Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Investigation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wesley sermeus
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hi,

Can you do the investigate action in a location with no clue tokens?
Just to trigger abilities on other cards like " after you succesfully investigate do that or get x "

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Parolini
United States
Mendota Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Leventa24 wrote:
Yeap.

Really? Ive been told here that i couldnt...

For example, roland weakness

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wezze wrote:
Hi,

Can you do the investigate action in a location with no clue tokens?
Just to trigger abilities on other cards like " after you succesfully investigate do that or get x "
[I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive, but, would the wording "successfully" have anything to do with it? Wouldn't the action need to produce an effect in order to be considered a success?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wallace-Moyer
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Roland's weakness doesn't trigger off of a successful investigation though, it triggers when you would discover a clue at your location. There are no clues, so the weakness cannot be triggered. There are other ways to discover clues other than investigation, which is why it is worded that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
You can always Investigate.

An investigation attempt can always be successful, if you pass the skill test.

A successful investigation attempt will make you discover a clue (only if there are clues on the location you're investigating), or do something *instead of discovering clues* (e.g. Burglary).

So you can always investigate, for purposes of Burglary and Scavenging.

But you can only discover clues, or do something else instead *when you would* discover clues (e.g. Cover Up), if there are clues on the location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mplain wrote:

A successful investigation attempt will make you discover a clue, but only if there are clues on the location you're investigating.

But you can only discover clues (or do something *instead* of discovering clues, e.g. Cover Up) if there are clues on the location.

I don't know whether this does or will ever exist, but I think you couldn't Investigate at a location without a Shroud rating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mplain wrote:

A successful investigation attempt will make you discover a clue, but only if there are clues on the location you're investigating.

But you can only discover clues (or do something *instead* of discovering clues, e.g. Cover Up) if there are clues on the location.

You might want to reword that last part.

Burglary actually says, "Exhaust Burglary: Investigate. If you succeed, instead of discovering clues, gain 3 resources." This makes your 3rd and 4th points directly contradict each other.

I think Roland's weakness (Cover Up) doesn't work because of the text, "When you would discover 1 or more clues at your location: Discard that many clues from Cover Up instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Butaman551 wrote:
You might want to reword that last part.

Burglary actually says, "Exhaust Burglary: Investigate. If you succeed, instead of discovering clues, gain 3 resources." This makes your 3rd and 4th points directly contradict each other.

I think Roland's weakness (Cover Up) doesn't work because of the text, "When you would discover 1 or more clues at your location: Discard that many clues from Cover Up instead.

Oh dammit, my bad, fixed. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.