Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » General

Subject: Ideas: Growing Deck From Game to Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I know it's not meant to be played this way, but does anyone think it might be possible to come up with a way that you don't reset your deck to 10 cards between games, and instead let it grow from game to game.

My thinking is play Game 1, then you keep all the cards you bought in Game 2 to start play in Game 2, and keep doing this until you beat Game 7.

Any good way this could be accomplished without totally unbalancing the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best suggestion I've seen for this variant is to keep one card, limited to a value equal to the round number (or perhaps round number +1). For example, at the end of Game 3, you can keep a card with a value of 3 (or perhaps 4).

Honestly, if you carry over multiple cards, it will have a profound effect on your deck's power. Even just the one card is borderline game breaking. My group wins most of the time as it is. I bet if we kept cards in our deck, we would almost never lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
An initial thought is you always start with ...

- Your deck of 10 starting cards

+ 1 copy of any other spell card bought during a game

All other duplicate spells, ALL items and ALL allies are lost and returned to the main deck follow rules for whatever game you are currently in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
cordeiro wrote:
The best suggestion I've seen for this variant is to keep one card, limited to a value equal to the round number (or perhaps round number +1). For example, at the end of Game 3, you can keep a card with a value of 3 (or perhaps 4).

Honestly, if you carry over multiple cards, it will have a profound effect on your deck's power. Even just the one card is borderline game breaking. My group wins most of the time as it is. I bet if we kept cards in our deck, we would almost never lose.

I wonder if there would be a way to up the difficulty a bit if you're going to play like this. Like maybe drawing a certain number of dark arts cards at the start of the game and apply all non-turn specific effects (ie. like health loss and location control markers), based on what game you are on?

For each game you lose, you have to remove a number of cards (non-starting) from your deck equal to the game #. You can never lose one of your starting 10 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
cordeiro wrote:

I wonder if there would be a way to up the difficulty a bit if you're going to play like this. Like maybe drawing a certain number of dark arts cards at the start of the game and apply all non-turn specific effects (ie. like health loss and location control markers), based on what game you are on?

For each game you lose, you have to remove a number of cards (non-starting) from your deck equal to the game #. You can never lose one of your starting 10 cards.

You could always use the variant of starting with tokens on the location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Stephens
Australia
Ringwood
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an idea, but I haven't tried it yet, but I thought what if you could bring over 1 Item, 1 Spell and 1 Ally to the next game, but the total value of all the cards cannot exceed 10 (10 may make this too easy, but if it does, maybe 8 or 9?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.