Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have been tinkering around with some custom variants. One involves playing The Others with 6 players, which has 2 Sins players, each using a unique Sin (with half the abominations) and a unique Acolyte (with 3 acolytes for each Sin player). This does give a normal total of abominations and acolytes, but does add in an extra controller, avatar, and use of an acolyte ability each round, as well as two Sin effects ongoing.

To balance this out for the Faith players, I have created some additional characters to mix into the battles in Haven.

These are Citizens, and they will eventually belong to different groups (some more useful than others). The first group I have created is called The Neighborhood Watch, and they're normal folks who've stumbled onto what's going on in Haven, and they are trying to fight it out.

The way the rules are currently working for the Citizens is:

- You can bring one into the game in lieu of a regular Faith hero (thus you can't start the game with any Citizens in play).
- When the Sins players kill a citizen, it doesn't count toward the normal number of kills necessary for Sin to win. Thus, the Faith players still have the usual number of heroes in reserve, but bringing in a Citizen can hopefully help the heroes get some objectives completed with an expendable character.
- Citizens do not automatically start with any upgrades, so if your hero was killed (and had two upgrades), they are discarded rather than getting added to the revealed pool while the new hero takes the same number.
- Citizens are usually a little weaker than the normal heroes. Note that Dave below doesn't have the same Corruption benefits as a standard hero.
- It still takes 5 wounds to kill a citizen; they can take voluntary corruption to gain bonuses; they can activate districts like a normal hero (and gain upgrades in this manner).
- When a Citizen dies, any upgrades he/she had are added to the face up pool and the replacing Faith hero takes the same number of upgrades.
- You must replace Citizens with Faith heroes.
- Each non-Sin player can only ever bring in a Citizen once per game, so the Sins players can keep targeting that player in order to prevent new ones from entering.

I'm using my Zombicide minis for Citizens so far, but I will eventually make player boards for some other minis that I have (and I have quite a few).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
The Warp wrote:
So I have been tinkering around with some custom variants. One involves playing The Others with 6 players, which has 2 Sins players, each using a unique Sin (with half the abominations) and a unique Acolyte (with 3 acolytes for each Sin player). This does give a normal total of abominations and acolytes, but does add in an extra controller, avatar, and use of an acolyte ability each round, as well as two Sin effects ongoing.

To balance this out for the Faith players, I have created some additional characters to mix into the battles in Haven.

These are Citizens, and they will eventually belong to different groups (some more useful than others). The first group I have created is called The Neighborhood Watch, and they're normal folks who've stumbled onto what's going on in Haven, and they are trying to fight it out.

The way the rules are currently working for the Citizens is:

- You can bring one into the game in lieu of a regular Faith hero (thus you can't start the game with any Citizens in play).
- When the Sins players kill a citizen, it doesn't count toward the normal number of kills necessary for Sin to win. Thus, the Faith players still have the usual number of heroes in reserve, but bringing in a Citizen can hopefully help the heroes get some objectives completed with an expendable character.
- Citizens do not automatically start with any upgrades, so if your hero was killed (and had two upgrades), they are discarded rather than getting added to the revealed pool while the new hero takes the same number.
- Citizens are usually a little weaker than the normal heroes. Note that Dave below doesn't have the same Corruption benefits as a standard hero.
- It still takes 5 wounds to kill a citizen; they can take voluntary corruption to gain bonuses; they can activate districts like a normal hero (and gain upgrades in this manner).
- When a Citizen dies, any upgrades he/she had are added to the face up pool and the replacing Faith hero takes the same number of upgrades.
- You must replace Citizens with Faith heroes.
- Each non-Sin player can only ever bring in a Citizen once per game, so the Sins players can keep targeting that player in order to prevent new ones from entering.

I'm using my Zombicide minis for Citizens so far, but I will eventually make player boards for some other minis that I have (and I have quite a few).

This seems very interesting. I love it, myself, though, I imagine FAITH, the Hell Club, and the Sons of Ragnarok have their own opinions (keep in mind, that these are how I imagine the characters feel about the Neighborhood Watch, and do not reflect my own views on them):

FAITH: "Seriously? We work our tails off - literally, in some cases - trying to keep regular people like these guys from getting killed and letting them go on with their happy little lives, and they just decide to go out and try and kill themselves?!? *Sigh* Still, I suppose most of us were regular folks at some point or another, and we might need every ally we can get..."
The Hell Club: "Like meat to the grinder... Heh, heh, heh... Having said that, we sometimes wish they wouldn't bring down our Acolyte recruitment..."
The Sons of Ragnarok: "They're like us, but without the outstanding warrants. We love it!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I start thinking of additional "Citizen" types, I will definitely be playing around with factions that aren't necessarily on the side of law, and some that may even play around with how much they are already corrupted (or what happens to them if they max out on corruption). I think there's so much room to play around with this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom W -
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I love this idea.

Here's another minor twist - if the citizen gets to 7 corruption maybe they might become an abomination themselves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I am already tinkering with a set of Citizens that will do that... they are pretty powerful, so that players are very tempted to use them, but run the risk of adding to the Sin player's horde.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Garvin
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Here's another minor twist - if the citizen gets to 7 corruption maybe they might become an abomination themselves?

I love it! I figure 3/3 for Corrupted Citizens?

I don't think each Citizen should have their own Corrupted variant, however; I would just use a "universal" Corrupted Citizen ability, like;

Summon a Corrupted Citizen to a (non-ranged) Fight, then increase the Corruption of any one Citizen by one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.