R C
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So while looking for a sale on Guardians of the Galaxy small box, I came across a 50% off sale for Legendary Encounters: Aliens and for Predator as well.

Just want to know a few things if possible:

1. I play most of my Marvel legendary solo, with maybe 1 2 player game a fortnight and the occasional rare 3 player one. Bear in mind I own Base Game + Dark City + Deadpool (unpacking that small box tomorrow), how fun is this solo?

2. How hard are games to setup compared to Marvel Legendary, once all the sorting is done? Most reviews don;t seem to mention the pack up or setup times required. Is it considerbaly more then Marvel Legendary.

3. Does the game feel stale after each movie has been played? I'm gathering randomising things would be nowhere near as interesting as randomising Marvel Legendary.

4. Which of the two (pred/alien) would u recommend the most as they are both on sale, but im leaning towards Aliens more even though love Predators too, but watching some videos it seems less interesting somehow.

5. Being a Sous Chef, Father and Husband. Do I even have time for another Card Game in my life, maybe I should just stick with Marvel Legendary expansions. But damn $49 AUD + Sleeves is very very tempting, specially with Christmas around the bend (I play Fallen with my Dad a lot too, good game that, could be a tad more thematic though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I think Encounters games are more suitable for solo play, they're pure cooperative, after all. Legendary Marvel is not quite complete without the competitive aspect.
2. Setup is slightly quicker, imho.. also sorting the cards after the game is a bit quicker.
3. Opinions differ on this, some people like to play only the original "movies" setup but in my experience it's fun to randomise missions using all Encounters games, including Firefly.
4. Aliens by far. Predator offers only two movies, the other half of cards is intended for competitive game that is much worse than Legendary Marvel.
5. That's up to you.. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly agree with Tom on everything but #4. Aliens is the better co-op buy. You have four movies worth of cards while Predator is only two. And Predator has minor goals which annoy me to no end. Predator is THE best Legendary game for competitive. Marvel likes to pretend it has competitive but it's just a weak semi co-op. I don’t think I've even seen anyone play it that way in a long time. Predator's co-op is direct and to the point. BUT... it is still only two movies. If you play it a lot, it could grow stale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colt2911 wrote:
1. I play most of my Marvel legendary solo, with maybe 1 2 player game a fortnight and the occasional rare 3 player one. Bear in mind I own Base Game + Dark City + Deadpool (unpacking that small box tomorrow), how fun is this solo?

As stated, Alien is a great (if not the best) coop experience. On a solo level, the game is much more difficult to play single handed. The Cooperate keyword is really critical to succeeding the game.

I loved what Predator offered, but it's only hit the table three times as we found to enjoy Alien better as a coop and Marvel better as a pseudo-competitive (though mechanically I feel like Predator should be better on paper, maybe it's the theme for us).

Colt2911 wrote:
2. How hard are games to setup compared to Marvel Legendary, once all the sorting is done? Most reviews don;t seem to mention the pack up or setup times required. Is it considerbaly more then Marvel Legendary.

The game takes a bit longer than Marvel in set up and tear down. The Hive ("Villains") deck uses a tiered system (a la Pandemic's Epidemic cards if you're familiar with it) while setting up. The experience results in a more structured experience that grows in difficulty as the game progresses. Otherwise it's not too different and adds only a nominal amount of time.

Colt2911 wrote:
3. Does the game feel stale after each movie has been played? I'm gathering randomising things would be nowhere near as interesting as randomising Marvel Legendary.

This is my biggest issue with Alien. The game shines in its structure, but you are limited to the preset stories. You can obviously customize the game further and use random heroes, but we feel the game suffers for it. I've brought Marvel heroes into it twice and the game was far more challenging without Coordinate and it just felt off.

Colt2911 wrote:
4. Which of the two (pred/alien) would u recommend the most as they are both on sale, but im leaning towards Aliens more even though love Predators too, but watching some videos it seems less interesting somehow.

Alien is a more cohesive package, especially for a solo player. Predator adds a lot of great things on paper, but again it didn't gain the traction/popularity with our group that I'd hoped.

Colt2911 wrote:
5. Being a Sous Chef, Father and Husband. Do I even have time for another Card Game in my life, maybe I should just stick with Marvel Legendary expansions. But damn $49 AUD + Sleeves is very very tempting, specially with Christmas around the bend (I play Fallen with my Dad a lot too, good game that, could be a tad more thematic though).

I think there's merit to both. Alien is fresh, but more Marvel gives you so many more options for your existing game. Personally, I'll get the Alien expansion, but I've slowed down on my Marvel expansions (I have them all through Secret Wars 2) and probably won't pick more up right away.

Since you mentioned you're a father, some people have expressed a concern for the violent art in Alien and Predator. If that's something that you want to censor from your kid then that may sway your opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.