Dorian Hawkins
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi y'all,

Before I reinvent the wheel, has anyone come up with a system construction method?

What I mean is, stacking the system tile decks at the beginning of the game, has anyone come up with an interesting method of weighting them to make them a little more predictable?

Or do people just go with just randomly constructing them from everything them have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Backstabbing AND Cube Pushing
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Bradshaw
United States
North Scituate
Ri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some do draw two keep one. I like to lay out all the tiles before the game to form the map. At this point the tiles are face down. Remember if you explore you can choose to not keep that tile and waste the action. I find that most players don't consider that option seriously enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DTHz wrote:
Hi y'all,

Before I reinvent the wheel, has anyone come up with a system construction method?

What I mean is, stacking the system tile decks at the beginning of the game, has anyone come up with an interesting method of weighting them to make them a little more predictable?

Or do people just go with just randomly constructing them from everything them have?

We usually do it by "Option".

So the pool of Hexes is usually
- All Base Game Tiles
- All generic Expansion Tiles
- All Warp Sector Tiles

And then it's just random from that pool.

We usually exclude:
- Ancient Home Systems
- Ancient Hives
- Deep Warp Portals
- All Mini Expansions (since I don't have them)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally it's just quicker to put it all together and go. But on occasion we do the following.

For each tier:
1) Have players select hexes they don't want to see at all and remove them (base game hexes not valid for this)

2) set aside hexes players want to come up

3) randomize the hexes

4) count out x-n hexes. X is the number of hexes possible to place in the game. N is the number of hexes set aside in step 2.

5) Add step 2 hexes to the step 4 pile just counted out. These are the ONLY hexes available during the game. If someone discards a hex it goes to the discard pile which eventually gets made into this pile when this pile runs out.

This process enforces that hexes in step 2 WILL be in the game unless all players choose to discard them in which case the game has one less hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Kraft
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dylanbradshaw wrote:
Some do draw two keep one. I like to lay out all the tiles before the game to form the map. At this point the tiles are face down. Remember if you explore you can choose to not keep that tile and waste the action. I find that most players don't consider that option seriously enough.

This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dylanbradshaw wrote:

How do you handle Tier 3 Tiles? They remain in a stack off to the side still or do you already lay them out to form a specific "universe"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Hawkins
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My analysis of the tiles I have;

TIER I: 4 systems, 5 ancient systems, 2 special systems*

*specials include discovery tile systems, deep warp portals etc

TIER II: 6 system tiles, 5 ancient systems, 6 special systems

TIER III: 11 system tiles, 6 ancient systems, 11 special systems

I am thinking of weighting stacks;

Tier I: 3 system tiles / 3 ancients / 0 special

Tier II: 2 system tiles / 2 ancients / 2 special

Tierr III: players (2) 1 / 1 / 3
(3) 3 / 2 / 5
(4) 5 / 2 / 7
(5) 6 / 2 / 8
(6) 6 / 3 / 9

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.