Hide
11 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Impossible to win first scenario? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre Smothers
msg tools
We played a game and made it all the way to the end. You have to go through the portal, then solve the puzzle and perform the ritual to close the portal finally. Well, we had 3 investigators, all with 3 lore, and it asked us to make a lore check. We could use any evidence to turn investigation results to success results. Well, we rolled the max of 3 successes and it still failed? Is it literally impossible for us to win? That seems kind of shitty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Successes accumulate from attempt to attempt, like a lot of other checks in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Tetsuo2k wrote:
We played a game and made it all the way to the end. You have to go through the portal, then solve the puzzle and perform the ritual to close the portal finally. Well, we had 3 investigators, all with 3 lore, and it asked us to make a lore check. We could use any evidence to turn investigation results to success results. Well, we rolled the max of 3 successes and it still failed? Is it literally impossible for us to win? That seems kind of shitty.

As said the tests where you enter your score accumulative. Behind the scenes at least. So if you attempt it a second time it will probably pass.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Also, it may have been harder because you got to the portal late. Everytime I've played it has been a ritual and not a portal, and three successes were enough. I think if you take too long to go through the door it becomes a portal and it is harder to stop.

Still, not impossible, you just need to attempt it more than once. The next value you enter will be added to your initial score of three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Grozdanich

Santa Clara
CA California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That takes roughly 15 successes to complete.
may vary based on player number though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
samuraislyr wrote:
That takes roughly 15 successes to complete.
may vary based on player number though.

So that's why my group lost. We had about 12 when we lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Get there earlier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three Headed Monkey wrote:
Get there earlier

This.

A lot of new players want to spend a lot of time investigating every exploration token. You shouldn't. Spending too much time getting to the end (in pretty much every scenario) means the end is going to be a lot more difficult. Make some touch decisions, just explore what sounds important to the story and move on. HURRY TO THAT END! And it will be a lot easier.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Smothers
msg tools
Get there earlier

We def could have, but 2 of the players are very new to board games. I let them just play their own way as I didn't want to start quarterbacking. Everyone liked the game though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Mead
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Having fun is the point. Winning over losing is just a bonus.

I find it more in keeping with the Mythos that the investigators find out what is going a little too late to actually stop it - in very few of the original stories do the 'heroes' triumph.

Losing is fine, as long as you had fun doing it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Tetsuo2k wrote:
Get there earlier

We def could have, but 2 of the players are very new to board games. I let them just play their own way as I didn't want to start quarterbacking. Everyone liked the game though!

Fair enough, and that's good. I'm glad everyone had fun. It is good to make sure, though, that the players know that the game gets harder the longer you take and sometimes you have to make a choice between exploring and progressing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick B.
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
MoM Scenarios are like bittersweet wine - it will be never as good as the first time.
Since when you played a scenario one time before, you simply know what to do and often "rush" through the story to complete the mission, which is - at least in my opinion - a real atmosphere killer.

At least some of them have some kind of replayability through different monsters & map layouts, but the key events never change, so you know what to do - making most Scenarios a lot easier. That's btw the major problem with the 2nd Edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.