Subject: Looking for a new game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey ppl.

I recently buy Roll for the Galaxy and played it with my GF. She Think that the rules Are a little geeky and she Was close to give up on learn playing it. So im now looking for a game with light learning curve and not to much Reading (cards ect.) i dont know if its possible but i Like games where the components Are a little Different (Like the hive bacalite tiles an the trains from colt Express)

Is there some game out there with Nice pieces, light learning an good for couples?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Vaccari
Italy
Nonantola (Mo)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion is 24/7: The Game. Nice game, few rules and nice components too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island. Hands down. Simple but interesting game play. Really cool treasure pieces. Or, it's slightly more challenging older brother, Forbidden Desert, where you're rebuilding an airship with 3D moving parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go Cuckoo!
Junk Art

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation - a little bit of reading but not much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinDJacobson wrote:
Forbidden Island. Hands down. Simple but interesting game play. Really cool treasure pieces. Or, it's slightly more challenging older brother, Forbidden Desert, where you're rebuilding an airship with 3D moving parts.

A boring coop for kids. I'm sure your partner is better than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see why RTFG was frowned upon, it's arbitrarily complex in unexpected ways from the outside. Also crap, but that's not the point

greendayfan333 wrote:

Oddly fiddly actually I'd suggest, what with the irrigation paths and things, which is exactly what he's trying to avoid, right?

So fun games where you can mostly just say you can do this, or do that... GO!

Only one play in but Via Nebula fits in well without, I don't thiiiink, really any gotchas at all.

Or Discworld: Ankh-Morpork if you can find it cheap is somewhat directly easy, and a brilliant brilliant gateway game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne !
Easy to pick up, plays well with 2 players, lots of replayability/expansions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I say get Dominant Species - if you can glaciate her home region, push her entire species to the brink of extinction and she still loves you, you know you've got a keeper.

PS - I know its a min 3 player minimum game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game? It's star wars, so geeky, but the rules are pretty easy and the ships are cool. You might want to use some prebuilt squad lists so she doesn't have to squad build, and no tourney level stuff.

Hiw about Tokaido? There is a collector's edition with figurines, but even the base game has a very cool art aesthetic, and gsme wize it is simple and relaxed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I really enjoy Patchwork as an accessible couples game.
Ticket to Ride: Europe is a nice gateway game. You might want to use the Ticket to Ride: Switzerland expansion when the normal map becomes too easy with two players.

Last but not least: Among the Stars is a nice light game in the scifi/space theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rita Chen
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Carcassonne might be a good one, if you want nice pieces. They're very tactile and have lovely artwork. Non-gamers I've introduced it to like the feel of pieces and the meeples in their hands -- more interesting than cards!

For a couples' game Carcassonne is interesting because it's "expandable." It literally has lots of expansions, first of all, if you ever want to add new rules and depth, but also, you can play it at different levels. The basic rules are simple, so you can just follow them and play nicely, but once you get to know the game you can get quite competitive and cruelly tactical.

+1 Patchwork. It's very tactile and spatial and is similar to Carcassonne in that it has simple rules but more depth. This one is 2 players only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I already have Takenoko an carcassonne two very Nice games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Arimaa and Siam have very nice pieces. Both good games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't really have the components that you're looking for, but 7 Wonders Duel may work. The rules and choices are very simple: you can only do 3 things every turn, but there's enough meat there to keep you happy as well. If you can get over the initial "this seems like a lot" thoughts that my girlfriend had, it's simple, elegant, and deep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BobKo wrote:
Arimaa and Siam have very nice pieces. Both good games.

Siam looks great but Are you think about the old version when you say Nice pieces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Dummiz wrote:
Hey ppl.

I recently buy Roll for the Galaxy and played it with my GF. She Think that the rules Are a little geeky and she Was close to give up on learn playing it. So im now looking for a game with light learning curve and not to much Reading (cards ect.) i dont know if its possible but i Like games where the components Are a little Different (Like the hive bacalite tiles an the trains from colt Express)

Is there some game out there with Nice pieces, light learning an good for couples?

Busen Memo

Seriously there are a vast majority of games that fall into your criteria :

Carcassonne
Dominion
Takenoko
Siam
Ticket to Ride
Pandemic
Agricola
Akrotiri
Quadropolis
Guillotine
Jaipur
Patchwork
Lost Cities
The Castles of Burgundy
Targi
Fluxx
Suburbia
Tigris & Euphrates
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King
Burgle Bros.
Lords of Waterdeep
FUSE
Concordia
Viticulture
Splendor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age was one of the early games my wife started with.

For a cooperative game take a look at Flash Point: Fire Rescue. It has pretty good components and you can deal with the most complicated part of the game which is advancing the fire.

We do like Takenoko as a light game.

Discworld: Ankh-Morpork is a fine game but it is card driven and, as a somewhat chaotic area control game with secret objectives it might not be great with two.

There are tons of cheap 2 player only games. One I've recently enjoyed has been Holmes: Sherlock & Mycroft

Good luck with your searching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
JustinDJacobson wrote:

A boring coop for kids. I'm sure your partner is better than that.
All games are for kids. devil

No, wait, they're not! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.