Alan
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
And now.. presenting... RUKASU as WotW!

He's my favorite lynch candidate just because (doesn't his name sound evil? ). I didn't realize that we both played the same first game on BGG together. It's been a while ya know. Sorry if I ate you Rukasu... but, that's the way the game goes (gotta keep it strictly pimping).

Rukasu slips under the radar. He's #6 in our community with number of games played, currently at 128. He's been a moderator 3 times as well. I played in his Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl as Wil Turner and successfully died in that one!

We've all been in several games with him and I look forward (once I get some free time) to being in more with him.

And, now... Rukasu!

Rukasu wrote:

I AM AFRAID you may find my life rather dull, but it can't be helped. If I were to describe my years as an undercover operative in the Sudan, my encounters with exotic Amazons in the heart of Brazil or my battle against a race of supernatural entities that were bent on world destruction, then I would be catapulted onto the world stage as a hero. Unfortunately, this would also compromise my current alias, and I can't allow that to happen. I wish I could tell you more, but the fate of the Faerie world rests in my hands. No, the real story will have to wait until I write my autobiography; look for it sometime in the next 50 years (provided I survive). Until that time, I present you with the history of 'myself.'

I was born in St. Louis, Missouri, in 1988. I am the second of four children and the only boy. My family moved to Ohio when I was a toddler, and we lived there until the end of the millennium, when we moved back to St. Louis because of my dad's job.

My mom says that she taught me to read, and then I taught myself everything else. I was home-schooled until 7th grade, when I enrolled in a small, private Christian school part time. I attended it full time from 10th grade onwards, and graduated last year with a class of only ten people. This last Fall I went to the University of Missouri-Columbia, and I completed my first year there earlier this month. My intended major is journalism, though if I could do anything I would probably spend my days writing fiction and poetry beside a beautiful, shimmering lake or by majestic, towering mountains. Something like that, anyway.

I grew up playing board games: I started with Candyland and Chutes and Ladders before working my way up to Monopoly, Risk, Clue, Masterpiece, and Scrabble. But it wasn't until I found Axis & Allies that this pleasant and infrequent diversion turned into something more. I can still remember a day visiting my Grandma's house in St. Louis (we lived in Cincinnati at this time) when my cousin and I began to mess around with the game. I think I was around nine or ten, my cousin is a few years my senior. We began to make up our own rules when my dad came down and started reading the real ones. I don't remember why the game was there, or if we even played the game, but I do know that soon afterwards we came across a copy of it back home, and promptly purchased it. Over the years we picked up A&A: Europe and Pacific from various stores, but I was still unaware of the larger community of board games awaiting me.

Then, sometime in 2004, I found BGG. I don't remember how I found it; I think it must have had something to do with the Lord of the Rings TCG, which I had been playing since the release of the first expansion back in 2002. My best friend at school and I had nurtured a thriving little community of players, and without this community I doubt my obsession with the game would have lasted as long as it did. The key to enjoying a CCG rests in both the opponent's you have to play and access to a large trade pool, which allows you to create competitive decks a lot easier. But I digress.

I lurked around BGG for a couple of months, and finally placed my first board game order through Thoughthammer. I still have a few Geeklists that track my early acquisitions. From then on it was history. A year or two before, I had purchased my first video game console, and so my collection of board games grew sporadically through large orders: my fascination with each hobby went in phases until I got my first job at Target in the fall of 2005, at which point my newfound affluence allowed me to expand both at a wonderful rate.

The summer of 2004 was my board gaming Mecca, and ever since then playing a game is the activity of choice for most of the family. My two oldest sisters and my father make up the core of the strategy group, and will play almost anything. Then there are a few shorter games that my youngest sister and my mom will play; lastly I still play wargames with my cousin every once in a while. This past year was kind of a drought, as there is always something to do at college and I went home about every other weekend. I hope to remedy this next year and find a regular group of players and a time when we can play.

Well that is a lot longer than I intended, and if anyone actually read everything up to here then you have my pity, as well as the sincere thanks of the Faeries. Look for a little extra something the next time you lose a molar.

