GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,906 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » Rules

Subject: Simultaneity issue when failing adventures... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shoggoth
Argentina
Rosario
Santa Fe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
RULEBOOK, page 9:

If a failed roll forces the player to discard his last die, he fails the adventure and suffers its penalties.

"fails the adventure AND suffers its penalties" ... are triggered simultaneously????

what about if I'm BLESSED... and I failed the adventure, and the penalty is a CURSED icon??

I discard the Blessed card due to the failing adventure... and then apply the penalty: now I'm Cursed!?

thanks people for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Van Vlaenderen
Belgium
Lissewege
Belgie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think so indeed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mentorius wrote:
Quote:
RULEBOOK, page 9:

If a failed roll forces the player to discard his last die, he fails the adventure and suffers its penalties.

"fails the adventure AND suffers its penalties" ... are triggered simultaneously????

what about if I'm BLESSED... and I failed the adventure, and the penalty is a CURSED icon??

I discard the Blessed card due to the failing adventure... and then apply the penalty: now I'm Cursed!?

Penalties are a side-effect of failure, so failure necessarily happens before the penalty. Thus i would toss the Blessed card because of the failure and then take the penalty (Curses card).

That said, losing an Adventure always triggers loss of the Blessed card, and there is no explicit ordering requirement (that i am aware of) for that side-effect vs. application of the Adventure's penalties. Ergo... i "guess" you could apply them in any order. So you "could" (IMO) discard the Blessing to avoid catching the Curse. However, since this is a Cthulhu-themed game, and a prevalent common feature of this theme is that the Investigators get screwed over at every possible opportunity, i suspect that it thematically makes more sense to first lose the Blessing then take the Curse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
#MeToo
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd read this exactly as Stephan had. The real question should be if there's an action window between losing the adventure and suffering the consequences, but this is entirely another kettle of fish (that hopefully the next FAQ will clarify)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it the case that if you're blessed and become cursed you simply lose the blessing? As per the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
XIPULOXX FHTAGN!
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
Isn't it the case that if you're blessed and become cursed you simply lose the blessing? As per the rules?

Yes, but you also lose the blessing for failing the adventure, so the question is what happens if one of the adventure's penalties is that you become cursed?

I'd agree with the others: first you lose the blessing for failing the adventure, then you take the adventure's penalties, which in this case means you become cursed.

Otherwise you're effectively not taking that penalty (since you would lose the blessing anyway, regardless of the penalties on the particular adventure).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoggoth
Argentina
Rosario
Santa Fe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:

No.

In this case there are 2 ways of losing the Blessed card: by failing the adventure.... and by applying the penalty (cursed)

But the issue here is: both actions are triggered simultaneously (so only lose the Blessed card)?????? ...... or each actions are individual and one is resolved and then the other (in this case lose the Blessed card by failing the adventure... and gain the Cursed card for the penalty)

we need a new FAQ 2.0!! :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
Carcking wrote:

Yes, but you also lose the blessing for failing the adventure...

Ah, yes, I was forgetting that part. Thanks for the reminder.
Then there's no doubt for me. Sequence = determine outcome of adventure (pass/fail), apply effects on curse/blessing, then take reward/penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.