Labyrinth: The Awakening, 2010 – ?» Forums » Rules

Subject: Recruit in Islamist Rule without Cadre? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Nierensieb
Germany
flag msg tools
First: Great Expansion!

I have a rules question: The placement of reaction markers could - through Polarization if not contested - result in an IR country where the Jihadist player never actually placed any cells, correct?

If such a case happens (it did in my first solo game), can the Jihadist player recruit in this country after Islamist Rule is declared?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You always need a cell or cadre in a country to recruit there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Holmes
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would have to first travel a cell to IR country(which would be automatic)and then start auto-recruiting from then.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Nierensieb
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks guys.
So this would make the IR country a nation of pacifists in game terms cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Holmes
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are making a good point Christian. This effect is a result of the new rules being added to the base game. In the original game it is not possible to have an IR state without cells as the only way of creating it is by Major Jihad. In Awakening, as you point out, an IR state can be created by amassing reaction markers with no presence of cells. Maybe there should be a rule that allows recruitment of cells in an IR state without prior occupation by cells or cadres.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Bender
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Interesting discussion!

Yes, one would need to get a Cell or Cadre in that IR country in order to auto-recruit there (8.2.2).

The intent was to show that a nation could achieve Islamic Rule status through Reactionary elements which were acting more in a popular manner than through clandestine military means as is represented by the operations that Cells perform.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trevorbender wrote:
Interesting discussion!

Yes, one would need to get a Cell or Cadre in that IR country in order to auto-recruit there (8.2.2).

The intent was to show that a nation could achieve Islamic Rule status through Reactionary elements which were acting more in a popular manner than through clandestine military means as is represented by the operations that Cells perform.

Islamist Rule does not always mean they will be supporting a Jihad or Isis etc. Highly likely , requiring a cell or cadre to recruit could be seen as a mechanism to simulate the influence of fundamentalists etc.

There is no reason why an Islamic state cannot be peaceful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Holmes
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starman54 wrote:
There is no reason why an Islamic state cannot be peaceful.

Fair point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Nierensieb
Germany
flag msg tools
Don't know if this ruling is an intended side effect of the awakening/reaction-mechanic but either way I am really impressed how much the game system can represent with (relatively) few variables.

I really like the idea of a momentarily peaceful IR country where no cells can be recruited (yet). I feel it represents Egypt after the Muslim Brotherhood was elected quite well.

Just to be clear: the jihadi-bot would not try to move cells into this country, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Christian,

I can't think of a scenario where the charts would have the bot move cells to this IR country. There are probably scenarios where a human would try to get a cell or cadre there, but at least in Awakening, there's usually not just a single Auto-Recruit country, so it may not be a problem. And remember that removing all cells isn't a victory condition against a Jihadist bot, so not utilizing a potential Auto-Recruit isn't as big a concern for it.

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.