Oh wait, I didn't talk about Werewolf! My first game was Xandryyte's "Basic Game" (38), though my first sign-ups were for "Camelot Legends" and Kima's "LotR Part II." Well after a terrible performance in my first game I must have been hooked, as I am almost never without a game. I guess I'm addicted. Yep. That's why I play, no secret message sent by my alien contact embedded here.

I would like to thank Luthien for picking me to be WotW, and also all of the wonderful players and mods that comprise this small community. I kind of feel like the Werewolf forums are my home on the internet, and I don't think I've encountered a nicer group of people anywhere else. I look forward to your questions, for it is only when I am forced to write down my thoughts about a subject that I actually realize what I believe. Ask away!

And now Rukasu's 2 Truths and a Lie:
Rukasu wrote:

I applied to Harvard, and was accepted.
I have almost been asphyxiated--twice.
I pitched a no-hitter in Little League.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fusionguy1 wrote:
They've had over 20 WotW and Ruk hasn't been one yet???

Cangrats!

I say 2 is the lie.

Thank you! 27 is a great number: it is three cubed, the number of books in the New Testement and the number of outs in a baseball game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rukasu wrote:
and the number of outs in a baseball game.

Depends upon the score after that 27th out is recorded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PaulW
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fusionguy1 wrote:
They've had over 20 WotW and Ruk hasn't been one yet???

That was my thought.

Grats!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
Rukasu wrote:

Or strictly speaking, the score after the 51st out is recorded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
SybotCB wrote:
Rukasu wrote:

Touche`

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
Rukasu wrote:
and the number of outs in a vanilla baseball game.

Fix'd?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
SybotCB wrote:
Rukasu wrote:
and the number of outs one team has to get in a vanilla baseball game.

Okay, I disown my original statement. Didn't think it through that much, and I am a huge baseball fan. Silly 27.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pragmatically turning whims into principles
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

Let's see, questions....

Favorite game played?

Favorite game modded?

Favorite role?

Good, evil, or neutral?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Redhawke wrote:
Congrats!

Thank you!

Quote:
Let's see, questions....

Excellent.

Quote:
Favorite game played?

This is a very hard question, as I have participated in a lot of amazing games/series here: hounds' The Thing, CapAp's Doomtown and The Werewolf Gauntlet, yekrats' Survivor, janiera's Curse of the Lighthouse III, Kima's Lord of the Rings, acekim's Aliens, jmilum's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrel, bluebehir's Bewitched, dalestephenson's Highlander: The Battlecard Game and many others. I probably enjoyed playing in many of these games as much as my pick for favorite game, but I have to give the nod to SecretSauce's "A Game of Thrones." It was a masterpiece, even with some balance issues, and it was incredible to watch it unfold. The theme was top-notch: the fact that everyone was a named character with special abilites was amazing, and the Houses' power struggle for the Iron Throne, all the while under threat from the Others, was well implemented. I also loved the follow-up, "A Clash of Kings," and I am patiently waiting for the sign-up thread for "A Storm of Swords."

Quote:
Favorite game modded?

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black pearl hands-down. It didn't go as well as I had hoped, but it was a lot of fun and I learned a ton about designing a Werewolf game from it. Be on the look-out for more pirates in the coming week.

Quote:
Favorite role?

I prefer to be assigned a wolf role, though it is usually the most nerve-wracking to be a clueless villager toward the end of a game.

Quote:
Good, evil, or neutral?

I guess I would have to go with evil, though I enjoy playing both sides. It is sometimes nice to have a break from the pressure of being evil, and other times it is fun to be behind the scenes pulling the strings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations.

How many pairs of shoes do you own? And what is the prevailing color?

Have you ever stuck a baby in a microwave? Wanted to?

Are you normally a sick individual, or is that just your BGG persona?

Are you really going to answer any of these stupid questions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
Congratulations.

Uh-oh.

