Subject: determine range when at the edge of the map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeroen Van Hecke
Belgium
Lovendegem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about how to determine range when you are at the edge of the map.

As an example, consider the following scenario.
The numbers 1, 2 and 3 denote the range as seen from the position of the mech (O). The letter G denotes an empty grass space and the X spaces are spaces where there is no map tile present.

So if I want to calculate range, which scenario is the right one?

33333G
22223G
11123G
1O123G
XXX23G
XXX23G
XXX33G

or

33333G
22223G
11123G
1O123G
XXX23G
XXX33G
XXXGGG

And the following question:
Can I use a level 2 cyclotron to kill the minion on the space m, or does it need to be a level 3 cyclotron? Or is neither option possible, as the diagonal goes over the map edge.

GOGGGG
XXXGGG
XXXmGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm only going to hazard a guess here, as this is something that can only truly be answered by a developer.

My guess is that the non-existent tile is treated as if it is full of Massive Boulders. This would make your first option the correct one and you would be able to hit the Minion with a Level 2 Cyclotron.

You would also be able to take out that Minion (or one beyond it) with Tristana's Ka-Boom Schematic (damage first target in every direction).

I make this guess as Massive Boulders are treated like edges, yet we have rulings that show that you can count range and attack (excepting Ripsaw) through Massive Boulders. It would follow that you can count range and attack through edges too.

The lack of physical spaces in-between may cause the official ruling to differ, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kory Stevens
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, when I had this come up we counted range as if edge of the board was an obstacle, so you can count range through spaces that are off the board, it just seemed to make sense to me. I'm interested to hear an official stance though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We did the opposite, we didn't count range of the board. We ruled it different from shooting flames over a boulder. There is nothing to shoot over so we ruled this is not possible.

And imho even if the official answer would be this is allowed, we would still rule that it isn't. The game is easy enough as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prashant Saraswat
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I was so tempted to make a pun about edge cases, but I shall refrain I would agree with your assessments, guys. You can treat board edges (non-existent tiles) as Massive Boulders and thus option 1 would be correct in your example. To your followup, you can hit that minion but would need a level 3 Cyclotron to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
catzpaw wrote:
I was so tempted to make a pun about edge cases, but I shall refrain I would agree with your assessments, guys. You can treat board edges (non-existent tiles) as Massive Boulders and thus option 1 would be correct in your example. To your followup, you can hit that minion but would need a level 3 Cyclotron to do so.

Surely you mean Level 2 for the follow-up, as option 1 shows that the 2 spaces in question are at range 2.

Unless I'm somehow misreading the OP, the example they gave is this one:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prashant Saraswat
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yep my bad, the formatting was coming out strangely on my screen. In that situation level 2 Cyclotron would be needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.