Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had another session of Allegiance recently playing Thedric Egen against the Mad King. That particular session have me reevaluate the usefulness of Flanking Maneuver and Arm the Catapult.

FLANKING MANEUVER
For Flanking Maneuver, it becomes useful once you have a number of units on the board which should be an easy feat for Egen to do by putting into play his special units via his abilities. However, as Egen seeks to activate New Recruits, it should be accompanied by triggering Advanced Training to make his Militia more resilient and deliver high damage attack and to safeguard them from being destroyed too easily.

Do correct me if I am wrong here but one thing I learn in our previous session is that many effects cannot be played during the resolution of an ability or card effect as they are not "interrupt" or "response" mechanics. Basically, players have to queued their effects of their Heroes' ability or card effect.

For example, after I trigger Flanking Maneuver, my opponent must first play cards or abilities that can prevent damage or to heal before I proceed to resolve the effect of Flanking Maneuver. Once I start to resolve Flanking Maneuver effect, my opponent cannot "surprise" me by triggering a Hero ability or reacting with playing an Action card. This gives me a great deal of opportunity to decide on which particular Unit I want to deliver the damage to and avoid those Units which are healed or protected by damage prevention that may cause me to waste one opportunity of damage delivery.

Flanking Maneuver can become potent as Egen's Units can still deliver damage after they are exhausted. This enabled me to overcome the Mad King's effects of Arrest and his Scepter that forced my Units to exhaust. Furthermore, as certain card effect can only deal against Battle Damage, the damage delivered via Flanking Maneuver is not Battle Damage.

ARM THE CATAPULT
I realized that Arm the Catapult must be played in conjunction with New Recruit. So once Egen has paid to unlock this ability with 15 Gold, he can first deal a direct damage of 2 as one Soldier comes into play. Then trigger New Recruits to put into play 2 Militia to deliver additional 4 direct damage resulting in a total of 6. This can be useful when dealing with some annoying units on the board and also to clear the board of some opposing units when those target units are already damaged.

As such, we should not think about triggering Arm the Catapult and trying to play Unit cards from the hand as this will often be cost and most of the time not so economically achievable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.