Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is basically an update to my original reskin, so most of this info is the same, just reposting it with all the new stuff for the sake of completionism.

I'm a big fan of this game, and own both the Kanai Factory and Tempest versions. Now I have the Premium edition.

The original and Kanai versions have seen my table plenty of times, and my original HP Lovecraft Letter also hit the table pretty frequently. Especially as we got closer to Halloween (in fact, it was typically a prize for best costumes at my Halloween parties!). Why woo princesses, when you can unleash old gods on the world in a Lovecraftian horror game?

Thematically I'd say you're a cultist trying to curry favor with the old gods, and knocking the other players out is them succumbing to their madness. I replaced the Affection Tokens with Silver Keys that you can find at any craft store as bracelet charms or something. Get the keys, escape through the gate, win!

I posted an image at half size, with the game text blurred, and NOT TO PRINT on it. Out of respect to AEG, and the newness of this version of the game, I didn't want the print ready files being posted. If for some reason it seems reasonable to post the print-ready files, I will do so.

Original Cards:

1. Nyarlathotep replaces the Guard. As he loves to be cruel, I think him having the power to unmask an opponent and eliminate them seems to fit. Also, as he has a thousand masks he wears, it makes sense he would be the most plentiful card.

2. Yig replaces the Priest. I confess I don't know much about Yig, but since he is the 'Father of Serpents' I figure be snakelike and peeking at an opponent's hand fit.

3. Ithaqua replaces the Baron. With the bitter winds blowing, I picture Ithaqua as the elemental force that culls the weak, so it works where you compare two cards and eliminate the lower.

4. Shub-Niggurath replaces the Handmaiden. I imagine she would be the one protecting her Dark Young. So giving protection for a turn fits.

5. Hastur replaces the Prince. He is a King, but that card was reserved for another. Since he spreads fear and madness, I figured the Prince ability to discard a player's hand and get something new worked, plus it could eliminate one with the Princess equivalent.

6. Cthulhu replaces the King. When it comes to Lovecraft, Cthulhu is king. Swapping hands is pretty chaotic component of the game, and thought it fit nicely.

7. Yog-Sothoth replaces the Countess. Despite this being a horror twisted version, I went with the Tempest rules, actually making the game slightly easier. Since Yoggy exists outside the universe and can't do all too much, it made sense to me that he can't be present with the other big powers.

8. Azathoth replaces the Princess. He may not be as pretty, but when he wakes up everyone dies, and the best way to do that was to have him kill the player who dares discard him.

Now for the new stuff!

7. Daoloth replaces the Minister from the Kanai version. I added him after the original set because the Minister grew on me, so I wanted to have the option to swap him in instead of just playing with a variable rule. Daoloth rips open the veil between dimensions, so if you get too much Old God power in your hand... you lose.

0. Nodens replaces the Assassin. He is a hunter, and not an Old God, so he would be "worthless" but may ride in and take out a servant of Nyarlathotep, if it pleases him.

0. Cultist replaces the Jester. Another "worthless" card in that at the end of the game it doesn't give you any points towards your score (in a tie). However, you choose someone else to serve, in a way, riding on their coattails so you can win if they do, of course you could win on your own too. I have a coin with Cthulhu's image on it that I use for a Cultist Token.

2. Tsathoggua replaces the Cardinal. I'll admit, my expansion cards weren't as thematic as the original ones were, so this was just because I liked Tsathoggua screwing with other players.

3. Yibb-Tstll replaces the Baroness. Thematically she watches everything, so she fit for this power.

4. Bokrug replaces the Sycophant. He was worshipped by the beings of Ib and they were wiped out, so he brought the doom to the people who destroyed them. So forcing a player to be a target seemed to fit.

5. Glaaki replaces the Count. You can't keep Glaaki down so he makes you stronger in the end.

6. Ghatanothoa replaces the Constable. Son of Cthulhu. Trapped, but still worshipped. Bury him, but still be rewarded in the end.

7. Cthughua replaces the Dowager Queen. Basically the opposite of Ithaqua/Baron, so fire instead of ice. Burn them down!

9. Ulthar replaces the Bishop. The Elder God who watches the Old Gods. Can see through the eyes of cats. Strong, but still, in the end, Azathoth destroys all.

So that's it. I took this opportunity to add Elder Sign icons to each card to show how many of each card are in the game. Different colors to differentiate between the original and the expansion. My cards are at the printer now, so once I receive them, I'll show a photo or two of them with my Silver Keys and Cultist Token, as well as the book I keep them in.

And, for the record:
None of the art is my own, and the rules clearly aren't either. All the quotes are attributed to Mr. Lovecraft himself, either through his works, letters, or interviews. All I did was put this puzzle of madness together. Thanks all for reading this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to add an image of my printed cards, along with the book box I use. Also has a few of my Silver Key "affection" tokens and the token I use for the cultist on that card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to print this out and do this up, are the files anywhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.