Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandre Correia
Portugal
Lagos
Algarve
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In anticipation of the coming Black Friday (25/11/2016), does anybody know any European boardgame stores that offer good deals near that date?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieBoard wrote:
In anticipation of the coming Black Friday (25/11/2016), does anybody know any European boardgame stores that offer good deals near that date?

Why would they ?
"Black friday" is set because of Thanksgiving and this latter is an American thing.
I personally do not expect to find better price in American shops in January-February during the French winter sales.
Plus, sales in some European countries could be submitted to laws regarding dates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
ZombieBoard wrote:

Why would they ?
"Black friday" is set because of Thanksgiving and this latter is an American thing.
I personally do not expect to find better price in American shops in January-February during the French winter sales.
Plus, sales in some European countries could be submitted to laws regarding dates.

You say that, but Black Friday is definitely becoming a "thing" over here too.

Amazon did a (very poor) Black Friday sale last year, but the year before was good.

Games Lore did a pre-Black Friday sale last year, picked up a LOT from it.

Board Game Guru did a Black Friday sale last year (I believe).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United Kingdom
Neston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:

You say that, but Black Friday is definitely becoming a "thing" over here too.

Amazon did a (very poor) Black Friday sale last year, but the year before was good.

Games Lore did a pre-Black Friday sale last year, picked up a LOT from it.

Board Game Guru did a Black Friday sale last year (I believe).

Did they announce the sales via the newsletters? I'm after a couple of things in the GamesLore stock but I can wait and see...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lahn Nykjaer
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
Why would they ?

Black Friday has become a big thing in many European countries the past couple of years - if it isn't yet in France, I'm sure it will be sooner rather than later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon.de usually does cyber Monday (weeks) throughout December
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Friday sales have definitely become a thing here in Norway, but mostly for online stores (which is of course idiotic, as that is what Cyber Monday is supposed to be for, *sigh*), and usually the entire weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lahn wrote:
Xahendir wrote:
Why would they ?

Black Friday has become a big thing in many European countries the past couple of years - if it isn't yet in France, I'm sure it will be sooner rather than later

Sales dates are fixed by law/decree and I don't think our parliament/other politician will create something just to get an other period where price are lower.

Few years ago a minister suggested to create 2 other sales periods because he seemed to think it would make people consume more.
Basically everyone laught at him and explained him that in order to consume you need money and creating new sales periods wouldn't create money magically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Steddum
Germany
Homburg
flag msg tools
I live in Germany and primarily buy games from Amazon.de. Last year, I don't remember them having many board game offers on Black Friday. But they did have several great board game lightning deals listed daily, starting around mid-November and lasting until early January.

For example, I purchased the Voyages of Marco Polo last year for 23.39€, on November 18. If memory serves, it was a lightning deal at around that price several times last holiday season.

The deals usually last 3 hours, or until sold out, which can happen very quickly. Usually the better lightning deals are listed here, but not always. A good site to watch for deals in Germany is Brettspiel-Angebote.de.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lahn Nykjaer
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:

Sales dates are fixed by law/decree and I don't think our parliament/other politician will create something just to get an other period where price are lower.

Few years ago a minister suggested to create 2 other sales periods because he seemed to think it would make people consume more.
Basically everyone laught at him and explained him that in order to consume you need money and creating new sales periods wouldn't create money magically.

Okay, I hadn't heard of that before, must be specific to France - how does that even work, how can the government govern when a company puts items on sale?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Wheeler
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year, and the year before, lots of websites have had games offers. I think they either appeared from people spotting them, or might have got posted up to 24hrs in advance.

The lightning deals normally get posted, but I think you're still a bit early

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lahn wrote:
Okay, I hadn't heard of that before, must be specific to France - how does that even work, how can the government govern when a company puts items on sale?

I don't know the details but I think basically it's "It is forbidden to sell at a loss except during 2 6-weeks periods".

And, by the way, in France there is also a law forbidding to sell new books under a certain price (95 % of the MSRP I think).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Wheeler
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
lahn wrote:

I don't know the details but I think basically it's "It is forbidden to sell at a loss except during 2 6-weeks periods".

And, by the way, in France there is also a law forbidding to sell new books under a certain price (95 % of the MSRP I think).

