Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the In Character thread for the Microscope game, The Lost Continent.

The first two posts will be admin stuff:

- This intro, list of Players, Links to all relevant threads etc.
- A timeline of play to date.

The rest of the thread is actually playing the game.

Players:

Lowell Kempf
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Links:

Call for players
In Character thread
Out Of Character thread

-----

Big Picture:
The Lost Continent

Palette: Yes

- Dinosaurs and other non-imaginary megafauna.
- Bronze Age technology.

Palette: No

- SciFi / Fantasy tropes.
- Connection to other historic events, such as disappearances, lost/ghost ships, or natural disasters.

Lens order:

Lowell -> Dan -> Avri

Focus:

Orkhaugr, the first settlement (Lowell)
Seed, the last person to leave Orkhaugr (Dan)
The Lake (Avri)
The Plague (Lowell)
Seed's lost twin brother (Dan)

Legacy:

The Priests of Flame (Avri)
The Final Resting Place of Seed (Lowell)
The Floating Villages (Dan)
Zaulahr (Avri)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timeline Summary
Timeline Summary after third Lens:

coffee Period: The Lost Continent Rises from the Ocean
A previously submerged landmass breaks through the surface of the waters and is exposed to sun and air for the first time.
E sugar Event: The Lake is Formed
As tectonic shifts continue to shake the newly risen island, a large and shallow bowl is formed near its center. This huge Lake is perhaps the most prominent feature of nascent landmass.

-----

sugar Period: Arrival of the Winged Things
Fauna exists for the first time on the continent as migrating insects and other flying creatures find a new stop on their journeys.
E coffee Event: Winged Mastery
As the first animal life on the continent, birds - especially the large and aggressive Zaulahr - become the dominant species, not allowing mammals to gain any foothold until the eventually arrival of Humanity.

-----

sugar Period: Arrival of the Tool Users
Using precursors of the catamaran boats, Neanderthals reach the Lost Continent at the site that becomes known as Orkhaugr.
E sugar Event: Fishermen become Hunters
Unable to catch fish so close to land the way that had in the open ocean, the desperate newcomers find ways to catch and eat the large and dangerous native Zaulahr birds to avoid starvation.
E sugar Event: The Secret of Fire
In the dead of winter, an Orkhaugri discovers that the sparks he makes by banging rocks together can be directed to create flame and heat.
E coffee Event: The Coup of the Fire Priest
Orkhaugr is burned down for the first time when the high priest of the fire cult leads a successful uprising against the tribal council, instituting a more brutal leadership.
E sugar Event: The Birth of Twins
Late one evening, in the middle of the rainy season, the boy who will grow up to be Seed is born to a low-status couple in one of the few original huts to survive the first burning of Orkhaugr. Fifteen minutes later, a second boy is born to the same mother - the first twins ever born here.
SE E coffee Scene: What happened to Seed's twin brother?
He was taken by the Fire Priests
E coffee Event: The Second Burning of Orkhaugr
Some 15 years after the Fire Priests abducted Seed's brother, a blaze apparently started by an out-of-control cooking fire consumes half of the village.
SE E coffee Was the fire really an accident?
No, it was started by Seed's lost twin.

-----

coffee Period: The Abandonment of Orkhaugr
With the natural resourses stripped, and a superstitious fear of events that have befalled them here, the people of Orkhaugr shun the site and spread throughout the island.
E coffee Event: The Fouling of the Lake
The waters of the Lake, which the Orkhaugri rely on ford drinking, turn scummy and unpotable causing sickness and consternation throughout the settlement.
SE E coffee Scene: What caused the Lake to run dark?
Garbage carrier Torrn began dumping in the Lake.
E sugar Seed searches for his brother.
With Orkhaugr becoming less habitable, Seed takes the opportunity to leave, nominally to explore for a new home for the Orkhaugri. In truth, he has learned that he has a twin who may still be alive, and who he wishes to seek out.
E coffee Event: The Priests of the Flame are slaughtered
When prayers bring no end to the great famine, the people descend into barbarism and wipe out the Priests of the Flame.
SE E sugar Scene: What happened to the religion of the people when Orkhaugr was abandoned?
The people turned to the Moon.

