~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valley Games Inc Newsletter
An Update on a Busy Few Months
May 2007
In This Issue
What's Been Happening at Valley Games?
Hannibal: Rome Vs. Carthage Update
750 Special: New Games to Hit Preorder Soon!
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to read our newsletter. It is our goal to keep you as informed as possible about the exciting things happening at Valley Games, and we intend to use our newsletter as a useful way to stay in touch with you on a more regular basis.

We encourage you to watch for our newsletter in your inbox every few weeks, and please feel free to pass the newsletter along to any friends who might also be interested in hearing from us.

What's Been Happening at Valley Games?

Things have been very busy at Valley Games over the last few weeks!

We attended GAMA last month in Las Vegas and met some very nice people, including several of you! It was great to hear your comments, praise, and concerns, and we have taken each under consideration.

Over the last few weeks we have heard your cries for more updates, and a more user-friendly website. This is important to us too, and because of this, we've begun the process of updating our website. In addition, we've also decided to circulate a newsletter at regular intervals. At the moment, we're planning on sending out a newsletter monthly, but if we have a lot of information to pass along, you might just get a "Special Edition" later in the same month.

So, you might be thinking "That's great, but when does this all start?". For our website, we're expecting a new look by approximately late Spring or Summer. For our newsletter, well, this particular email that you are reading is our first regular update, and so you can expect another in June, July, and so on. Now, if for some reason your email program is throwing this email into your junk folder, do yourself a big favour and set it to arrive in your inbox safely. We won't be sending you spam or needless babble every month; we'll be sending you all the information you could want on all of our games, some of which will be exclusive to this newsletter (i.e. You'll hear it here first!).

We're looking forward to many more years of printing your favourite, or soon-to-be-favourite games, and we're delighted to have you along for the ride!

Hannibal: Rome Vs. Carthage Update
First, we would like to extend a big "Thank you!" to everyone who preordered Hannibal: Rome Vs. Carthage. We received tremendous preorder support, and you should feel very proud to have helped bring such a worthy game back into print. Let's get you updated on what is happening with the game at the present time.

Valley Games is pleased to report that the game is officially "at the printer". Everything appears to be going smoothly, and we believe that we will have the game on time. If you are not aware already, we believe that the game will be available on retail shelves by August of this year. Our 750 Special preorder customers in North America should expect to see their preordered copy earlier than that, probably towards the end of July. Customers outside North America should expect to have their copies arrive shortly afterwards.

We're very pleased how the production of Hannibal has gone so far, and we're very excited to show you the beautiful work that our artist has done. Expect more updates on this game as we get closer to the release date!

750 Special: New Games to Hit the Preorder Soon!

Chances are if you've preordered or even thought about preordering a game from Valley Games, you are familiar with our preorder system. It's called the "750 Special" and it is the best way that we can find to bring you the best possible games at the highest quality. By preordering a game, you are not only supporting a small publisher, you're also helping us pick our next games to offer for preorder. And of course, by preordering, you also get a chance to save 30% and take advantage of our preorder bonuses, contests, and specials, all of which are exclusive to our 750 Special preorder customers.

If you haven't yet heard, we are getting ready to reopen our 750 Special with a bang! In the last few weeks, we've been actively pursuing and signing some big titles to our lineup, and now we're almost ready to let you decide just which ones will be reprinted. How big are these games? Here's what we have in store for you!

Titan (yes, THAT Titan)
Big City (Franz-Benno Delonge)
Municipium (The new Reiner Knizia game!)
Containers (Franz-Benno Delonge and introducing Thomas Ewert)
Special Edition (Reprint of Extrablatt)
Supernova (Diceless Space Combat!)
Republic of Rome (A Classic!)
Liberte (Martin Wallace reprint)

That's a small collection by itself, and we're very excited to be bringing them all to our 750 Special very soon. We have elected to not hold back the opening of the 750 Special preorder program for the completion of the website update. Because of this, we still anticipate the preorder system reopening at the end of May. This may change by a week or two either way, but rest assured that we will keep you informed about the exact date as we approach it, as well as more information on each game, and the preorder bonuses that you will receive by using our 750 Special preorder program.

Very exciting times for the Valley Games team; we're happy to have you with us!

Quick Links...
Our Website
Products
Services
More About Us
Contact Information
phone: 403-819-6996

Share this info with a friend!

Valley Games Inc | 135 Woodglen Place | Okotoks | T1S 1L2 | Canada

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cole
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
750 Special: New Games to Hit the Preorder Soon!

Chances are if you've preordered or even thought about preordering a game from Valley Games, you are familiar with our preorder system. It's called the "750 Special" and it is the best way that we can find to bring you the best possible games at the highest quality. By preordering a game, you are not only supporting a small publisher, you're also helping us pick our next games to offer for preorder. And of course, by preordering, you also get a chance to save 30% and take advantage of our preorder bonuses, contests, and specials, all of which are exclusive to our 750 Special preorder customers.

