Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple quick clarifications:

1) For your solomode opponent, can you clarify what "his" island groups are? For example, for the "1 Village per Island" chit, it says to give him one village on each of his island groups. Would those be controlled island groups? Island groups occupied by one of his pieces? (In the multiplayer game things don't seem to be counted as "yours" until you control it, but I figure this is probably different.)

If it's the latter (my guess, so that his village actually spread), then would the same apply to the "transport canoe chain" chit? Meaning that he will attempt to connect every island group that already has at least one of his pieces on it?

2) For Order of Precedence #3 for placement of enemy warrior bands, are there any restrictions? Can he start a combat this way? For example, an island group where I have only a transport canoe would be an island group with no villages and no warrior bands, so is that an eligible place for him to drop in (and chase me off, the jerk). I'm assuming the Independent Island Groups aren't eligible either?

3) This applies to the multiplayer game too, I guess: Are Atolls considered Island Groups? They're considered Island Group Tiles, according to the component descriptions. And the VP rules say "Island Groups with no Village boxes are uninhabitable Atolls..." which would imply they are considered Island Groups. The last bullet under the Explore Action section of the solo rules makes the same implication: "Place a Samoan Transport Canoe on every Island Group that is found, including Atolls". (The FAQ does it too: "But of course, every Island Group (even Atolls) has an unlimited capacity.")

But then other places in the rules say "Island Groups and Atolls," or calls them out separately, which makes it sound like they're different.

There are a few places in the solo rules where just Island Groups are referenced and I'm trying to figure out if Atolls are a part of that.

4) If your opponent wins a battle and saves a village, is there an order of precedence to what piece they would remove to do so, or is it simply random?

5) There are (unlikely, but possible) situations where none of the Order of Precedence for Warrior Band placing would apply. Should step 5 also include Island Groups with the same number of Warrior Bands and Villages?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of (sorry, not-so-quick) answers for you:

pusherman42 wrote:
1) For your solomode opponent, can you clarify what "his" island groups are? ...(In the multiplayer game things don't seem to be counted as "yours" until you control it, but I figure this is probably different.)

You are correct, the references to "his" island groups in the Solitaire rules do NOT refer to Controlled Island Groups. They are any Island Groups with your "opponent's" pieces on it. This is clear, since under the Solitaire Exploration rules, you always place an enemy Transport Canoe on any Island Group that your "opponent" discovers. They will remain there unless you successfully attack them.

pusherman42 wrote:
...would the same apply to the "transport canoe chain" chit? Meaning that he will attempt to connect every island group that already has at least one of his pieces on it?

Yes.

pusherman42 wrote:
2) For Order of Precedence #3 for placement of enemy warrior bands, are there any restrictions?

Yes, the Warrior Band must be placed on "his" island groups. So Battles can not be initiated this way, only with an Attack! chit.

pusherman42 wrote:
I'm assuming the Independent Island Groups aren't eligible either?

Correct.

pusherman42 wrote:
3) Are Atolls considered Island Groups?

Yes.

After years of experience with people reading the rules, one of the biggest problems was people skimming over this definition near the beginning of the rules, and thinking that Atolls were somehow not Island Groups. So at later points in the rules, I added the emphasis (e.g. "Island Groups and Atolls") to make the definition clear.

pusherman42 wrote:
4) If your opponent wins a battle and saves a village, is there an order of precedence to what piece they would remove to do so...?

Just like a real opponent, he will remove Warrior Bands before War Canoes. For an actual player, this is a no-brainer considering the costs.

pusherman42 wrote:
5) There are (unlikely, but possible) situations where none of the Order of Precedence for Warrior Band placing would apply. Should step 5 also include Island Groups with the same number of Warrior Bands and Villages?

Yes. That one wasn't worded quite right.

Hope this helps,

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Helps a ton! Thanks for the quick replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, one other quick thing. If Atolls are Island Groups, what does the Warrior Band Order of Precedent placement #4 cover that wouldn't already be covered by #3?

Seems like #3 would include all Atolls that don't already have a Warrior Band on them, so I'm just curious if I'm missing something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I wasn't exactly quick... blush

#3 Says "Island Groups with no Villages..." and so refers to Island Groups that could have a Village, but don't.

#4 Refers to Atolls- that is, Island Groups that can not have a Village.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Take less than 24 hours to respond to 5 nitpicky questions? How DARE you!

Thanks for the answers. I've won pretty handily twice now, so will have to start ratcheting up the difficulty. Or getting some friends. Whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pusherman42 wrote:
Take less than 24 hours to respond to 5 nitpicky questions? How DARE you!

Seems to me that I've been thinking about your questions for more than just a day now...

pusherman42 wrote:
I've won pretty handily twice now, so will have to start ratcheting up the difficulty.

Others have said the same thing. Maybe me and my playtesters just aren't very good solitaire game players...

Some suggestions: first, play with the Exploration option where you draw an extra chit if you find an Island Group with 3 or 4 boxes, not just 4. We went back and forth on this during playtesting, finally deciding that 4 would be the basic game and 3 or 4 the advanced game. For a really serious challenge, try 2, 3, or 4: so you will be drawing an extra chit each time you get an Island Group with more than 1 box on it! I never came close to winning when playing this way. surprise These adjustments are more fun than just increasing the number of VPs required to win.

pusherman42 wrote:
Or getting some friends.

I would say that's the better option! Preferably three friends- I think the game plays best with 4.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.