Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my dad, 67, is retiring in about a year and since he is a research scientist turning off his brain isn't something that he can do easily. He takes care of my mother who has hearing, sight and health issues and wants to keep her mind as sharp as he can so he is looking into co-ops that they can play together and asked me to get them one for the holidays. So what are some easier Co-op games that they can play together?

I know that forbidden island is going to be the first game that I get them.

They have played pandemic, forbidden dessert, Panic!, and then various other gateway games such as King of Tokyo.

A plus would be if my brother who is high functioning autistic, drives + holds a job + Etc, could play with them as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Would Hanabi interest them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanabi is solid and light/easy to teach.

Sentinels of the Multiverse might be a theme mismatch, but in terms of variability and replayability is huge (and lots of fun!)

Space Cadets has a bunch of thinky minigames involved. You would potentially need to up the time allowed for ewch task but it is still brain stimulation.

Ghost Stories I have not played but hear good things about. It is supposed to be *very* hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Hanabi is solid and light/easy to teach.

Sentinels of the Multiverse might be a theme mismatch, but in terms of variability and replayability is huge (and lots of fun!)

Space Cadets has a bunch of thinky minigames involved. You would potentially need to up the time allowed for ewch task but it is still brain stimulation.

Ghost Stories I have not played but hear good things about. It is supposed to be *very* hard.

I think Hanabi would be great! I'm not sure about Sentinels because of the theme and there are a little bit too many moving things.

I was thinking about one of the Panic games because they did like that. Honestly I feel like I'm just looking for ways to spend money on board games! haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysterium.

Hand over a card and let them interpret it together.

The ghost must know a few more rules, but other players need not to know rules at all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point: Fire Rescue is quite fun with lots of things going on. There are lots of ways to scale the difficulty on the "expert" game.

For something thinkier but tremendously satisfying, look at Freedom: The Underground Railroad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think The Game would be a good choice if they don't mind the somewhat grim skull theme. It has extremely simple rules and is not fiddly at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
eker wrote:
Mysterium.

Hand over a card and let them interpret it together.

The ghost must know a few more rules, but other players need not to know rules at all

True, but it certainly helps to have one of the players help push the various bits around the boards, and explain things, as technically the ghost isn't supposed to be talking..

Still a great game, though..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
If sight issues are present then Hanabi might be tough. In our games people are often asked to reposition their cards to avoid light glare and distinguishing between some of the colors can be tricky. Maybe the tile version of the game makes it easier to see?

We play Suspend as a co-op, just trying to get all the pieces on and then remove them one-by-one.

Don't laugh, but maybe some co-op kids games would be appropriate?

I played Hoot Owl Hoot! not too long ago and thought it was pretty interesting. Not deep deep but there are layers to it. Peaceable Kingdom has some others that could fit.

I don't like memory games, but The Secret Door adds enough (co-op and mystery element) to make it fun for me. Note that the production value is very low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:

I second this one!

Ghost stories is a lot of fun, can be really difficult, but is really rewarding in strategy. If he would like games that are a little more challenging, I'd look into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
You might also want to try Galaxy Defenders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor isn't a coop of course, but the theme is so docile that I find it hard to imagine getting worked up over. I mean, if you want to start some sh-- you can, but I find it really relaxing to play with non-confrontational types.

Does anyone have some experience with the Oniverse games? Those always looked cool to me but I haven't picked any up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkroberts wrote:
If sight issues are present then Hanabi might be tough. In our games people are often asked to reposition their cards to avoid light glare and distinguishing between some of the colors can be tricky. Maybe the tile version of the game makes it easier to see?

The colors in Hanabi have different symbols to work against such a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.