If you haven't yet heard, we are getting ready to reopen our 750 Special with a bang! In the last few weeks, we've been actively pursuing and signing some big titles to our lineup, and now we're almost ready to let you decide just which ones will be reprinted. How big are these games? Here's what we have in store for you!

Titan (yes, THAT Titan)
Big City (Franz-Benno Delonge)
Municipium (The new Reiner Knizia game!)
Containers (Franz-Benno Delonge and introducing Thomas Ewert)
Special Edition (Reprint of Extrablatt)
Supernova (Diceless Space Combat!)
Republic of Rome (A Classic!)
Liberte (Martin Wallace reprint)

Valley Games needs to be far more explicit about their policies. From this description (especially the "you decide just which ones will be reprinted" part) it sounds like they are using a GMT P500-like model, where when a game is announced, it is not necessarily going to be published, but is more of a potential publication, if it gets enough support quickly enough.

Valley Games has dropped hints in recent interviews that not all of the games they have announced will actually be produced. Things to the effect of (I may not have the quote exactly correct) "we expect to be able to publish what we promised" have been notable qualifiers.

I have no problem with the busines model at all. I see red flags, however, if Valley Games is not straightforward about adopting this model. I get the impression that many, if not most, of the people following VG here think that the games listed above are definitely going to be reprinted sometime in the next year or so. Is that the case or not? Could one or more of these titles get scuttled? There seem to be conflicting statements from VG in different places.

I also have no idea what "By preordering a game, you are not only supporting a small publisher, you're also helping us pick our next games to offer for preorder" means. Are they saying that they will be picking up games that are similar to ones that get rapid preorders?

Valley Games should make unambiguous statements about what they plan to do and how they operate. If they put out murky things like this newsletter and some of the recent interviews, they raise as many questions as they answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:
chicken littlization

Oof, you make it sound as if VG might be running a Ponzi scheme or something similar.
Unless they plan on taking money for preorders on games not actually planned for production and either absconding with the funds or going bankrupt, that's a lot of dire speculation for situations that will actually harm no one.
Wow, red flags.

Lighten up big guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
Psauberer wrote:
chicken littlization

Oof, you make it sound as if VG might be running a Ponzi scheme or something similar.
Unless they plan on taking money for preorders on games not actually planned for production and either absconding with the funds or going bankrupt, that's a lot of dire speculation for situations that will actually harm no one.
Wow, red flags.

Lighten up big guy.

Well, it's not like I am saying that if Valley Games doesn't produce all of the games they have announced it's equivalent to a mass outbreak of the Ebola virus.

On the other hand, is it really out of line to get an answer to the basic question of whether they are going to publish the games or just might publish the games? That's all I'm looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think what they are saying is not IF these games get printed but WHEN. If Republic of Rome hits 750 first, then it will be published first. If Titan, then Titan will be first. Sounds like most of these will be up by the end of next month or the following month and then we can see which gets the go ahead first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:

On the other hand, is it really out of line to get an answer to the basic question of whether they are going to publish the games or just might publish the games? That's all I'm looking for.

I've always taken the 750 Special to be the same model as P500, i.e., if they don't get enough pre-orders for any of the games, they aren't going to print.

I assume they've secured the rights to publish these games with the standard caveat that they revert back to the designer if not published in (usually) two years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our 750 Special does function much like other preorder programs (GMT, as mentioned, is a good example).

All the games we announce will be printed, assuming they receive 750 preorders.

In the case where a game does not receive 750 preorders in a reasonable amount of time, it will come down to a judgement call by the Valley Games team. I would think that in most cases, we would probably lean towards printing the game if it only fell short by 100-200 orders. This, of course, is not a set rule-of-thumb; the best way to ensure a game gets to print is to have it meet the 750 preorder requirement.

In all cases, we do hold the rights to the games for a number of years, so we are not merely "fishing" for orders. We fully intend to print every game we announce, and just ask for preorder customer support to do so.

We believe that the 30% discount, preorder bonuses, and contests offer an industry-best motivation to preorder with Valley Games.

I hope that answers your question? If not, I'm happy to answer similar or other questions for you.

Thanks to the original poster for posting this, by the way. If you want to receive monthly updates on Valley Games products, you can sign up for the newsletter at www.valleygames.ca
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I also have no idea what "By preordering a game, you are not only supporting a small publisher, you're also helping us pick our next games to offer for preorder" means. Are they saying that they will be picking up games that are similar to ones that get rapid preorders?

In answer to the above question:

When a customer preorders a game, they are not only indicating their support for the game they are purchasing, but also indicating to Valley Games the type of games that they like.

Our strong preorder support for Die Macher, for example, told us that we should go out of our way to get other games reprinted, especially the hard-to-find titles. So in a small way, Hannibal, Titan, and the others have the preorder success of Die Macher to thank for their own return to "in print" status.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
otrex wrote:
I hope that answers your question? If not, I'm happy to answer similar or other questions for you.

Thanks, Kevin. That answers the questions very clearly.

Containers is the game I am most interested in, so I'm likely to preorder that one, if it will help get it printed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
otrex wrote:
Quote:

In answer to the above question:

When a customer preorders a game, they are not only indicating their support for the game they are purchasing, but also indicating to Valley Games the type of games that they like.

