Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hey guys! I know it's been a long while, but I'm doing some work on the game in preparation for getting it "done" and going through a bunch of notes, I've got a lot of inquiries on Solo Play stuff.

So, I'm wondering, when you guys say Solo Play, are you guys more interested in playing a scenario with a single Hero, or are you leaning on the "Full party played by one person" angle?

It would be kinda difficult to balance a Solo Hero thing since the game has always kinda been based around the teamwork of four Heroes, but I'd be down to try something for a solo Hero.

On top of all that, let me know any features you'd all like to see in a solo campaign sort of deal! I'm definitely going to be making some sort of solo expansion after the official release of the game, since it seems to be a popular topic - and I have some ideas for how to craft the scenario, but I'd love to hear all your input on what you'd like to see.

Hope to hear from you all soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
For me solo play means I can play by myself without the whole hassle of having to entertain a bunch of people for a whole day.
Not that thats not fun but sometimes you just want to play a game. And perhapa just play a few turns and leave it on the table.

With Dungeon Crawlers a non DM variant is great. The numbers of heroes does not matter that much as long as its managable withou me forgetting to every ability they have. In fact its nice to see how heros can pull of some combos of each other. So a variable numver of heroes in a game is nice but single heroes is not necessary.

BTW: I recently got Shadows of Brimstone. Though single heroes are possible I still play with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Definitely a whole party.

For me, the fun of solo play would also be balancing my "resources" (e.g., my injured wizard, my poisoned rogue, and my burly fighter...) trying to tackle a dungeon. I'm an old DnD hand, and the whole single-hero-vs-the-world thing has never appealed to me.

Give me a whole party please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Whole party" would be my hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really mind either style. I like the idea of being able to scale down the party to one or two members, in case I want to play just a barbarian and a thief or something, but I'm not really bothered about having to control a whole party. I'd honestly be more concerned about the game not scaling well if I didn't have exactly 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Either is fine. I do enjoy the opportunity to play just 1-2 characters at a time for ease of management and to identify more with my character or characters, but understand the scaling difficulty for that. Being able to play a full game experience without an overlord would be enough, but the ability to scale it for playing less than 4 characters is nice if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Okay cool!

I've been brewing up some ideas for this, and I think I have something that'll be pretty interesting and actually work with the concept of random dungeons.

Since the scenarios themselves are going to be really "light" (in the sense that I don't have to create any/many maps since most of it will be laid out with the Dungeon Theme Decks) I'm going to be doing an Adventure Book that's meant to have lots of replay value and add lots of variety to the game when playing through this scenario. Story-wise, it's going to pick up a short while after the events of the Campaign included with the main game.

In addition, I want to add new Artifacts, possibly new Monsters, lots of new Events, and definitely lots of new Boss Monsters.

I'm thinking of adding maybe a new Class and/or a new Race.

Speaking of scaling to less Heroes - A While back I started redoing the Adventure Book, mainly making the maps included in the book look like the actual game components. I've also made new backs for the Treasure, Anger, and Dungeon Theme cards. So I'm now thinking of doing the card faces with graphics to match the game and the Adventure book, which would mean instead of the card saying "Two Mummies, one Goblin, three Doors, and one Chest", the card would instead show two Mummy icons, a Goblin icon, three Door icons, and a Chest icon. This way it's more colorful and easier to read. ANYWAY! I was thinking if I did things this way, I could split up the Monsters into four rows on the cards. Each row on the card would represent one Hero in the Adventure. If only one is present, then only Monsters on the first row would appear. If two are present, then the first two rows of monsters will appear in the room. If there's three, then you use the first three rows, and if it's a full party, you throw in all the Monsters pictured. So not only can the size of Monster groups be scaled based on the amount of players, but also the harder Monsters, like Mummies and Hulks, can appear mostly on the third and fourth rows on the cards, making them pretty rare for small groups. Of course, some encounters are designed to be tougher than others, and tough encounters may very well put a Hulk in the first row.

So yeah! Let me know what you guys think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Rivera
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Icons are IMHO are a better alternative to words on cards for many reasons (space, easier layout, just to name a couple).

I believe the monsters-by-row design on the cards would work well for this game, addressing multiple solutions at once.

A new Class and/or a new Race would be welcomed and offer even more player choices.

I enjoy your game and use the miniatures from Dungeon Saga by Mantic Games. Those seem to work best for my group.

Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes to all those questions.
How are you smackwell, and good holiday seasons to you.
new class and race sounds fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.