GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,992 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Attack on Titan: Deck-Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Fun game but that difficulty... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Lawhun
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Tried playing it two player tonight, and while we had fun it seemed way too hard to get decent decks going before the first major titan came out.

There are a few suggestions in the rules to make it a little easier, so we will likely start there, but I would be interested in hearing if anyone else found the game as hard as we did or if maybe we just had a bad shuffle or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Tsekos

Kalamata and/or Athens
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now im more interested for this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Your post is somehow reminding me of Lord of the Rings:the Living Card Game. I think it's one of the base game scenarios (Journey Down the Anduin, perhaps?) when a Hill Troll is imminent. I suspect it's somewhat equivalent to that first Titan. However I hope it plays out very, very differently.
In LOTR there's no real strategy for dealing with the Troll, you just need a certain card. It's a lousy and frustrating requirement, and really foreshadowed my ultimate feelings for the game.
I do hope that there are at least one or two possible strategies for dealing with this early Titan.
I want a difficult game, but I don't want the earliest steps to depend on luck of the draw. That would be disheartening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lawhun
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
It certainly isn't based on drawing a single card. You go through 12 to 14 cards before you even have a chance to draw the first archenemy titan, and then it is shuffled somewhere in the middle of the next 12 to 14 cards.

You go through a number of cards per turn equal to the number of players, so two players will get a minimum of 6 or 7 turns to prepare for the first really nasty encounter. But there are also lesser titans in the main deck, so you might have already had to deal with a few titans in the first 12 or so cards. Every bit of power you spend to defeat the lesser titans is power that one of the players isn't spending to improve their deck. So the challenge is to have at least one deck with enough power to deal the killing blow to the archenemy by the time it comes out, or shortly thereafter. If it comes out as soon as possible, that can be a pretty tall order. So there is some luck involved regarding how long you have to prepare for each archenemy, as well as what cards have been available to add to your decks along the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
spaminator wrote:
Tried playing it two player tonight, and while we had fun it seemed way too hard to get decent decks going before the first major titan came out.

There are a few suggestions in the rules to make it a little easier, so we will likely start there, but I would be interested in hearing if anyone else found the game as hard as we did or if maybe we just had a bad shuffle or something.

Now that I have played I totally see where you are going with this. Yes, that first Titan is one tough ninnymuggins. It was my first game and I even overlooked drawing a Titans on Attack card for her, which would have made her crazy hard.
It's just my first game and I do feel that I had a "fair" opportunity to build my deck and position myself. However, if she came out any sooner it would have been a fast game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brenycz
msg tools
mb
It's does seem like a steep difficulty, at least in the solo variant. Played a few times and got crushed by the first archenemy, only coming close to beating it once.

At least with the solo variant if you end up drawing regular titans early on this will really hurt, because it takes turns spending power to take them out instead of building up your deck. Once the smiling titan comes out, even with a good draw it will take a few turns and you'll need to absorb the damage to the wall which will start killing your secondary characters & the main hero quickly. Seems very tight I'd hear if anyone's made it far in solo.

What seemed to help was focusing on getting power and taking 3D gears early over some of the move cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
ANTIDEAD wrote:
?.. and taking 3D gears early over some of the move cards.

Agreed. That's a good strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rossoft rossoft
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For me the difficulty is way too high. I play solo 2-handed, and the first archenemy is already making havoc. I am thinking on just playing 3 archenemy by creating 5 piles (without removing any pile). Not sure if it will be too easy then. I tried once and seemed to be about right, I won but I struggled!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
We got stomped in our first attempt with 3 players. But we also didn't know what we were doing and were just learning the game.

Today we tried again with 2, and beat it. Just.

I would suggest for the first Archtitan you don't feel the need to attack it right away. Try to limit its damage to the walls but don't waste power attacking it if you don't have a good enough deck for the finishing blow, which can indeed be very hard to pull off.