Quote:
How many pairs of shoes do you own? And what is the prevailing color?

Whew, an easy question. I suppose four. My current pair of tennis shoes, my future pair of tennis shoes (my mom dragged us to an outlet one day, but I'm wearing my current ones completely out first), a pair of dress shoes and finally some old slip-ons that I sometimes use for various reasons. Some other shoes that were formerly mine are lying around, but they belong to the community and I don't wear them anymore.

Quote:
Have you ever stuck a baby in a microwave? Wanted to?

No comment.

Quote:
Are you normally a sick individual, or is that just your BGG persona?

I never knew I had a persona, so I will take sick if that's all that is left. Have you cornered 'no pants' yet?

Quote:
Are you really going to answer any of these stupid questions?

Apparently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Congrats Rukasu! I forgot to mention in my intro that my favorite pet name for you in a game is "Rucksack".

Sending the love!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luthien wrote:
Congrats Rukasu! I forgot to mention in my intro that my favorite pet name for you in a game is "Rucksack".

Sending the love!

Oh yeah, I'm feeling it. Haven't heard that in a while...Loohen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were to fight another WW player in a jello, who would that be and why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmb
Latria wrote:

Please be me, please be me, please be me!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Latria wrote:

Tough. Obviously, fighting someone of the opposite sex like kuchick, JCWid etc. would be...interesting. However, I would want to fight a person that a) would be as least awkward as possible b) I could beat and c) wouldn't hold a grudge. c) may be a problem, because we are fighting in jello. And something must have gone terribly wrong with our relationship to drive us to that point.

I think I can rule out Beowulf; that would not be pretty.

Belash seems eager to give it a try, which means he has something devious up his sleeve. Dangerous.

Oh yeah, I know who I'd fight. SecretSauce. Why? So I can force him to run "A Storm of Swords," or at the very least give me an update. I wouldn't hurt him too bad, he'd still be able to type. And I don't know why we'd do it in jello, but I'm okay with that. I'll have my people contact his people and see if it can be arranged anytime soon.

BTW, I think I need a rival. It would make questions like this much easier. Anyone interested?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmb
Rukasu wrote:
Belash wrote:
Latria wrote:

Please be me, please be me, please be me

Oh yeah, I know who I'd fight. SecretSauce.

cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belash wrote:
Rukasu wrote:
Belash wrote:
Latria wrote:

Please be me, please be me, please be me

Oh yeah, I know who I'd fight. SecretSauce.

cry

Ah, an excellent candidate for a rival. How do I push him over the brink...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rukasu wrote:
Belash wrote:
cry
Ah, an excellent candidate for a rival. How do I push him over the brink...
Get him lynched Day 1 in the next game he plays in.

Here's a question: what is the meaning of life?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimJester wrote:

Good question. In fact, this is the question. I believe that life is meant to be enjoyed, it is a wonderful gift and many people waste it by getting swept away in materialism. I know I do all the time, and it is something that I struggle with. To clarify, this world and the things in it are not evil in and of themselves, but they are not the way they are supposed to be either. Sin is a very real reality, and it taints every aspect of our life and the world around us. I am blessed to live where I do, for many other places around the world are much worse off: both in possessions and in freedoms.

But back on track: We are meant to enjoy life. Life, many times, is frustrating, disappointing and terribly sad. Man oppresses man, beast kills beast, time never stops ticking and each step we take is one step closer to the end of something. On the other hand, many of us live at a standard of living that would have been incomprehensible just a few hundred years ago. We can have it all, yet we still become depressed or bored and then merely push our troubles aside and look forward to the next big thing that will make us happy. And when that thing no longer excites, well then we can always look forward to something else. That is our curse: we live too much in the future and not in the now. We are too busy arranging for our future enjoyment that we fail to enjoy our current state. And when we do enjoy our current state, it eventually leaves us empty. That's it? That's all there is? We distract ourselves from the uncomfortable reality that we do not have all the answers, that we do not know what happens when we do take that final step and that our current obsession is really very small and insignificant in the large scheme of things.

So where does this leave us? It leaves many of us with a dull, meaningless existence that we escape from whenever possible via movies, books, T.V., video games or vacation. Escaping makes us happy for a while, for it allows us to forget our problems and to forget ourselves, and to be swept into a new world without our problems. Still, entertainment is more than escapism: good stories resonate with us on a very deep level, they speak to us about our life. They force us to reflect, to put things into perspective and give us tools by which we can judge our current situation. Usually this happens after the fact, as a good story holds our interest and forces us to turn the page or continue watching. It is the connection that we feel to the characters or setting or themes which keeps us involved and drives us to reflect--reflect on the nature of reality, the struggle between good and evil and sometimes situations that real people had to face.

Stories are an important part of life, and almost all stories revolve around a protagonist or hero. Traditionally, the hero is an embodiment of the ideals of a culture, and exhibits the qualities that people hold in esteem. The hero quests after immortality, and because it is impossible for humans to obtain this physically many times the hero must win it through kleos or fame, so that his name will live on and be remembered. Even though life is hard, the dream of never-ending life is attractive. Other than Norse fatalism or Neitzschian existentialism, it is hard not to hope for something more, something better. Why? Because we have tasted it. Life is not only hard, it can also be glorious, thrilling, full of pleasure and sport. This is the dichotomy of our present existence. We live through the highs and lows, the ups and downs. Even though we may sink to the bottom of the sea, the dream of the mountain keeps us kicking upward. And if it has always been this way, should not it always be? Death is an incredibly hard concept to understand, for it seems like the negation of all that we know. The opposite of what we are. It is unknown. Therefore, immortality is comforting, it gives us peace of mind.

Many people believe that religion is the opiate of the masses. That people believe in God because it is the easy thing to do; he becomes their security blanket. This is true, but it does not change the fact that we will never be able to fill the emptiness in our lives with the things of this world--all the cars, money, relationships and vacations we want will not satisfy. We remain the same: the same wannabe hero searching for immortality and happiness. We will never find it unless we look to something greater than ourselves, something that can wash away all of the emotional crap that denies us joy. We feel guilty, we feel small, we feel like we are failures and sometimes we hate the things we do. But we can't change. We are stuck in the futility of life, and will continue to spin around in circles looking for anything that can give us direction and peace. I believe that only God can give us this direction and peace, he is the one who created us and he is the one who makes our lives worth living. We were meant to enjoy living: living in his presence and in his world that he gave us. We screwed it up, and ever since a separation has existed between us. We can't fix this broken relationship, he has to. And he has, in a very real and historical event. Not only does this allow us to find peace and contentment in every aspect of our lives, and therefore enjoy them so much more, but this also gives us victory over death. Where now, o Death, is thy sting? Life was supposed to last forever, it was supposed to be good, it was supposed to be enjoyed. We cannot fully experience these things in this current fallen state, but the promise of a new heaven and new earth gives me assurance that it will be once more.

That is much longer than I intended, and I am afraid there are many rabbit trails that I did not need to follow, but I hope that this answered your question more than danced around it.

"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
-Maximus Decimus Meriduis, Gladiator
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ya had to ask didn't ya Grim? Just had to...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luthien wrote:
Ya had to ask didn't ya Grim? Just had to...

Yeah, I hope I didn't scare anyone else off from asking questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
OH! I forgot one. Why is Luthien your favorite werewolf player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rukasu wrote:
GrimJester wrote:

Good question. In fact, this is the question. I believe that life is meant to be enjoyed, it is a wonderful gift and many people waste it by getting swept away in materialism. I know I do all the time, and it is something that I struggle with. To clarify, this world and the things in it are not evil in and of themselves, but they are not the way they are supposed to be either. Sin is a very real reality, and it taints every aspect of our life and the world around us. I am blessed to live where I do, for many other places around the world are much worse off: both in possessions and in freedoms.

