Subject: Question Regarding Worker Placement/Pulling rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael R

Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played our first game, and encountered an issue that I'm not was game design error so much as user error.

We got to a point where we had only white workers. Thus we could no longer raid black/gray spaces. Since we needed to raid to make offerings, we couldn't trigger the end game.

Is this possible if the game is played correctly, where you lock yourself out of certain areas on the board because the workers on previously raided spaces can no longer be picked up?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Grenier
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is more than one game trigger. The game also ends if there is only one Fortresses left or if there is no Valkyries left

You only needs one of those three conditions to trigger the end of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R

Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThunderingGiraffe wrote:
There is more than one game trigger. The game also ends if there is only one Fortresses left or if there is no Valkyries left

You only needs one of those three conditions to trigger the end of game.

Right, but all 3 require raiding. Is it possible to get yourself into a situation where you can't raid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So all the worker spots at the bottom of the board were filled with white workers?

You couldn't pick up any black or grey ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, in 2-3 player games it is possible to lock yourself out of Outposts and Harbours if you rush the higher raids. This can happen mainly if all Monasteries are raided with grey workers, rather than white.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R

Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shem84 wrote:
Yes, in 2-3 player games it is possible to lock yourself out of Outposts and Harbours if you rush the higher raids. This can happen mainly if all Monasteries are raided with grey workers, rather than white.

So would the game end at that point? Or rather, once no one can raid anymore or make offerings due to not being able to get the needed offering items?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can keep raiding the fortresses on the top of the board.... the final round also happens when five fortresses are raided (even if there are other un-raided spots on the board), so you cannot be locked from finishing the game.

Having mostly or only white workers by that point of the game is normal in my experience, unless the game ends prematurely because everyone made a lot of offerings or almost all the valkyries were on the bottom, but that has only happened a handful of times for me. Raiding the 5th fortress is the more common endgame trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mikols
United States
Avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most like why the game will end is raiding the 5th fortress. I have over 30 plays and never seen a game end due to offerings. With all white vikings in town getting gold at the mill to raid fortresses should not be a problem.
There is other ways to get resources if you're looking to make offers. White viking in the mill. Discarding 2 cards at the treasury. Viking card passive abilities.
As Shem said, you can lock yourself out of areas, but at no time is a path to end a game ever blocked. Sounds like there was just some unfamiliarity with the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R

Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohhh ok. I misread the rules; I thought all but one raiding spaces in general triggered the end game. Seeing now that it's just the fortresses makes a lot more sense.

Thank you for clearing that up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chris0zz wrote:
The most like why the game will end is raiding the 5th fortress. I have over 30 plays and never seen a game end due to offerings.

Interesting. I've only played the game 8 times but every time it ended due to the offerings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it around 20 to 25 times and fortresses is the most common endgame around here. Two or three times it's been for offerings, and only twice for collecting all the valkyries (very luck dependant during setup, requires that most valkyries are drawn in the bottom and middle spots, not on the fortresses).

I guess it varies a lot depending on each group's strategies and what the resource and valkyries distribution lets you to do from the start. We have a couple of players that tend to focus on raiding fortresses as soon as possible for the high VPs, ignoring any other unraided spots and offerings, and that helps to precipitate the end of the game for that reason, because if there are not a lot of valkyries up there to slow them down, the other players have to step up and also raid the fortresses to prevent them from running away with all those points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crispin Moakler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
We've only played 3 times but it's always been ended by fortresses and didn't feel even close to the other options happening.

I won the last one (but not the other two) and I did so by hitting fortresses as early as possible but only once I had built up 8 provisions and 3 gold. I also replaced an early dead crew member with one that reduces the gold cost of raiding them by one.

The 'Rush the Fortresses' strategy can be undermined by clever use of cards - if I'd had my provisions reduced even slightly I'd have been back in the village getting more for at least one turn and if someone had placed a black or grey worker in the mill I'd have had serious problems as I'd not have had the required worker the turn after!

Cards to use to stop this tactic; Barbarian to steal 1 gold, Warmonger to steal 1 provision, Archer to give them a black/grey worker, Champion to make everyone lose 1 provision, Less efficiently, Berserker might cost them VPs and Mercenary might just cost them a provision if they're out of silver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.