Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Dorsett
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Slaughterball just hit down under and tonight we finally took some of the wave 2 gear for a test run. It was: Gruesomes Vs. Katanas - with the Gruesomes playing on their home turf (though we didn't opt for the special arena rules this time).

Highlight 1

I was coaching the Gruesomes this game, and on turn two my hand of cards looked like this... 4 interrupt cards...

With the Gruesomes scare ref ability - it didn't look like i was going to get a penalty any time soon. The Katana razor started to looked extra juicy.

Highlight 2

Despite being able to avoid a lot of penalties while trying to take out the Katana razor, the robot managed to survive. The Gruesomes did quite poorly early on, even having a butcher fall prone during a chop against... that damned razor! Finally, the Gruesomes had a breakthrough with a massive spike, resulting in a Katana butcher taking 11 injury tokens (these looked really nice with the plastic miniature tokens).

Highlight 3

Mid game, the board looked like this.

The Katanas had used their interrupting move and chop abilities to help surround their toughter opponents - but injuries were scarce. The Gruesomes are certainly thick skinned. You'll also notice the Gruesome butcher finally getting that razor with the help of the slaughterball - of course shrugging off yet another TWO penalties - this time a shot clock card AND a penalty card.

Game End

It was too late in the game though, that razor had already racked up a load of points - too many for the Gruesomes to catch. While they did have a great last round, and the score looked close, ultimately the Katanas had time to make a very safe (1 point) goal at the end for the victory. Congrats.

Learnings

After my first game playing with the Gruesomes I realised that you do need to do some planning in order to make the most of your daunt abilities. Also, covet thy interrupt cards! While I was a little unlucky with not scoring more injuries this time - the interrupts freely allowed me to commit all sorts of debauchery without any consequence... Crunchy!

Thanks for the dry erase board Erik!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
"Thick as a Snicker" ~ ♫ "Your uncle says to, says to tell you, You are a monkey girl."♫
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm jealous to only recently learning of Slaughterball.
What a cool match-up. My money was on the Gruesomes.
Peter you had one job. shake

Thanks for the session report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ogmund prime
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok that meat cleaver sticking out from the Katanas butcher is brilliant! Your right about positioning with the Gruesomes. You can not only block up lanes but create a carving bubble to trip up the opposition while supporting the athletes tests from a distance without the threat of a reprisal chop.

Oh, and Scare Ref is just thematically perfect for the Gruesomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dorsett
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex_Enduction_Hour wrote:
Peter you had one job. shake

I know - the razor just wouldnt go down!!! In the end I had to chase him with a burst of speed. The Butcher also fumbled the ball twice along the way haha.

@Ogmund - I love your "carving bubble" idea. I've also thought to try and "hog the ball" in a bubble situation and shrug off the shot clock cards with interrupts... If you get lucky with a Brute card as well, you could use it defensively and hope to trigger a lost momentum opportunity. I'm interested to see if that works as well as it does in my head :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.