Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was 15 years old or so, my mother went on a health kick and bought the family margarine instead of butter. This was back in the days not so long before they dropped the regulations saying that you couldn't even put yellow coloring in the margarine.
So it was yellow, but unnaturally so, and (to me, at least) it tasted like Crisco shortening-- which essentially it was. Spreadable margarine was still in the future.

My mother gave me toast for breakfast one day, and I complained about the flavor of the margarine.
"Oh, you can't tell the difference! You just know it isn't butter so you think that it tastes different."

We didn't talk-back to our parents too often, so I grumbled and let it slide.
But soon, the rest of the family was demanding butter, too, so she ended up buying both. She made the mistake of trying to test me, one day:

"Here are two two pieces of toast. One with butter and one with margarine. You won't be able to tell which is which."

I took one bite of the first piece, chewed three times and said "margarine".
"You have to try both pieces, so you know for sure," she told me.
"No I don't-- this one is margarine. Right?"

It was, of course. She wasn't very happy, but I got butter when I wanted it from then on.

Oddly, my mom tried the same tactic when I tried to tell her that I didn't like the toast because the bread was old.
She claimed I couldn't tell two day-old bread from fresh, once it was toasted, and did the same "taste test" experiment.
Same result. One bite-- "This is the old bread." I was right again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I just found this out recently while talking to my mom...

Many, many years ago My mother was talking to my neighbor; she was complaining about the price of "Hellmann's" brand mayonnaise. She said she could only buy that brand because no one in the house (mostly me) would use another brand. The neighbor said buy a cheap brand and put it in the empty Hellmann's container when no one is around, "they will never know the difference". She took her advice this is what happened...

Me...:making a sandwich in the kitchen::just licked the knife clean that I used to spread mayo on my bread::shouting from the kitchen into the next room:..."MA! something's wrong with this mayo you just bought, I think it's gone bad"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We didn't have a lot when I was a kid and my brother and I drank a ton of milk. Mom tried to stretch the food dollars by buying powdered milk. It was horrible and we let her know it.

So she tried to mix the powdered junk with regular milk. It was horrible and we let her know it.

She finally gave up when Dad started complaining.

Thanks, Dad.cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how about when you cook with it?
I can taste the difference in some instances but I typically don't care (I grew up with parents favoring margarine) my wife on the other hand can tell when I use different oils greasing a pan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can still tell the difference between milk from a plastic jug and milk from a waxed cardboard carton. The plastic milk tastes plasticky to me.

I can also tell from one sip if the milk is 1%, 2%, or "whole".
I can tell you if it is skim milk just by looking at a (clear) glass of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar story. My mother was into health food. One night she made lasagna - one of my favorite meals. Who doesn't like it?

After about two bites, "Mom, the white part of this is wrong. It tastes like tofu or something." It wasn't until the next day that she admitted that yes, she substituted tofu for ricotta, thinking nobody would notice because neither has much flavor. Well, not much, but enough to ruin the lasagna. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
I can still tell the difference between milk from a plastic jug and milk from a waxed cardboard carton. The plastic milk tastes plasticky to me.

I can also tell from one sip if the milk is 1%, 2%, or "whole".
I can tell you if it is skim milk just by looking at a (clear) glass of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
how about when you cook with it?
I can taste the difference in some instances but I typically don't care (I grew up with parents favoring margarine) my wife on the other hand can tell when I use different oils greasing a pan.

You know what? For frying I can tell but it doesn't bother me near as much.
I usually use olive oil or vegetable oil to fry things, but I do use margarine for certain dishes instead.
But if you're supposed to taste the butter flavor, like in a cream/ butter sauce, then I definitely prefer butter.
I will bake with it, in cookies and cakes, and it doesn't change the flavor that much. However I can tell if chocolate chip cookies (for instance) have butter or margarine in them just by looking at them. Butter makes them thinner. Also they "taste" crunchier, while margarine makes them chewier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bottom line is that Moms are very creative. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Lola Cat 2010-2014
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:

Oddly, my mom tried the same tactic when I tried to tell her that I didn't like the toast because the bread was old.
She claimed I couldn't tell two day-old bread from fresh, once it was toasted, and did the same "taste test" experiment.
Same result. One bite-- "This is the old bread." I was right again.

Toast is, indeed, an abomination. I know that's an unpopular opinion, but in general, unless we're making garlic toast, I'd rather chew on Rudy's old socks than eat a piece of toast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't beat toasted freshly baked bread, smothered in real butter.

....now that's supper sorted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can tell the difference between margarine and butter.
I can say Saskatchewan without starting to stutter.