-----

sugar Period: The Bell-Vessel Culture Spreads
The Bell-Vessel Culture, named for their distinctive pottery drinking vessels, spreads across the Lost Continent, creating a trading network.
E sugar Event: The First Bell-Vessel Drinking Cup is Created
In the workshop established by Seed in the new post-Orkhaugr settlement, the first of the distinctive drinking vessels of the Tool-Users' culture is created.
SE E sugar Scene: Did Seed Invent the Bell-Vessel?
No, it was his daughter Hedero.
E coffee Event: The Disappearance of Seed
On an expedition to find a faster trading route over the mountain of Vehr to the settlement of Windehk on the far coast, Seed and his entire party vanishes without a trace.
E coffee Event: The Final Resting Place of Seed
After being trapped by an avalanche, Seed and the other survivors of his party live out their days in the secluded valley where the dinosaurs still survive.
SE E sugar Scene: Did Seed ever find his lost brother?
Yes.
E sugar Event: The Legend Begins
In the years after his disappearance, people grow to believe that Seed is still out there alive exploring the lost continent.
E sugar Event: The Floating Villages are founded
Hedaro's grandson Spear establishes a permanent floating fishing village in The Lake through a series of rafts
E coffee Event: Rise of the Water Priests
The dependence of the inhabitants of the floating villages on the lake for their survival leads to the rise of a new water-based religion, at odds with the Moon faith of the land dwellers.

-----

coffee Period: The Great Plague
Rats, brought to the Lost Continent half drowned on flotsam and jetsam, bring a terrible plague that the inhabitants have no resistance to. Within two generations, the native population is virtually wiped out.
E coffee Event: The Last Victim
In a small hut on the fringes of Orkhaugr, a man in his late twenties lies on a filthy pallet. Crippled with pain, coughs wrack his body and blood drips onto the straw. After one final heave, he slumps back and his eyes close. There are no more land-dwellers.
E sugar Event: Sole Survivors
Marginalized by the land dwellers and crippled by pollution, the floating villages' policy of isolation allow them to be the only surviving tool users.
E coffee Event: The Promise and the Fall
The people of the floating villages leave the lake and reclaim the land. However, in their pride and enthusiasm, they overfarm the land, beginning the desertification of the Lost Continent.
SE E coffee Scene: Was the Floating Village's choice to turn to farming the death knell to the Great Lake?
A definite yes

-----

coffee Period: The Drying of the Land
A combination of expanding agriculture and changes in the Lost Continent's climate mean that water supplies run low, and the lake gradually dries out over a period of many years.

-----

sugar Period: Explorers Discover the Lost Continent
The landmass is discovered for the first time by civilization at large.
E coffee Event: Bearers Killed by Winged Zaulahr
Two members of the first outside exploration party are killed when winged zaulahr swoop down and attack them.
E sugar Event: Explorers Stumble Upon the Remains of Orkhaugr
Initially thought to be the graveyard of one of the continent's large creatures, the bones turn out to be the midden heap of a settlement that its discoverer names Orkhaugr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The last thing we'll do by consensus is agree on Bookends - a Start Period and and End Period.

Let's hear your ideas . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on what was discussed in the previous thread, the opening bookend could be something like:

Explorers Discover the Lost Continent (Light)

For the end bookmark, off the top of my head I came up with...

Nuclear Explosion Leaves Lost Continent Uninhabitable (Dark)
Lost Continent Sinks Beneath the Sea (Dark)
Lost Continent Joins UN as Independent Nation (Light)
Lost Continent Becomes 51st State (Light..?)
Megafauna Overrun Lost Continent as Last Natives Forced to Leave (Dark)

Thoughts?

