Popular Tags: [View All]
Toby Mao
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambie, Cassadi, and Crystal discuss some games they've played recently, including A Feast for Odin, Karuba, and Betrayal at House on the Hill: Widow's Walk. They then talk about board gaming before the turn of the millennium. In this week's "Board Game Etymology" segment, Crystal discusses the origins of the word "board."

http://www.boardgameblitz.com/posts/31/episode-14-gaming-lik...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

You include Memory on the show notes but not The Omega Virus???? WHAT KIND OF MONSTER ARE YOU?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ambie
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Do you want to play a board gaaame?
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to only include games in the show notes if there was actually discussion about the game, since otherwise it's deceptive to say that we talked about it. So if just the name is mentioned, I usually don't put it in the show notes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ambierona wrote:
I try to only include games in the show notes if there was actually discussion about the game, since otherwise it's deceptive to say that we talked about it. So if just the name is mentioned, I usually don't put it in the show notes.

Well isn't that so reasonable of you. But word is out -- there's a copy of the Virus amongst you, so there will be a torrent of followers demanding a review.

You guys (uh, ladies) are right on the edge of what I look for in a boardgaming podcast -- a review of the "feel" you took away from a play instead of a description of a game. That's fundamentally what our hobby is about -- gaming, not games -- and the box on the table doesn't contribute in the form of a bullet list of features. It contributes by what it brings out of you when you play.

The basics of a game, "worker placement" or "race game" or the like are a must-have, but when podcasters start digging into the details of the rules they quickly lose the plot. There's no way for people listening at work or in their car to truly digest rules minutia anyway, even if you have their attention.

I think what's more important and more presentable in the audio format is the feel the game generates, how it affects players directly. Your thirty second review of El Grande in this episode is likely more valuable than most detailed reviews of the game, because you speak to the impression that you came away with after playing. You also expressed that the game was not in your wheelhouse, lending additional credibility to your opinion of the experience. That tells me something about El Grande. That tells me about the magnitude of the impact it had on you playing.

It also lets me size you up as well, because when I hear you agree with me on games we have in common I start to develop trust in your opinion over others. It's not that the others are wrong, they may just not be a match for me personally. I look for media from gamers that have the same tastes as I do. You can't find that out by hearing details about an Upkeep Phase or the three actions you're allowed to take on your turn.

For what it's worth.

Good episode.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crystal Pisano
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would absolutely be happy to do a full review of The Omega Virus. I'll actually do you one better, I'll make sure I have it with me at MeepleCon in March and the three of us can play it together! Maybe we can even stream it live on facebook or periscope! The sky's the limit!

I appreciate your feedback about how we approach our discussions of games. We definitely do try to do at least a quick overview of the rules of a game, simply so people know what kind of a game it is if they weren't already familiar with it, but we do definitely try to focus on our thoughts on the game. They aren't even really reviews per se, as some of the games we discuss we've only played once or twice, but it's nice to be able to talk about our experience with a game soon after it happens.

For me personally, I don't tend to play the same games over and over and over again, I like trying new things. I'll continue to try to focus on how a game felt for me and I hope that like-minded gamers will appreciate my take on games in general!

Thanks so much for listening and for your feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.