seth van orden
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played once, but it doesn't seem much point to side quests or search that isn't directly related to your mission.

I understand they add thematic bonus to the game, but mechanically it doesn't seem worth the effort to go out of your way to search for and gain items.

For example finding an item like the king james bible hardly sounds very useful. I can spend a full action just to remove a single face down mind damage. That hardly worth the action even if I always had the power.

Just in general I was very underwhelmed by the abilities grated by the items. They seemed a weak reward to go out of your way to get them. Does this change in future games, or should I always ignore anything but the mission.

Despite searching the whole first mission and collecting all items we could find, I only felt barely more powerful then I did at the beginning. It was really disappointing.

Thoughts?

I really want to like this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't always know (the first couple of plays) which searches are necessary and which aren't, so getting something out of them to help offset the fact that you're delaying the end game and making it tougher is the basic intent (I think).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the search tokens are very tempting, and OCCASIONALLY you find something which is crucial to solving the investigation. Most of the time, as you point out, you get something of questionable utility.

I, personally, really like this balance/unbalance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirv
msg tools
It is an interesting question.

It would be nice to expect a greater reward based on a greater risk. I have only played through the 1st and 2nd scenarios. I can't say for sure if that expectation doesn't hold across the board, but it seemed like a crap-shoot for the most part anecdotally. Personally, I don't mind that, but I think I have resigned myself to losing more often than not .

But I do have a fond memory of an almost-insane Agatha Crane finding the Tommy Gun and opening up on a Child of Dagon, killing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Similar feelin here, most of the search tokens are just random stuff of doubtful usefulness.

Maybe except that king james bible is very usefull.
In this game it is really diffult to get rid of horror. Going insane might be actually game over for your character. It can have much worse consequences than getting wounded. So I value highly any means of getting rid of horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Miller
United States
Alhambra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reid666 wrote:
Similar feelin here, most of the search tokens are just random stuff of doubtful usefulness.

In this game it is really diffult to get rid of horror. Going insane might be actually game over for your character. It can have much worse consequences than getting wounded. So I value highly any means of getting rid of horror.

Last game I played, I had Michael McGlen loudly reading passages from his King James Bible almost every turn, sometimes twice a turn, when he wasn't blasting away at monsters with his .38. T'was the only thing that kept himself and his two associates from going completely insane and failing the scenario.

When we first play a scenario, my friends and I try to get our hands on everything we can find. Invariably, we'll lose the scenario on that first try, but then, on later play-throughs, we can think more about what might be useful and worth the effort to acquire, leaving behind what we don't feel we need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reid666 wrote:

This all the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.