5 Posts

Conan» Forums » Rules

Subject: First Game Questions and Assumptions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies because some of these questions might be answered in the book already but things didn't seem to always flow in the ideal way, so I had a difficult time finding the answers there.

I just played with a single friend last night and we did the only 2-player scenario, where Conan is in the Inn and he's cursed and must find the correct priest.

1) My first question was WHICH parts of the scenario am I actually supposed to read to the players and which parts am I supposed to keep secret? There were certain parts that seemed obviously secret (Turn 12 the big dude shows up)and some parts that were more ambiguous (I'm using the numbers on the bottom of the priest tokens to determine which one is the special one).

2) How do the grenades work? In the chests there were these little grenades that do AE Damage (BTW the symbols on these things need to ALL be located in a single appendix - It took me forever to find a page that just happened to say that the explosion meant it was an AE attack. They were awesome but it had the MANIPULATE symbol on it, and I expected it would have the ranged attack because normally people THROW grenades - so if it's not ranged that would mean you detonate it in your own zone - but that would do lots of damage to YOU as well - so that didn't make much sense. ASSUMPTION - We decided that you could use it on any adjacent zone that you had Line of Sight to... but the rules didn't say anything about it. No idea which zone you can target when doing this.

3) When exactly do I slide my activated tiles down to the end of the river and push the entire stack down? If I activate my (1) group, does my (2) group instantly slide down to also be a (1) group? so by spending only 2 gems I can activate 2 groups? Or does the (2) group stay at (2) until I'm all done activating?

4) Are reinforcements limited? The Scenario I played had me placed some little flames on the board. It seemed like every time I played a reinforcement I was required to pick up a flame... and when there were no more flames I could no longer reinforce? The rules were confusing here, because it almost seemed like that was only the rule if a zone had only ONE reinforcement flame in it.... so does that mean a zone with 2 flames in it is a permanent reinforcement zone?

5) Is turn 15 always the last turn? The scenario I played didn't say anything special happened there, but we assumed that if Conan didn't escape by then that the game would be over - however the scenario had it's OWN set of rules as to how you could win or lose, so that is precisely why I'm confused.

6) Does the card "Sword" give you an extra orange die AND a reroll? Conan rolls a red die, but it has him start with the sword - At first I thought the sword simply allowed him to reroll one of his orange dice - but since he has no orange dice for attack that didn't make sense. We concluded that any given attack for him was his Red, an Orange, PLUS a free orange reroll. And since that's the case, it made very little sense for Conan to ever spend more than 1 gem on any given attack - since it was most efficient to simply make a whole separate attack if the first one failed. (at least against cheaper minions).

Thanks for your time guys! We had a good time playing it regardless!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crabbok wrote:
1) My first question was WHICH parts of the scenario am I actually supposed to read to the players and which parts am I supposed to keep secret?

ALL players have FULL ACCESS to the scenario info. The OL will, in some scenarios, be told to make certain "hidden" decisions, but the text of the scenarios is never hidden from any players.

Crabbok wrote:

2) How do the grenades work?

See threads 1653572 and 1662268.

Crabbok wrote:
3) When exactly do I slide my activated tiles down to the end of the river and push the entire stack down?

Immediately after paying the cost. OL Book, page 7.

Crabbok wrote:
4) Are reinforcements limited? The Scenario I played had me placed some little flames on the board.

Scenario-specific.

Crabbok wrote:
It seemed like every time I played a reinforcement I was required to pick up a flame...

Only if the scenario tells you to remove the flame (and i don't remember seeing any which say this). (Edit: Wrath of Anu has one such token.)

Crabbok wrote:
5) Is turn 15 always the last turn?

Scenario-dependent. Most scenarios don't last anywhere near 15 turns, but 15 is a generic upper limit (i.e. "it's the most which fit on the card"), and this track is used to keep track of hit points as well as time.

Crabbok wrote:
6) Does the card "Sword" give you an extra orange die AND a reroll? Conan rolls a red die, but it has him start with the sword - At first I thought the sword simply allowed him to reroll one of his orange dice - but since he has no orange dice for attack that didn't make sense.

Rerolls can be applied to any dice of the same color, but only for actions which involve dice which apply rerolls. e.g. Conan's sword reroll does not apply when he is Manipulating, only when he is attacking or defending with the sword.

If you have 3 orange dice, and only 1 of them has a reroll symbol, you roll all those dice together and may reroll any single one of them - you do NOT separate them into "rerollable" and "non-rerollable" groups.

Monolith mentions in another thread, however, that each die can only be rerolled "for free" (i.e. via the dice-reroll symbol) a single time. After that, gems or the Support skill can be used to re-re-roll them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Crabbok wrote:
It seemed like every time I played a reinforcement I was required to pick up a flame...

Only if the scenario tells you to remove the flame (and i don't remember seeing any which say this).

The Wrath of Anu scenario has a single-use reinforcement token in one of the rooms, that is removed after use. Other than that, flames only mark zones where reinforcements can arrive, and aren't removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to the both of you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ângelo Cossa
Brazil
flag msg tools
Well, things were alread answered, just come coments

Crabbok wrote:

1) My first question was WHICH parts of the scenario am I actually supposed to read to the players and which parts am I supposed to keep secret? There were certain parts that seemed obviously secret (Turn 12 the big dude shows up)and some parts that were more ambiguous (I'm using the numbers on the bottom of the priest tokens to determine which one is the special one).

Conan is an Strategy game, not an RPG, so every victory condition and info should be given to the player, and as the OL is usually the one who owns the game and know it better, you should enfatize what are the important things on the scenario that the players sould pay attention.

So yes, you should say that for every priest he removes your event title becomes stronger, that you get a one use reinforcement room (that you will probably use at the better time to f*$5 the player), that by turn 12 (or by removing enoth priests) he will get a very strong enemy, so by them is good that he alread had find the priest or he will be in bad condition, and so on..

the idea is that the players should have enoth info to plan an strategy to give the OL a competitive play, diferent from RPGs your objetive as the OL is to win the game and give players hell, this should be clear (well, actually not so diferent, we gave players hell on RPGs too, no? lol)

Crabbok wrote:

4) Are reinforcements limited? The Scenario I played had me placed some little flames on the board. It seemed like every time I played a reinforcement I was required to pick up a flame... and when there were no more flames I could no longer reinforce? The rules were confusing here, because it almost seemed like that was only the rule if a zone had only ONE reinforcement flame in it.... so does that mean a zone with 2 flames in it is a permanent reinforcement zone?

As said this is by scenario, and this is the only i can remember that have something like it, in this case i think the use only reinforcement is to represent units that were sleeping or doing any other things in the room and exits at some time to join the battle... so after they exists the room is clear, no more unit comes from "thin air" out of there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.