Math skills, double-guessing.

Key Ratings:
= Low
= High

Depth
Strategy
Luck
Player Interaction

This is a very fun and very interesting game of mixing and utilising card powers to best effect.

Short Description:

Roma is an interesting and fast playing game of maximising the use of dice and card powers. In Roma there is one way to win and one way to lose – which makes for some very interesting tactical decisions. Because there is a way to win and a way to lose the game provides you really, with two options for winning – in one you can focus on building up your own stack of victory points (whoever reaches ten wins), in the other you can focus on reducing your opponents victory point stack to zero (if you reach zero you lose).

Each turn the players roll three dice, they may then ‘spend’ those dice to achieve different things. In the middle of the table are 6 round disks, on either side of which players will place cards. The disks are numbered 1 through to 6, and 1 to 3 of the dice rolled may be used to ‘activate’ a card that has been played against its number (a dice roll of 4 may be used to activate the card placed next to the 4). The other ways of spending the dice is to 1) use a dice rolled to collect money (you receive as much money as the number on the dice), or 2) use a dice rolled to pick up a number of cards equal to the number on the dice.

The range and interaction of the choices available makes for some interesting play – and means also that players will often be forced to choose between one, two or three tough decisions – something that is excellent fun. Players use the money bought to build cards from their hand, these cards in turn have special powers that either affect the player themselves, or the opponent.

The range of choices, clever character powers, means of either getting points for yourself or depriving your opponent of them makes for a tense and fascinating two player game. The components are well constructed and the game looks as nice as it plays. All in all Roma is a fun, light and little two player game.

By: Giles Pritchard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
with two options for winning – in one you can focus on building up your own stack of victory points (whoever reaches ten wins), in the other you can focus on reducing your opponents victory point stack to zero (if you reach zero you lose).

I recently played this for the first time and I thought I was told that if the supply of victory point chips ran out, this would end the game with the player holding the greater becoming the winner.

I agree with you summation. An fun and tense little two player game with plenty of interaction and a nice blend of strategy and randomness. The interaction that different cards create in combination leads to a thoughly enjoyable game with lots to discover and multiple paths to victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Verdonck
Belgium
Edegem
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AngusBull wrote:
Quote:
with two options for winning – in one you can focus on building up your own stack of victory points (whoever reaches ten wins), in the other you can focus on reducing your opponents victory point stack to zero (if you reach zero you lose).

I recently played this for the first time and I thought I was told that if the supply of victory point chips ran out, this would end the game with the player holding the greater becoming the winner.

I agree with you summation. An fun and tense little two player game with plenty of interaction and a nice blend of strategy and randomness. The interaction that different cards create in combination leads to a thoughly enjoyable game with lots to discover and multiple paths to victory.
That's correct.
The rules clearly state that the game ends when there are no victory points left in the stockpile. The player with the most victory points wins. There's also a note specifying that if not enough victory points are left in the stockpile for the last payout, you still get the missing points credited.
Winning the game after reaching 10 victory points would be really easy, seeing the fact that you start with 10 victory points minus some (mostly 2) on your first turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're both spot on - I think that being able to lose is a clever way of providing your opponent another way of winning. If you can deprive your opponent of the ability to score any victory points you are deliberately causing them to lose points. If they get to zero they're out of it. One of the reasons I think this game has more than may meet the immediate eye is because you can win by playing to score for yourself, you can win by stopping your opponent from scoring (causing them to lose points), and you can win by playing a game that rests in the middle.

A very fun little filler!

Thanks for teh comments!

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls