Diamant» Forums » General

Subject: leave/stay mechanic... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Siel Oren
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
am i the only one who find it completely tedious to vote with one of two cards on each cave tile that's revealed? i think it kills the little enjoyment that might have been from this game...

opinions maybe on how to improve it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Pitts
United States
Aloha
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The voting/reveal goes too fast in my group to become tedious.

Maybe you could start the game with 5 (or so) cards and skip to where players have to think a little more about what everyone is doing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just use the meeples provided as the bidding mechanism, everyone holds out their hands and if they reveal the meeple they stay, if they reveal an empty hand then they leave and put their meeple in the camp on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cphpitts wrote:
The voting/reveal goes too fast in my group to become tedious.

Agreed. Not sure how putting a card face down on the table and everybody revealing at the same time could become tedious unless somebody was holding up the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played it that cards continue to flip, without voting, until a Hazard/Trap or Artifact/Relic is revealed. Up until that point there is no reason for someone to want to leave as there is no possibility of losing treasures and/or no Relic to try and nab on the way out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
We've played it that cards continue to flip, without voting, until a Hazard/Trap or Artifact/Relic is revealed. Up until that point there is no reason for someone to want to leave as there is no possibility of losing treasures and/or no Relic to try and nab on the way out.

There's still a reason to vote in that instance. Say you have 4-5 cave cards revealed and they're all treasure cards. Depending on the numbers on the cards and player count you could have double-digits worth of rubies still on the cards. A player might choose to bail before seeing any traps or relics in order to grab those leftover gems before anybody else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
venrondua wrote:

There's still a reason to vote in that instance. Say you have 4-5 cave cards revealed and they're all treasure cards. Depending on the numbers on the cards and player count you could have double-digits worth of rubies still on the cards. A player might choose to bail before seeing any traps or relics in order to grab those leftover gems before anybody else.

That's right, you're absolutely correct. It's been a while but we will start voting if there are gems left over for folks to take on their way out. If all treasure is split with no left overs and there are no hazards or relics, we just keep flipping without voting.

It doesn't go on for long but it does save on slowing down the game by voting in situations where it's obvious people will continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We flip until there's something to lose. ie: until at least the first treasure/relic card comes out.

I'm not sure how anyone could find the stay/go decision to be tedious... it is LITERALLY the only decision you can make in the game. It's like saying Carcassone would be great if you didn't have to place a tile or meeple on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no issues with the decision it can be a nice bit of bluff and it doesn't take long, but we have the old edition of Diamant that came with meeples and I much prefer them to the cards that came in Incan Gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mathew
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly, but I have the 2016 UK version of Diamant and the rules indicate you only vote when a relic card shows up. Played recently and only voted on the relic cards. Am I totally playing this game incorrectly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
publisher
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjx25 wrote:
Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly, but I have the 2016 UK version of Diamant and the rules indicate you only vote when a relic card shows up. Played recently and only voted on the relic cards. Am I totally playing this game incorrectly?
surprise
Not at all! You should vote after each card. Could you quote the extract from the rulebook that made you believe otherwise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mathew
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mattintheweb wrote:
bjx25 wrote:
surprise
Not at all! You should vote after each card. Could you quote the extract from the rulebook that made you believe otherwise?

Sure, on Pages 6 & 7 the manual describes game play. Step 1 is "Advance Into The Cave" and describes the 3 cards:

Treasure Card: Basically a description of how to divide the gems and leave some behind, but no mention of the Players' Decision step.

Trap Card: "if a trap appears for the first time since you entered the cave, nothing happens and the expedition continues." I took this to also mean no Player's Decision because the expedition just continues.

Relic Card: "nothing happens, go directly to the Players' Decision phase". So took this to mean that once a relic card shows up you then initiate the players decision phase.

Step 2 then describes the players decision. "Before a new Expedition card is revealed" indicated to me that this action happened only after a Relic Card was discovered per the Step 1 instructions about the Relic Cards.

Also this image did not indicate that decisions were made after every single card so I assumed incorrectly that decisions were only made on Relic Cards.

I am so glad to be wrong!!!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
publisher
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the confusion. The round is supposed to be composed of the 2 steps, in order. Step 1, then Step 2, then End of the Round. I agree it could be more clear.

I think the important word here is directly.
"Go directly to the “Players’ Decision” Phase" means there's no action needed before going there.

Anyway, I hope you have fun now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.