Subject: Am I missing something, or is it meant to be this hard? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I are loving this game. It's very thematic and immersive, as well as tactically challenging.

As a group of experienced, hardcore gamers, at standard difficulty, we're 0/3 so far. I wouldn't like the game if it were a walkover, but so far it seems like this game is darn near impossible.

It seems like with all the items needed for a plot, unless you have general beck or the precious, precious 'recruited officer' card, most plots cap out at around 4-5 dice. Under ideal conditions, you need 3 successes. At 1/3 per die of a success, those are long odds, and considering the scarcity of items and the time needed to gather them, the cost of failure is steep.

Is there something we're missing? If not, I guess we'll just need to keep trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played once, but my gut is telling me that it isn't supposed to be easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My math skills are a little rusty, but if I've got this right, the odds of success when Hitler is at 3 military support and you have 5 dice to roll is 1/11. This is normally the best shot you will get, and it seems like in a typical game you will make between 2-4 such attempts.

An absolute BEST case scenario, where you have a 5 dice plot, General Beck, AND the recruited officer card, your odds are 1/5.

Considering how difficult it is to set that up, standard difficulty is BRUTAL.

(Edit) And those odds ignore the black eagles! I haven't thoroughly looked through the conspirator cards yet. Perhaps there are some other powerful cards that allow for re-rolls or something. I'll have to check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that you have plots that allow you to add more dice with some extra items (the ones with the asterisk).
I played twice, we won both time, although first time with had a couple rules wrong, but we managed to role 7/8 dice each plot attempt. There's also a card that adds 2 more dice and 2 cards that allow re-rolls.

I'm not saying it's easy, but can get a 50/50 shot at least. Just go for the plots that can, at least, give you 6 dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I may have been playing a a higher player count than you were. At 3+ players, conspirators have an item limit of three. So far, the plots I've seen with stackable items usually involve another type of item as well, so you get a total of 5 dice (1 base, 1 for appropriate conspirator type, and 3 for items.)

In a 1-2 player game, you can carry a 4th item, so I guess you can squeeze a sixth die out of a plot.

Even then, at 3 military support, 6 dice +1 from Beck +2 from a card still only equals a 1/4 chance, and the stars REALLY need to align for even that to happen.

Can I ask, what player count and difficulty level were you playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read the subject of this thread, my first thought was, "That's what she said."

I know, I'm such a child.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, the kind of kid that I am too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
themanfromsaturn wrote:
I think I may have been playing a a higher player count than you were. At 3+ players, conspirators have an item limit of three. So far, the plots I've seen with stackable items usually involve another type of item as well, so you get a total of 5 dice (1 base, 1 for appropriate conspirator type, and 3 for items.)

In a 1-2 player game, you can carry a 4th item, so I guess you can squeeze a sixth die out of a plot.

Even then, at 3 military support, 6 dice +1 from Beck +2 from a card still only equals a 1/4 chance, and the stars REALLY need to align for even that to happen.

Can I ask, what player count and difficulty level were you playing?

We played both games with 4 players...
Won the first in step 6...

Won the second in step 5... We had 1 die for hittler being in the correct place... We had 1 die because the conspirator was the correct faction... We had 3 dice from 3 weapon items plus 1 from the weapon card that you can use as an item... 1 die from the signature item if I recall correctly... We had 4 items because it was part of the special ability of the player.
So a total of 7 dice if I remember correctly.

We played in Standard difficulty and Hitler support was at 4... We still had 2 cards for re-rolls but we didn't need them...

It's a game of preparation... You can't rush in and try to get the fast kill... But with good preparation you can greatly mitigate the luck factor of the dice roll.

Like the game a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We actually had everything set up for a fast kill, just needed one more Motivation bump, then a couple of things went against us, had to discard items and got shafted. Excellent game, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuckster williams
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
General Beck looks like a valuable asset. Unfortunately, he was not in my set. Hopefully, I will receive his card shortly. Until then, can someone please post his special ability? It will be greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Missing him too. If someone could post a scan, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip duBarry
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Uploading the Beck board--waiting for mods.

Quite an interesting thread! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuckster williams
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for posting the General Beck card. Ironically, I received an email today stating the General Beck card is being sent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here. Great service. Also, a great game. Took this with me to a local Con and a player I respect very much gave this a try with us, despite his total dislike of co-op. We had a blast, despite losing. He said it was the highlight of the Con for him. That's a ringing endorsement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do hope that more options to mitigate the number of dice available to roll on a plot become available if any expansions are made.

For example, couldn't having a fellow conspirator on the same space add a die? I know some plots do this, but I'd love for more options to exist that would let you choose to manipulate the situation to your favor in ways that aren't just "hope you've drawn that card that gives you two dice."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Cheatham
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Played once and we won with 7 dice and one reroll....lucky. In our game, I managed to be able to roll 7 dice on a plot attempt and just hung around berlin waiting for hitler to get back and the military to get down to three. everyone else help keep my morale in check and my suspicion down. At first available attempt we got him. Had the dice failed, there was no way we would have been able to regroup for a second attempt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that makes the game about as thematic as you can ask for. How many chances could you realistically expect to get? Great stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it's extremely thematic, and, don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the game and think it's a clever as hell design (apart from the Lost the Game card, but see the other thread for that). I just wish there were some ways to mitigate the number of dice you get that didn't rely so much on slightly rare random card draws is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmel Jones
msg tools
Is there a card missing from this print run?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some boxes are missing one character or another with doubles of one. I got 2 Goerdelers, but was missing Beck. GS is quick about getting back and have already said that my replacement is en route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmel Jones
msg tools
senorcoo wrote:
Some boxes are missing one character or another with doubles of one. I got 2 Goerdelers, but was missing Beck. GS is quick about getting back and have already said that my replacement is en route.

Thank you. Just had me a bit worried about ordering it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.