1 Posts

Labyrint» Forums » General

Subject: This could have been a gateway childrens game... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tommi Salo
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It really feels like this obviously branded childrens game has actually been designed. Unlike other brandings it is not just a reskin on some old mechanic.
The game has several phases where you earn VPs. You get to lay puzzles on a time limit, you can strategize when rolling-moving to avoid pitfalls and to penalize or slow down the other players and in the end there is a game of memory in which you can loose VPs, all the while following the theme of the childrens game show which gave the game its name (and branding).

...but there is a "but":
Sadly the designers did not go all the way with modern knowledge from game design, which could have made the game into a perfect gateway.
The dice could have been exchanged for cards or used in some lightweight worker placement-ish fashion to give a stronger illusion of choice and more power to the players decisions.
The puzzles could have been made with differing difficulty levels to allow for adults and older children to actually participate in the game without playing to loose or breaking the game for the younger children.
Seeing that the game show is about a group of children trying to beat a maze and steam punk robots, this could even have been a cooperative game.
Also, some more game testing could have helped iron out imbalances and flesh out parts of the game that feel rather unimportant.

I know I am being an arm chair designer here, so I'll conclude by saying that, no, I could not necessarily have done it better. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.