Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: What makes a ship/fleet competitive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Pretty much a Ronseal post here, but what exactly makes a ship/fleet competitive?

On more than one occasion I've posted fleet lists on Facebook, on Reddit, and/or on BoardGameGeek, and get told that my builds just won't work well. And that's perfectly fine: I accept that I'm not the most competitive player around and that I enjoy building fleets according to the lore of the game. Having said that, I AM a curious person and would be interested in learning just what is considered a competitive build.

So what actually goes into making a ship or fleet competitive in Attack Wing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Pick a basic winnable strategy:

Alpha Strike (High CS, heavily modified attacks with big dice pools.)
Super defensive(Hood Riker, Paris, Picard8, Weapon Zero/Kiaphet)
Super maneuverable (Chang7, Forrest, Alpha Hunter, Engage)
Mess with people (Ceti Eel, Lure, Faked Messages, Varel, Conditional Surrender, SomKor)

Alpha strike needs to hit first. If it can't hit first, then it needs to be tanky enough to live long enough to shoot.
Bioship Beta/Picard9/Biological Tech
CS9, TL, BS, base 8 PAV first shot, 11HP

2nd Div/Dukat7/Boheeka
CS7, TL/BS and blank to hit, 5 PAV, 11HP

Start with those for an alpha strike fleet that is easy to fly. Alpha strike is the easiest fleet to fly and evaluate as a build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a very complex question, one of the key factors to it is what the local meta is for your group. Here are my own ramblings on it.

Generally having a good plan with a list that plays into it is a must if you want to be competitive. There are a few things that I have seen from my local group that show up in competitive builds.

Survivability combined with good (4+) attack.
Huge attack with high captain skill/high shields and hull.
High mobility with 360 attacks.
A man named Bryan.

That last one is probably specific to my own local group.

On top of the above you can then have some flavour normally in the form of area control (cloaked mines) which fits well with most builds or tricks which can mess with your opponents plans (crew disable, movement changes).

There are things within the game do not function well, torp's being the main one, or are highly over costed for what they do. That's not to say you could not make these competitive but you are inherently starting at a disadvantage. So a thematic build with ships using torps are automatically going to have a harder time against anything that cloaks.

A lot of the answers to this are going to be quite subjective based on what everyone has experienced in their gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
On second thought, put Boheeka on a Dominion ship with just one action. TL/BS doesn't need Boheeka.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played in two Regionals and haven't missed an OP since June of 2014, and in all of those, I think the biggest thing I see new players failing to do is to add defense to their ships.

Sounds simple, but 2-3 defense per ship is key IMO be it Hood Riker, Sulu, Amatigan, etc. And if I cloak, I always have at least one Battlestation for defense rolls too. (Dukat/Picard9 on Reman Warbirds, Gowron on Klingon ships, General orders resource, etc)

Even generic Bioships are okay as is, since they roll 2 defense dice. Add in Biological Technology and you're golden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peters
msg tools
My personal Philosophy is having a decent number of attack dice while at the same time being able to convert as many dice as possible. I find it very effective to roll 5-7 dice with TL & BS. Everything else is secondary. Some of my favored ship combos would have to be.

Vor'Cha Class (Generic) A5 D1 H5 S2
-Worf CS5
-Drex/N'Garen
33 SP
Worf Rerolls Blanks And the crew works like Battlestations only one of those is a crit.

IKS Ch'Tang (B'Rel)A4 D1 H3 S3
-Gowron CS5
30SP
Very useful as his action will be gaining the free BS plus one free action that is either Cloak or if already cloaked then a echo. Because this ship can reroll any number of dice if cloaked so it is a free TL. You can also throw Gowron on a Vorcha or Neg'var if you have the points. As soon as i can though the Duras Sisters will be releasing Gowron for this ship.

I.K.S. Somraw [18]A3 D1 H3 S2
- Kor 6 (Captain) [4]
- Toral [4]
Ship Total: 26 SP
THIS I find funny as hell as if you keep him in the back of a formation and just keep spamming his Captain Action to force other ships to ignore more valuable targets. And I can convert two BS into Evades. with the option to re-roll some blanks.

In a nutshell throw as many dice at an enemy as possible and make sure as many of them are hits/crits as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.