Fleet: Arctic Bounty» Forums » General

Subject: That setup though.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Long
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
So, let me start by saying I like fleet, especially the theme. I love the theme in fact. However, one thing i don't like about this game is the setup. It takes awhile to sort the cards after a round and then if i want to play a few different fish/licenses I have to grab those and then shuffle them in. Then more setup with special licenses. Now obviously it's not s huge deal, but it absolutely stops the game from getting to the table. That I know.

So. Any ideas or strategies to lessen the setup?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A trick that I like to do is when we're done playing any game is I will shuffle any decks used thoroughly before putting them away so that they are already pre-shuffled for the next time we open the box. I also try to keep a "player kit" setup as well, some in baggies or whatever storage works best. These have all the typical player start cards, components, cubes, coins, etc. for whatever game it is in the box as well. Having your stuff somewhat organized prior to playing helps too, that way you aren't pawing through a pile of cards at the last minute to find something. Setup of a game is part of the whole experience for me so I don't mind too much. I hope some of this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Long
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
I get that. And that works great for many games.

I feel like Fleet is very different though. Each game you decide which fish you'd like to fish for and their licenses. This means the cards cannot be preshuffled after the game is finished. In fact they need to be sorted after the game is finished, so when you play another game you can grab the fish and licenses you'd like to play with. Unless you wanted to play with the exact same fish and licenses again and again, which with the arctic bounty why would you want to do that.

And then on top of it is the pregame setup once youve selected and shuffled the fish and licenses, that bit about maiking sure special licenses arent on the top of the pile for the auction.

I dont know. I really really like the theme and will likely play again, but the setup is a bit of a bear. So wondering if anyone has advice specific to this game. Def not trying to slam the game at all. I almost want to throw all of the fish and licenses in a pile and just go for it with the ability to scrap cards for something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely feel the same way about setup. I want to play the game a lot, then the thought of setting it up just deters me, and I end up playing something else. I just have a hard time keeping all the things I need to do straight and remembering what categories each card is (Dock card vs Bay card) and how many of each we are to use.

It's sort of the same reason I don't play Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game much, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Setup is a MAJOR pain with this game. Even though much of the setup process is similar in some ways to Dominion or other deck-builders, this one just seems to take forever. There's so much to untangle every time. Especially if you are playing with the expansion cards too. I made a combined rules booklet for that, but it doesn't help physically sorting things pre- and post-game. My partner and I rarely play the game partially because of the annoying setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fire Lord
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree. It's also the same problem I have with Among the Stars when you add the expansions in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had any issues with setup; All that's needed is to separate the premium licenses from the regular ones, discard some of each based on number of players, create a small stack without premium licenses, and then shuffle the rest together.
There's also no reason to ever separate the boar cards AFAIK and creating starting hands is done pretty quickly (and could be done when putting the game away for next time, in line with Dan's suggestion to shuffle the other boat cards)

Never played with the expansion though, maybe that is where the problem comes in. If so this thread should probably be moved to the correct forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Builder
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few suggestions that work for me.

1. After finishing play, do a full setup for the next game, then put everything away like that. Next time you want to play, it is ready to go. For some reason setting up after the game is psychologically easier than setting up before.

2. Have a few spare minutes during the day? Pull out the box and setup for a game. Then put it away. I find this very relaxing. Next time you want to play, no setup is required.

Maybe these ideas can help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
I haven't had any issues with setup; All that's needed is to separate the premium licenses from the regular ones, discard some of each based on number of players, create a small stack without premium licenses, and then shuffle the rest together.
There's also no reason to ever separate the boar cards AFAIK and creating starting hands is done pretty quickly (and could be done when putting the game away for next time, in line with Dan's suggestion to shuffle the other boat cards)

Never played with the expansion though, maybe that is where the problem comes in. If so this thread should probably be moved to the correct forum.

This is true. If you only have the base game, setup is very easy. It's all the expansion stuff that make it a chore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Long
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
Yes, I should move it to the arctic bounty forum. Now how to do that is another question...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rlong007 wrote:
Yes, I should move it to the arctic bounty forum. Now how to do that is another question...
Only mods/admins can do it AFAIK. Short of geekmailing one (and I have no clue who is responsible for it) the only way to get them to look into it is to hit the red X at next to the thread title (not the one for the first post!) and select "wrong forum".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.