Kareem Koh
Malaysia
Puchong
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have several questions after reading the rulebook:

1. What are Active Regions? How is the 1/3/5/7/9/11 VPs scored?

2. How does Surplus work? Say in the example there is a +3 on the chicken, 13 Goods are sent to Farmers guild. The 3 extra goods to Merchant. If the track is full, then it goes to the Alchemist. Is that correct? How does it randomly spill over?

3. What happens when all 4 chicken slots have beads in them and a pull / push action is triggered?

4. I'm not entirely sure how the Noble Guild pull action works. Why are the 4 king's seals placed at those spots at setup?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark swanson
United States
Columbia
mo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hello Kareem! here are your questions and my answers. : )

1. What are Active Regions? How is the 1/3/5/7/9/11 VPs scored?

Rulebook p.21: Score for each region occupied by either one of your rulers or landscape-tending serfs.

For example, if you have a ruler in two regions and a landscape-tending serf in a third region, you would score 5 VPs at the dawn of each epoch.
1/3/5/7/9/11

2. How does Surplus work? Say in the example there is a +3 on the chicken, 13 Goods are sent to Farmers guild. The 3 extra goods to Merchant. If the track is full, then it goes to the Alchemist. Is that correct? How does it randomly spill over?

Yes, first to the Merchant, then to the Alchemist. "Randomly" means, that if there were more than the surplus of 3 goods that didn't fit into the barn, you'd first randomly choose 3 goods, discarding the others to the haversack. In your example, there were exactly 3, so you would try to fit all 3.

3. What happens when all 4 chicken slots have beads in them and a pull / push action is triggered?
If the action is impossible to carry out, it is not an option.

4. I'm not entirely sure how the Noble Guild pull action works. Why are the 4 king's seals placed at those spots at setup?

The Journeyman selects any two different colored influence markers from the knight guild, returns them to the supply, in exchange for 2 king's seals from the general supply. They may be place on any space in effort to complete a single row OR column. This scores 3 VP and a Royal Writ (chosen from two).

All spaces at set up specifically allow any Guild Master to score at least 5 VP on his/her first guild: push action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to piggyback if I may.

Regarding combat, it's a little unclear to me. Does the defender declare all cards and such before the attacker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markswanson wrote:
[...]

The Journeyman selects any two different colored influence markers from the knight guild, returns them to the supply, in exchange for 2 king's seals from the general supply. [...]

The different color part is missing in the rulebook. Already wondered why the pull action was superior to the push action (of the knights guild) in this aspect .

Rulebook,p.19 wrote:
The journeyman at the Noble Guild
pulls 2 influence markers from the
Knight Guild into the general supply [...]

Have you considered adding a " ≠ " to the iconography of this action ? So you don't have to remember this detail from the rules.

bigGameGeek wrote:

Regarding combat, it's a little unclear to me. Does the defender declare all cards and such before the attacker?

I would say yes. The only card increasing defense is the Defend Action Card and the rules say
rules,p.13 wrote:
Additionally,
you may use a weapon (Royal Writ card) to increase your
attack by +1 or +2. Saltpeter and/or a weapon may be
added even after your opponent flips over a defend action
card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark swanson
United States
Columbia
mo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Tevor.

Yes. The defender decides if he wants to defend against the attack as it is happening, so technically "before". (He may choose to save it for another potential attack later that round).

Additionally, the attacker (after seeing a defense card played) may add a weapon or a saltpeter (more than one if a knight is involved).

bigGameGeek wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark swanson
United States
Columbia
mo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb

Dorfl2 wrote:
[q="markswanson"][...]

The Journeyman selects any two different colored influence markers from the knight guild, returns them to the supply, in exchange for 2 king's seals from the general supply. [...]

The different color part is missing in the rulebook. Already wondered why the pull action was superior to the push action (of the knights guild) in this aspect . THANKS, GOOD CATCH. - mark

Rulebook,p.19 wrote:
The journeyman at the Noble Guild
pulls 2 influence markers from the
Knight Guild into the general supply [...]

Have you considered adding a " ≠ " to the iconography of this action ? So you don't have to remember this detail from the rules.

bigGameGeek wrote:

I would say yes. The only card increasing defense is the Defend Action Card and the rules say
rules,p.13]Additionally,
you may use a weapon (Royal Writ card) to increase your
attack by +1 or +2. Saltpeter and/or a weapon may be
added even after your opponent flips over a defend action
card.[/q wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added a couple of comments to the rulebook with either questions or things I think could be improved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Lutterot
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markswanson wrote:

Yes, first to the Merchant, then to the Alchemist. "Randomly" means, that if there were more than the surplus of 3 goods that didn't fit into the barn, you'd first randomly choose 3 goods, discarding the others to the haversack. In your example, there were exactly 3, so you would try to fit all 3.

Suppose there are 8 goods in the Farmers guild and a +3 bead on the chickens and 13 goods are sent to the Farmers guild, then you first randomly choose 2 to fill the farmers guild and then randomly pick 3 to try and fit into the merchants (and then Alchemist) guild? And if they don't fit there, they go into the haver sack, no matter if other goods from the Farmer's guild would fit in the Merchants guild instead. In other words, you don't combine the surplus with the farmers guild goods before spilling over. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark swanson
United States
Columbia
mo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Ritz1974 wrote:
markswanson wrote:

Suppose there are 8 goods in the Farmers guild and a +3 bead on the chickens and 13 goods are sent to the Farmers guild, then you first randomly choose 2 to fill the farmers guild and then randomly pick 3 to try and fit into the merchants (and then Alchemist) guild? And if they don't fit there, they go into the haver sack, no matter if other goods from the Farmer's guild would fit in the Merchants guild instead. In other words, you don't combine the surplus with the farmers guild goods before spilling over. Is that correct?

Hello Maurice!

You are correct the way you describe it, Maurice. And yes, you do NOT co-mingle the goods shipped from your own farm with the goods in the farmer guild. (Logistically, it is too fiddly to require scooping up all the goods already in the barn and managing surplus) : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.