How do they define, a 'loss'?

I know there are certain laws in Britain, about stating a sale price, and that it must be on the full price for a certain period of time beforehand. I wonder if this is something similar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Xahendir wrote:

That sounds like our old "Net Book Agreement" which was nothing to do with the internet by the way and was abolished about twenty years ago.

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Viegas
msg tools
mb
This shop usually have a black friday promotion but they also spyke the prices one or two days before. But still some good deals can be made, i know i made some in the past.

http://diver.pt/index.php?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:

Someone needs a beginner course in economics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan
United Kingdom
Kings Langley, Herts, UK
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
wheelerruss wrote:
Xahendir wrote:
lahn wrote:

How do they define, a 'loss'?

I know there are certain laws in Britain, about stating a sale price, and that it must be on the full price for a certain period of time beforehand. I wonder if this is something similar?

It's basically a discounted item has to be based on a price that was available for sale via at least one branch for a period of contingous 28 days. It can then be on sale forever based on the orig higher price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell D
United Kingdom
Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dipakSomak wrote:
It's basically a discounted item has to be based on a price that was available for sale via at least one branch for a period of contingous 28 days. It can then be on sale forever based on the orig higher price.

IANAL but in the UK there have been cases such as OFT v Officers Club (2005) where the practice of a higher price advertised in a small number of branches being used as the basis for a perpetual sale in other branches has been found to be illegal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anevil giraffe
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Last year in the UK, high street Black Friday sales saw a lot of violence. I have a feeling they might not be that popular this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
anevilgiraffe wrote:
Last year in the UK, high street Black Friday sales saw a lot of violence. I have a feeling they might not be that popular this year.

I also recall the bargains were not such good bargains after all. There was alot of hype.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
angelgabriel wrote:

IANAL but in the UK there have been cases such as OFT v Officers Club (2005) where the practice of a higher price advertised in a small number of branches being used as the basis for a perpetual sale in other branches has been found to be illegal.

A bit off-topic but amusing: when I went to buy my current sofa from (IIRC) DFS, I went in - having previously decided which one I wanted - and asked to buy it. I was told by the staff that I couldn't, because it was "on price control". Meaning that it wasn't actually on sale at the "BONUS SUPER DISCOUNTED SALE!!!1!" price on the ticket after all, they were selling it at full price for a week or whatever for legal reasons. They were officially selling it at the higher price, but they hadn't even changed the price on the ticket, they were so uncommitted to it.

So they got me to call up the Colchester branch of DFS from the phone inside the Peterborough shop and order it from there, taking payment from me at the till in the Peterborough shop and delivering it to my house in Peterborough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Correia
Portugal
Lagos
Algarve
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your contributions, even if sometimes a little off topic.

So from this thread, we know that the following stores usually have Black Friday offers:

Amazon.de in Germany

Games Lore in UK

Board Game Guru in UK

Diver in Portugal

I'll also add Juegame in Spain

Do you know more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Last year, Amazon’s Black Friday sale ran for five days, but this year it is being extended to 12, starting on Monday.
There will be price cuts on popular toys, fuelling fierce competition with Argos, now owned by Sainsbury’s and Tesco.
It is also promising ‘lightning deals’ on gifts, HD TVs, phones and audio products, beauty products, home accessories and fashion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Ward
England
Salford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost every 'big' retail chain in the UK run black friday sales.

IT & Retail analyst here so unfortunately, black friday for me is hard to get away from. By the time it rolls around I have already had enough of it, i'll keep my eye on the Amazon deals.

Places like http://www.debenhams.com/ and http://www.johnlewis.com/ usually stock a very limited collection of games and they have come up in the deals forum now and then.

www.waterstones.com, although looks like they have a bigger selection of games in store rather than online so you'll have to venture out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieBoard wrote:
Thanks for your contributions, even if sometimes a little off topic.

So from this thread, we know that the following stores usually have Black Friday offers:

Amazon.de in Germany

Games Lore in UK

Board Game Guru in UK

Diver in Portugal

I'll also add Juegame in Spain

Do you know more?

You can strike boardgameguru from that list - i am not doing it again. Last year was really unpleasant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.