Actually I really can't tell the difference that much. I use Country Crock mostly. I like chewy cookies so I'll have to remember that.
And melted butter on warm bread? Heavenly. A perfect piece of toast is an amazing way to start the day, and I have made meals out of a fresh load of bread (as in, still hot and fresh from just being baked.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Kinda reminds me of the stuff you ate growing up that you thought was normal for everyone to eat. Like, at one time I presumed everybody ate braunschweiger sandwiches. At my house, when we didn't have bologna for bologna sandwiches, we ate braunschweiger sammiches:

Braunschweiger is kinda like if bologna were more like a spread, and tasted slightly spicy. It isn't liverwurst, but it's close. I was told later on that braunschweiger was "poor white people food." Perhaps if you grew up as a "poor white people" maybe you can relate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I grew up a margarine man but in my 30s became a butter boy (along with a lot of other food snobbery). However, I'm also very lazy, so if I had hot toast and you put both squeezable margarine and a cold stick of butter in front of me... I'd have to think about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Kinda reminds me of the stuff you ate growing up that you thought was normal for everyone to eat. Like, at one time I presumed everybody ate braunschweiger sandwiches. At my house, when we didn't have bologna for bologna sandwiches, we ate braunschweiger sammiches:

Braunschweiger is kinda like if bologna were more like a spread, and tasted slightly spicy. It isn't liverwurst, but it's close. I was told later on that braunschweiger was "poor white people food." Perhaps if you grew up as a "poor white people" maybe you can relate?

I think I just had a flashback about that stuff. It was one of Dad's favorite foods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

braunschweiger is WAY better than bologna and liverwurst!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:

Toast is, indeed, an abomination. I know that's an unpopular opinion, but in general, unless we're making garlic toast, I'd rather chew on Rudy's old socks than eat a piece of toast.

Then you're eating the wrong toast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Calling all Spielfrieks! It's time to vote for the Meeples Choice Awards at the Yahoo User Group!
mbmbmbmbmb
It astonishes me that there are people who can't tell the difference between butter and margarine. To me, it's always been very obvious. I've always greatly preferred butter.

The irony is that we now know that butter is much healthier than margarine. Not only was she giving you crappy food, Mabby, she was trying to poison you as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
AvidHunter wrote:
I just found this out recently while talking to my mom...

Many, many years ago My mother was talking to my neighbor; she was complaining about the price of "Hellmann's" brand mayonnaise. She said she could only buy that brand because no one in the house (mostly me) would use another brand. The neighbor said buy a cheap brand and put it in the empty Hellmann's container when no one is around, "they will never know the difference". She took her advice this is what happened...

Me...:making a sandwich in the kitchen::just licked the knife clean that I used to spread mayo on my bread::shouting from the kitchen into the next room:..."MA! something's wrong with this mayo you just bought, I think it's gone bad"

Amen brother. Hellmanns (known as Best Foods in the west) is mayonnaise. Anything else is known in this house as "plastic mayo".

When I order a sammich at a restaurant I grill the waitress about their mayonnaise. Doesn't have to be Best Foods, but if they use Miracle Whip I will walk out or get a salad.

Blind taste test? No problem.

Butter-margarine. Prefer margarine. Couldn't tell in a taste test, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Orangemoose wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:

I think I just had a flashback about that stuff. It was one of Dad's favorite foods.

With spicy mustard..... Mmmmmmm.

I grew up with Bologna. I got screwed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Koldfoot wrote:
With spicy mustard..... Mmmmmmm.

I grew up with Bologna. I got screwed.
shake NOT with them 'ring bologna'! I've NO 'idea' what "transpired" at YOUR 'Band Camp' then. surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Similar story. My mother was into health food. One night she made lasagna - one of my favorite meals. Who doesn't like it?

After about two bites, "Mom, the white part of this is wrong. It tastes like tofu or something." It wasn't until the next day that she admitted that yes, she substituted tofu for ricotta, thinking nobody would notice because neither has much flavor. Well, not much, but enough to ruin the lasagna. gulp

I tried that once. ONCE. It was excessively terrible and I threw the lasagna away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:

braunschweiger is WAY better than bologna and liverwurst!
"Caucasian soul food"

heartLOVE ITheart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

Yes, athough for us it was more Olive Loaf or whatever. I still can't eat American "cheese" in any way/shape/form anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sklar
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun fact, at one time margarine was legislated to be pink, to protect the dairy industry. The logic was that otherwise, people might not know the difference and be tricked into eating margarine instead of butter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.