Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys -
I've played this for the first time last week and have been talking about it to people and have had 2 separate people ask me if the cases in the game are the same cases as from the books. I have never read any of the books so said so and guessed that it probably would be a bad idea if they were the same... so anyone know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having read through most of the original Holmes canon and played through many of the cases, I know of no intersection between the books and the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wwalker98 wrote:
Having read through most of the original Holmes canon and played through many of the cases, I know of no intersection between the books and the game.

Thank you!
I was thinking/hoping that would be the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope! Some of the same main characters pop up, of course, but the stories are all original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
There are twelve of us, Sire, and I place all the resources of my people unreservedly at your Majesty's disposal.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevertheless, knowledge of the Holmesian canon (of which I have exceedingly little) can be of benefit in some of the cases. Not that it will give you solutions, but it will cause you to stop and think, "Ah! I remember something like this in The Case of the Dog Pound of the Baskervilles", or "I wouldn't rule out that possibility: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was a firm believer in that kind of thing."

I'm thinking especially of the now notorious Case Three.

With the same caveats, I would also say that some knowledge of Victorian England and 19th century history can also be of benefit in some cases (still looking at you, Case Three).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine Caviris
United States
Bayside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This isn't fully related to what you asked, but it's close enough to on topic that I figured I'd share it. The original Sleuth editions featured some questions that were unrelated to the case but delt with the original Sherlock Holmes stories. Luckily, those questions were replaced in the current editions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the cases have similarities, so the more you know about the canonical Sherlock, the better you should be able to play the game in general. There is a set of standard locations that are always in play for every game, knowing what to expect from them is a part of the game and the canon is one way to know how they work. As the game is one of deduction, if you enjoy other types of puzzles where you figure out the solution, this can help in some cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.