But back on track: We are meant to enjoy life. Life, many times, is frustrating, disappointing and terribly sad. Man oppresses man, beast kills beast, time never stops ticking and each step we take is one step closer to the end of something. On the other hand, many of us live at a standard of living that would have been incomprehensible just a few hundred years ago. We can have it all, yet we still become depressed or bored and then merely push our troubles aside and look forward to the next big thing that will make us happy. And when that thing no longer excites, well then we can always look forward to something else. That is our curse: we live too much in the future and not in the now. We are too busy arranging for our future enjoyment that we fail to enjoy our current state. And when we do enjoy our current state, it eventually leaves us empty. That's it? That's all there is? We distract ourselves from the uncomfortable reality that we do not have all the answers, that we do not know what happens when we do take that final step and that our current obsession is really very small and insignificant in the large scheme of things.

So where does this leave us? It leaves many of us with a dull, meaningless existence that we escape from whenever possible via movies, books, T.V., video games or vacation. Escaping makes us happy for a while, for it allows us to forget our problems and to forget ourselves, and to be swept into a new world without our problems. Still, entertainment is more than escapism: good stories resonate with us on a very deep level, they speak to us about our life. They force us to reflect, to put things into perspective and give us tools by which we can judge our current situation. Usually this happens after the fact, as a good story holds our interest and forces us to turn the page or continue watching. It is the connection that we feel to the characters or setting or themes which keeps us involved and drives us to reflect--reflect on the nature of reality, the struggle between good and evil and sometimes situations that real people had to face.

Stories are an important part of life, and almost all stories revolve around a protagonist or hero. Traditionally, the hero is an embodiment of the ideals of a culture, and exhibits the qualities that people hold in esteem. The hero quests after immortality, and because it is impossible for humans to obtain this physically many times the hero must win it through kleos or fame, so that his name will live on and be remembered. Even though life is hard, the dream of never-ending life is attractive. Other than Norse fatalism or Neitzschian existentialism, it is hard not to hope for something more, something better. Why? Because we have tasted it. Life is not only hard, it can also be glorious, thrilling, full of pleasure and sport. This is the dichotomy of our present existence. We live through the highs and lows, the ups and downs. Even though we may sink to the bottom of the sea, the dream of the mountain keeps us kicking upward. And if it has always been this way, should not it always be? Death is an incredibly hard concept to understand, for it seems like the negation of all that we know. The opposite of what we are. It is unknown. Therefore, immortality is comforting, it gives us peace of mind.

Many people believe that religion is the opiate of the masses. That people believe in God because it is the easy thing to do; he becomes their security blanket. This is true, but it does not change the fact that we will never be able to fill the emptiness in our lives with the things of this world--all the cars, money, relationships and vacations we want will not satisfy. We remain the same: the same wannabe hero searching for immortality and happiness. We will never find it unless we look to something greater than ourselves, something that can wash away all of the emotional crap that denies us joy. We feel guilty, we feel small, we feel like we are failures and sometimes we hate the things we do. But we can't change. We are stuck in the futility of life, and will continue to spin around in circles looking for anything that can give us direction and peace. I believe that only God can give us this direction and peace, he is the one who created us and he is the one who makes our lives worth living. We were meant to enjoy living: living in his presence and in his world that he gave us. We screwed it up, and ever since a separation has existed between us. We can't fix this broken relationship, he has to. And he has, in a very real and historical event. Not only does this allow us to find peace and contentment in every aspect of our lives, and therefore enjoy them so much more, but this also gives us victory over death. Where now, o Death, is thy sting? Life was supposed to last forever, it was supposed to be good, it was supposed to be enjoyed. We cannot fully experience these things in this current fallen state, but the promise of a new heaven and new earth gives me assurance that it will be once more.

That is much longer than I intended, and I am afraid there are many rabbit trails that I did not need to follow, but I hope that this answered your question more than danced around it.

"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
-Maximus Decimus Meriduis, Gladiator

I am going to Marry you in my next life!!! kiss

Can I post this on my blog?? I'll give you "Rukusu" credit of course..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |