$15.00
$30.00
$20.00
$5.00
Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tile placement conditions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yan P.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
So, the card "Industrial Area" allows one to place a special tile adjacent to a city tile.

What happens when there is no city tile on the board yet? In the absence of a "Must" in the text, we'd played that, like forests, if there was no adjacent tile, the tile could be played anywhere.

How do others play it?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weiding Han
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The restrictions are different from greenery tiles which the rules include explicitly the conditional "If possible". For Industrial Area, we'd rule that the tile cannot be placed.

Additionally, the card can be played even if the tile cannot be placed.


Edit: I had forgotten about that thread. Thanks for pointing out!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lowbeam wrote:
The restrictions are different from greenery tiles which the rules include explicitly the conditional "If possible". For Industrial Area, we'd rule that the tile cannot be placed.

Additionally, the card can be played even if the tile cannot be placed.


That's not true anymore. In this discussion (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1619356/lava-flows) it was stated that a card can't be played if the tile can't be placed. It was an old rule that unfortunately wasn't removed from the rules.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Xatham wrote:
What happens when there is no city tile on the board yet? In the absence of a "Must" in the text, we'd played that, like forests, if there was no adjacent tile, the tile could be played anywhere.

This is similar to the wording for Mining Area, which tells you to place the tile adjacent to another tile you own. Like you, I first interpreted this to be the equivalent of the general placement rule for greeneries, which also must be placed adjacent to another of your tiles - if possible, and if not, you just place it anywhere (reserved spots excluded).

However, as per the clarification that Bruce linked above, I got that wrong, and the standard rule for special tiles is: You must place them according to the text on the card, and if that's not possible, then you cannot play the card.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan P.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Bruiser419 wrote:
lowbeam wrote:
The restrictions are different from greenery tiles which the rules include explicitly the conditional "If possible". For Industrial Area, we'd rule that the tile cannot be placed.

Additionally, the card can be played even if the tile cannot be placed.


That's not true anymore. In this discussion (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1619356/lava-flows) it was stated that a card can't be played if the tile can't be placed. It was an old rule that unfortunately wasn't removed from the rules.


Good to know! I had been playing as though that rule was golden.

Agree with the consensus here for reasons posted - will amend my play from now on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan P.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
What about the situation like "Artificial Lake" where you have to place an ocean in a non-standard location? Is it still playable if all 9 oceans have already been placed (to get the 1 VP on the last turn once everything else has been exhausted, mind).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xatham wrote:
What about the situation like "Artificial Lake" where you have to place an ocean in a non-standard location? Is it still playable if all 9 oceans have already been placed (to get the 1 VP on the last turn once everything else has been exhausted, mind).


I believe you are allowed to play that as the rules state:

1) Check the requirements.
In order to play a card you must meet its requirements
and be able to perform the effects stated on the card,
with the following exceptions: You may play a card that...
- raises global parameters that have already reached
their goal (for example when there are no more ocean tiles, or
when the temperature is at +8 °C).

- adds resources that you can’t collect (for example
adding microbe resources without having any microbe
project to place them on).
-removes resources for any player (red-bordered
resource icons, see example on card C below) if you can’t or
do not wish to.
Even if these effects can’t be performed, you may still play the
card, performing all other effects as usual.

(bolded for emphasis)
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.