Jay Reevo
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Leaving Earth - Mission #11

Shared from the Solitaire Games On Your Table - November 2016

So, I finished the board for Leaving Earth. A1 grey-board painted with left-over blue emulsion from the bedroom decoration. 2mm tile spacers (cut as required) and all placed correctly, to the millimetre... this time! Here's how it looks at the end of my largest game yesterday. I got all set up, did a draw from the missions (Artificial satellite [2], Mars survey [5], Mars lander [7], Phobos sample return [12], Lunar survey [10], Mercury lander [13]) and got stuck in with all the new inspiration from trawling the LE forum. I shuffled the outcome cards, counted 28 and placed them horizontally on the tech cards ready to turn vertical when they were purchased and I was off; I felt optimistic!

I was determined to do this by the book; I would plan everything in advance, as advised. An hour went by with my pencil and pad before I felt like my brain would explode so I started buying. It's not that this math is difficult but the planning of multiple missions (and single missions, I guess!) that cause the brain-ache.

I was amazed that it still took so many years to get the majority of what I needed; maybe eight years went by before anything really got hot on the launchpad. I had given up on the Mars lander as I just couldn't calculate how to drop the lander from Mars Orbit and move on to Phobos to do the sampling. However, I did manage to get the sample and headed home. I assume that Ion Thrusters are the only way to move around without massive rocket arrays.

Mercury landers were relatively simple once they were on their way. I did get really stuck without the power to get to Lunar sample return. This took me a long time staring into space to work out if I could send the craft on its way and send power to Lunar orbit to meet them later and give them a help to get back into Earth orbit. This all had to be done in an extremely tight schedule. It was going to work until I surveyed the Moon to find dust storms that made it impossible to land! I had that sinking feeling as I realised that all that effort was going to get me nowhere.

This just left a few years of pulling hourglasses off craft to finalise the Phobos sample and the Mercury landing. This is how the mission ended in my Ektopia Mission Card Sliding Ground Control Base™ (EMCSGCB™).
whistle

It was my highest score and I learnt so much. I didn't pay off the of success outcomes apart from the Ion Thrusters and weeded out the failures in moderate safety and then held my breath later on, although I had become pretty confident with the durability of the kit by then. One particular learning point was to go back a little and not choose quite so many medium missions and try to remember to walk before I can confidently run.

I'm looking forward to a nice decaf coffee and giving Leaving Earth a rest for a couple of days, though. It's pretty intense and I hope that it will get a little less so as I get better. At the moment, I end up laying awake in bed thinking things through; which isn't really part of my longterm plan!

If you like pour-over, I can recommend a proper pour-over kettle... a very relaxing way to brew!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the setup you have!
Two questions though: How easy/difficult is it to pick up cards from it?
What are you going to do when you inevitably add Outer Planets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a simple man. I see filtered coffee and a custom board, I upvote.

Nice mission description. I am eager to read more about your upcoming games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reevo
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:

Thanks!

Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Two questions though: How easy/difficult is it to pick up cards from it?

Picking the cards is absolutelyh fine. I guess if you had really bitten fingernails it may be more difficult.

Ze_German_Guy wrote:
What are you going to do when you inevitably add Outer Planets?

Ahhh, well I suppose I'll be buying two more boards and another pack of tile spacers. I suspect I'll take weeks rearranging the cards until I'm happy with the placement. I'm looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reevo
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dagar wrote:
I am a simple man. I see filtered coffee and a custom board, I upvote.

Nice mission description. I am eager to read more about your upcoming games.

Thanks Josh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.