Our strong preorder support for Die Macher, for example, told us that we should go out of our way to get other games reprinted, especially the hard-to-find titles. So in a small way, Hannibal, Titan, and the others have the preorder success of Die Macher to thank for their own return to "in print" status.

That makes sense. I was just thinking that if it was a matter of seeing an auction game, for example, climb quickly up the preorder list, putting other auction games in the pipeline wouldn't be as good an idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be tough to get 750 for Republic of Rome I will preorder that one, though.

I'm sure you'll get 750 or way more for many of your others. Oh, Can You Show Samples of Titan Counter, Board and Battleboard Art before you open the 750 on that one? My preorder will totally depend on how the new art is on the board, counters and battleboards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Duglis wrote:
Might be tough to get 750 for Republic of Rome I will preorder that one, though.

Well, at least there will be 2 pre-orders! Might get eclipsed by Titan, but I think we shall see RoR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Champion Eternal
Malaysia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duglis wrote:
Oh, Can You Show Samples of Titan Counter, Board and Battleboard Art before you open the 750 on that one? My preorder will totally depend on how the new art is on the board, counters and battleboards.

Yeh - me too. The artwork is very important if I was to order this. I have the AH Titan, and am very happy with the artwork, so the new Titan would have to beat that.

Also, if you are planning to include miniatures in the Titan reprint, that would be a big plus. The miniatures can be used during the battleboard battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Sergerie
Canada
La Prairie
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of ordering 2 copies of that game. I have the original AH game, but some of the cards are not in good shape and I wanted to get a new version badly. One box will remain in shrink, the order will be to play.

I'm not so sure about Titan: a lot of people seem to think highly of it, but frankly, the pics I've seen of the board have so far turned me off.

Supernova looks interesting also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Surya Van Lierde is pure Eurosnoot and proud of it!
Belgium
Michelbeke
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Champion Eternal wrote:
Duglis wrote:
Oh, Can You Show Samples of Titan Counter, Board and Battleboard Art before you open the 750 on that one? My preorder will totally depend on how the new art is on the board, counters and battleboards.

Yeh - me too. The artwork is very important if I was to order this. I have the AH Titan, and am very happy with the artwork, so the new Titan would have to beat that.

Do you mean artwork like this?

Bleh, I don't like it at all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might order Republic of Rome. Not Titan though. Anyway, first I want to see Hannibal come out: can they repeat the good job they did on Die Macher with a wargame? I think probably yes, but I'll wait and see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poochie D
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Psauberer wrote:
otrex wrote:

Containers is the game I am most interested in, so I'm likely to preorder that one, if it will help get it printed.

I, too, am eagerly awaiting Containers. I've been looking for a game that captures the excitement of putting things inside of other things. If you can put a thing inside a container, and then put that container inside an even bigger container, then Containers will be an instant preorder. I can't wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duglis wrote:

I am not certain if sample board art or battleboard artwork will be done in time for the start of preorders. We're going to post sample artwork for the creatures if we have it submitted in time. We don't want to hold up the preorder process for the lack of artwork, but as soon as we have it, we'll be showing it all over the place, to be sure.

Quote:
Also, if you are planning to include miniatures in the Titan reprint, that would be a big plus. The miniatures can be used during the battleboard battles.

Miniatures are not planned for Titan, with the exception of the preorder bonus which are miniatures of each player's Titan (for the battleboard).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
How about Liberté? I presume the minor errors (forgotten '2' in the pink Paris region, colour mismatches between cards and regions, and lack of text on the special cards) will be corrected, but are there significant changes in the artwork planned?

In other words, can we expect something like this or will it remain at the minimalistic original?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hooray! No more Papyrus on Hannibal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all like a dream. If I pinch myself will I wake up? I don't dare try it...

Kudos to Valley Games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
otrex wrote:

We're going to post sample artwork for the creatures if we have it submitted in time. We don't want to hold up the preorder process for the lack of artwork, but as soon as we have it, we'll be showing it all over the place, to be sure.

Ok, I'll be waiting for that to decide if I'll order! Good luck to you on these great enterprises!

-Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hacksword wrote:
Psauberer wrote:
otrex wrote:

I, too, am eagerly awaiting Containers. I've been looking for a game that captures the excitement of putting things inside of other things. If you can put a thing inside a container, and then put that container inside an even bigger container, then Containers will be an instant preorder. I can't wait.

I can't answer for you, but I have certainly often felt excitement at putting something in something else. When being cautious, I have even put something in something and then put it in something else. That has also often been quite exciting.

I do have my doubts as if Containers will equal that excitement. Still, I will probably preorder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Surya Van Lierde is pure Eurosnoot and proud of it!
Belgium
Michelbeke
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
otrex wrote:
Quote:

Miniatures are not planned for Titan, with the exception of the preorder bonus which are miniatures of each player's Titan (for the battleboard).

I've wondered about that since I first heard of it. Does this small number of pre-orders warrant the high cost to produce these? Or do you plan to make them available later on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.