We had actually lost 2 walls before we took it down, if memory serves. They were both at 1 token left because some titans came out very early and we didn't draw enough power to take them out for a few rounds. So the Archtitan we let run riot for 2 rounds, it destroyed the 2 outer tiles. We just used that time to buy some more good cards.

What does seem a bit odd in this game is that there is no 'build your hand' mechanism. You always discard your hand at the end of the turn. This makes those finishing blows quite hard to pull off.

Anyway, as someone who has managed to win once (we don't think we cheated in any way, but it's hard to be sure!) that would be my tip; don't be scared to let it destroy some walls, or to take a wound or two without actually trying to defeat it yet. It will just keep healing and causing more damage, and you won't be getting any stronger because you're wasting power on the titan rather than buying cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first 2 player game today and it was a train-wreck! The third archenemy titan is a beast. The "move points determine the amount of playable damage" is so hard to deal with. Before we knew it we had two deaths and were down to one wall when the 4th titan showed up along side the third. Game over, man!

While I have no problem with difficult games and losing, when you are playing a game and you know there is a point where you simply will not win makes the rest of that game a slog. I knew with two walls standing that we would not win. In a two player game, if one player dies, you have no chance of beating the third titan because the new player only has a starter deck. It is impossible to come back from that.

I enjoyed the game and will continue to try and beat it but I think there will be very few games that we'll play all of the way through as it is too easy to see where it will end up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Actually, a dead player only destroys their current hand of cards. The rest of their deck stays. So you don't come back with just a starter deck. Sometimes a dying player will destroy a few Starter cards and their deck will get way better all at once.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Matt! That does help. Still brutal...but better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
United States
flag msg tools
I agree. While I love the difficulty, the pacing of the game feels too slow for it. It feels like we spend more time fighting titans than building our decks. When the big guys come out, we whittle down the health, and when they are down to their kill shot damage, we almost never have extra 3 or more power laying around. Maybe if there was even one titan on attack card that either punished the player big next turn, or just was a "hey, nothing happened."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
sergeantawesome wrote:
I agree. While I love the difficulty, the pacing of the game feels too slow for it. It feels like we spend more time fighting titans than building our decks. When the big guys come out, we whittle down the health, and when they are down to their kill shot damage, we almost never have extra 3 or more power laying around. Maybe if there was even one titan on attack card that either punished the player big next turn, or just was a "hey, nothing happened."

Reinforcements is almost a "Hey, nothing happened."
If there are key cards available to buy, let some Walls fall down.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Hyra wrote:
If there are key cards available to buy, let some Walls fall down.

Very much agreed. Especially with lower player counts.
It's (probably) going to happen anyway, might as well take the hit now, and make things that much more manageable for the rest of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Moore
msg tools
Kirk, I ran into the exactly the same situation (minus the 4th titan). Had been loading up one of my two decks with Power but wasn't able to do much of anything because I'd maybe get 4 Move a hand. I don't comprehend how I'm supposed to be able to generate a hand of at least 11 Move and 11 Power to defeat that Deviant archenemy titan when typically you only have your 5 cards. Have people done it before? Am I misunderstanding the rule and don't need to have all that Move and Power in one turn? I got down to two walls and gave up since I literally don't think either hand had the capacity to defeat that titan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
KMoPOSSE wrote:
Kirk, I ran into the exactly the same situation (minus the 4th titan). Had been loading up one of my two decks with Power but wasn't able to do much of anything because I'd maybe get 4 Move a hand. I don't comprehend how I'm supposed to be able to generate a hand of at least 11 Move and 11 Power to defeat that Deviant archenemy titan when typically you only have your 5 cards. Have people done it before? Am I misunderstanding the rule and don't need to have all that Move and Power in one turn? I got down to two walls and gave up since I literally don't think either hand had the capacity to defeat that titan.

The Move requirement is only for damage, and that damage can be applied over time. It regens a little, but you can stack it up over time. Going for the kill shot requires no Move.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Moore
msg tools
Thanks for clarifying, I did also see that in one of the other threads just a little bit ago! https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1671717/lots-questions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.