Avri - I think you've got the wrong header in your first post. I assume you copied-and-pasted from the OOC thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone interested in a wrinkle? The End Period could be Discovery of the Lost Continent - Light or Dark as preferred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Works for me - I suggested something similar in the recruitment thread:
Quote:
Perhaps we could have the discovery of the continent/island as the beginning, and describe how the inhabitants interact with outsiders? Or the discovery by outsiders could be the end of the history?
Presumably we'd then be telling the story of the natives of the Lost Continent up to the point at which the outsiders arrive? I'll let someone else throw out some ideas as to what the Start bookend would be in that scenario, as nothing springs immediately to mind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Kempf
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this for the starting bookend, if the ending one is the discovery of the continent. Ancient astronauts raise the content out of the ocean?

Personally, I do like it when there are twists and turns and wrinkles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Saxon
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Gnomekin wrote:
Ancient astronauts raise the content out of the ocean?

I think a rise from the ocean would be a good idea. If AA's work for everyone, works for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ancient Astronauts goes a little against the "real world" vibe we talked about in the pregame. How about the following?

Start Period: The Lost Continent Rises From The Ocean
End Period: Discovery Of The Lost Continent

Note, this does not preclude AAs raising the continent, assuming it is allowed by the Palette.

Open to hearing other start or end pitches or tweaks. And if people are happy with the bookends, we still need to pick Light or Dark for the two Periods . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good to me

Perhaps the Start could be dark - the land might be unstable after having risen from the ocean, so any early settlers aren't going to have it easy.

I could see the End going either way:
- Dark because contact with the outsiders means the end of the natives' way of life.
- Light if the outsiders bring the benefits of modern life to a stagnant/ravaged population.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Kempf
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with the beginning dark and the ending light. My gut is to go the other way which means going this way seems more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Saxon
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Dark to light works for me as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timeline updated!

coffee Period: The Lost Continent Rises From the Ocean
A previously submerged landmass breaks through the surface of the waters and is exposed to sun and air for the first time.

-----

sugar Period: Explorers Discover the Lost Continent
The landmass is discovered for the first time by civilization at large.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On to the Palette...

Each player can add one Yes or No ingredient, player order does not matter here.
If every player did add something, we repeat this.

Yes: Add something other players would not expect to be in the history, but you want to be able to include it.
No: Add something other players would expect to be in the history, but you don’t want it included.

We can discuss the choices of others, no one should feel unhappy about anything.

Please give your Yes or No a title and a short description.

My first Palette ingredient:

No: SciFi / Fantasy tropes.
This is a "real world" style setting and the science must be at least plausible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would everyone be OK with:

Yes: dinosaurs and other non-imaginary megafauna
As long as it doesn't contradict Avri's previous 'No' - so no Yetis, Loch Ness Monsters, and the like - then otherwise extinct animals may have survived on the Lost Continent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see no conflict between these Palette items - we don't have a time frame set in stone yet, so this item allows the first Period to (for example) occur before the extinction of the dinosaurs. Or something else that one of us comes up with that follows the letter of the Palette . . .

(Also "No SFF" doesn't necessarily preclude Yetis or Nessy . . .)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Kempf
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had been going to say yes to Pleistocene fauna but that's already been covered.

So, YES to Bronze Age technology.

Let's get things past the Stone Age but we don't have to get too far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnomekin wrote:
I had been going to say yes to Pleistocene fauna but that's already been covered.

So, YES to Bronze Age technology.

Let's get things past the Stone Age but we don't have to get too far.

Do you mean that you don't want technology to go past the Bronze Age? If so, I think you'd need to put "Post-Bronze age technology" in the 'No' column, but I wonder if that would restrict us too much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read it that the End Period couldn't occur before we reach at least the Bronze Age . . .

Lowell, can you clarify your intent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think the Yes column was prescriptive - they're just things that are permitted, not that *must* be included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Kempf
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant that the inhabitants of the lost continent would at least have Bronze Age technology. I didn't mean to necessarily restrict the world to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Saxon
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
No connection to other historic events, such as disappearances, lost/ghost ships, or natural disasters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to be no problem with the first four Palette items. On to the next round:

And I'm actually going to pass here - I like the shape and scope of what we are crafting so far. Plenty of room to roll around and get messy . . .

Everyone else can add one more item or pass, then onto the meat of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb