flag msg tools
badge
...and I'm back in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are only four votes for this player count at the moment:
1 Best
2 Recommended
1 Not Recommended

What do people think about this as a two-player game? I see that players are taking over parts of the production process and trying to get players to use their part. This seems like it would be better with more people. That said, I play most all of my games with just one other player, so it's important that it play well that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy it with two. The gameplay will probably feel different at different player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
icarusmustburn wrote:
I enjoy it with two. The gameplay will probably feel different at different player counts.

The designer said it was almost a completely different game even though the rules are the same.

Anyway, mostly a 2p gamer player myself and have played this once so far at 2p. At first I thought it was not good at all. Then then strategies to win became more apparent. By the time it was over I loved it. I would guess that it's more cutthroat and less chaotic at 2p compared to higher player counts. I'm not sure I'd even want to play this with more than 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Alexander
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
I like to think of King Chocolate as two simultaneous games. One is an efficiency game, where you optimize your group sizes, move cubes so that others can't take them, etc. The second is a more social manipulative supply chain game of examining the entire flow of the board and making it in others' best interest to use their turns to move product through your groups. The second game doesn't exist with 2 players but I feel like the fist game is at its best (and most "pure") with 2 players.

With 3-5 players you're often making moves that give you 10 points and give other player 10 points. It's sort of cooperative/competitive. With 2 players you'll often give yourself only 2 just so the other player gets 0. It's zero sum, a bit trickier, and a bit nastier.

I really like it with 2 players - but it does feel like a different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
With 3-5 players you're often making moves that give you 10 points and give other player 10 points. It's sort of cooperative/competitive. With 2 players you'll often give yourself only 2 just so the other player gets 0. It's zero sum, a bit trickier, and a bit nastier.

This totally makes sense.

I normally don't like zero sum in 2p games, but this one is the exception. It's probably because it's an economic game and that so many other zero sum games have a take that mechanic or at least a take that vibe which I loathe with only 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.