Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I know this girl on facebook.
She is white.
She is dating an asian.
She is a liberal, wanted Bernie, but then wanted Hillary.
She also lives in the very blue washington state.

Someone asked her about her taking the last name of the Asian guy she is dating.
After Trump won she starts saying that she doesnt see how she can, or how she can have half white half asian kids running around.....because Trump won.
And one of her liberal friends is saying, that she will never leave the house unarmed again. Wtf, WHY?

What is the mindset here?
How do you expect your lives to change?
Why would this person THINK THIS WAY?
Is Trump going to send death squads around to shoot people?
No matter who was elected, I pretty much expected my life to remain PRETTY much the same. I may or may not have had a higher likelihood of losing my job, but day to day life, would APPEAR to be about the same.

How are people expecting our country to change in their day to day lives?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 quick examples

I have overheard some students talk about worries of having their family deported. I think this is a legitimate fear given that he did actually use the words deportation force back in 2015.

I know many people are worried that they will lose health insurance and become uninsurable because of pre-existing conditions when Obamacare is repealed. The fear of financial ruin because of medical bills is a big fear.
I think this is a legitimate fear as well given the promise to repeal obamacare replacing them with HSAs and no plan to deal with those who are uninsurable.

I am committed to keeping an open mind as I said earlier but these are legitimate fears that I would like to have some answers to as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff brown wrote:
2 quick examples

I have overheard some students talk about worries of having their family deported. I think this is a legitimate fear given that he did actually use the words deportation force back in 2015.

I know many people are worried that they will lose health insurance and become uninsurable because of pre-existing conditions when Obamacare is repealed. The fear of financial ruin because of medical bills is a big fear.
I think this is a legitimate fear as well given the promise to repeal obamacare replacing them with HSAs and no plan to deal with those who are uninsurable.

I am committed to keeping an open mind as I said earlier but these are legitimate fears that I would like to have some answers to as well.

Why would they be deported?
Are they here illegally?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course not, you're a white man, like me.

I'm from Britain. I'm White British from Yorkshire. My whole family is white British except for a Dutch Granny.

Last time I visited in October 2015, the Brexit, non-Brexit bile machine was cranking into full effect, just biliousness spewing from all angles. I'd spent the summer lounging on my balcony, biking about the islands out here on the West Coast so I had a nice sun tan and a big beard.

At a bus stop in Sheffield I said to a smartly-dressed, middle-aged woman: "Are these buses ever on time?"

"Go back to your own country if you don't like it" was her reply.

I was about 40 miles from where I'd grown up, my whole entire family had grown up, but I looked like a minority, so I was fair game for her xenophobia, and hate. And that's in England, where we at least pretend to be civil. I was bloody heartbroken. My mate Kushru consoled me; "That's my Saturday night mate."

Thinking this election will have zero effect on people who aren't you, because you've never experienced any problems is a bias called 'category error', otherwise know as 'privilege'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
jeff brown wrote:
2 quick examples

Are they hear illegally?

I don't know.

What do you think of my second example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Dash, you know these truths:

Some people like to be irrational.

People on social media tend to be even more irrational.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff brown wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
jeff brown wrote:
2 quick examples

Are they hear illegally?

I don't know.

I expect that "now that it is there" that somehow they are going to have to incorporate coverage for pre existing conditions into whatever plan they put forward to replace ACA.

It is one thing to NEVER give someone something, but entirely another to take something back from people that already have it.
Im sure there would be a pretty substantial backlash against the republicans if they took something away from people that they just got back.
They will probably consider this when they figure out what to do.
I dont see them going, FUCK these people.
And its not like TRUMP is going to write the legislation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Dash, you know these truths:

Some people like to be irrational.

People on social media tend to be even more irrational.

I see this kind of thing everywhere.
Are liberals irrational?
They tend to think more with their emotions right?
So is that a giant leap?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like the people fearing the Obama Death Camps.

Some people just need to freak out about something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

In Britain post-Brexit vote 'hate crimes' reported to the police increased by 58% in the month following the vote and even now are about 15% higher than in previous years month-on-month.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/brexit-hate-crime...

When you demonise people, some wingnuts think they've just been given a green light to be wingnuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
jeff brown wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
jeff brown wrote:
2 quick examples

Are they hear illegally?

I don't know.

I expect that "now that it is there" that somehow they are going to have to incorporate coverage for pre existing conditions into whatever plan they put forward to replace ACA.

It is one thing to NEVER give someone something, but entirely another to take something back from people that already have it.
Im sure there would be a pretty substantial backlash against the republicans if they took something away from people that they just got back.

I truly hope that this is the case, and will be watching to see.

Regardless I can understand why this is a fear a lot of people have don't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sry, kinda rambling this morning

TheDashi wrote:
She is white.
She is dating an asian.

Someone asked her about her taking the last name of the Asian guy she is dating.
After Trump won she starts saying that she doesnt see how she can, or how she can have half white half asian kids running around.....because Trump won.
And one of her liberal friends is saying, that she will never leave the house unarmed again. Wtf, WHY?

No matter who was elected, I pretty much expected my life to remain PRETTY much the same. I may or may not have had a higher likelihood of losing my job, but day to day life, would APPEAR to be about the same.

So to give some perspective on this Dashi, depending on where you live you might experience micro aggressions or outright hostility. This election in general has brought a lot of this shit to the surface and amplified whatever was there. People have already started taking to the results as if it's some sort of pivot point that the paradigm shift has occurred. Obviously nothing has changed but people's views of the world has. People are starting to see what lay beneath the surface and some of us are concerned. It's like the guy at the office you secretly wish would die in a fire but maintained absolute civility with, well that illusion has cracked, but I prefer to believe that as people living in a generally polite society, life will go on.

I think a lot of people had issues or concerns that Trump helped them to express because we've taken to such stupid extremes with political correctness or reducto ad hitler. The problem is that we've become quite polarized as have our fears.

People haven't changed overnight though, the masks might have slipped off for a bit, but the party isn't ending any time soon. The people taking action were about as likely to under any other stupid pretext. That said, I would be remiss in not expressing concern that this overall shift enables and twists more people to accepting certain ideas and acting upon them. We have 4 years for such sentiments to brew and fester, it might be just a phase or it might grow into some cancerous tumor that needs to be addressing but I do agree it's too early to tell. The tumors we have today though were already there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff brown wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
jeff brown wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
jeff brown wrote:
2 quick examples

Are they hear illegally?

I don't know.

Trump is not nearly the boogeymonster that the media has laid out for their liberal followers.
I think people are taking the thought that they wished Obama had unlimited power, and assuming trump will be able to do whatever the fuck he wants, and make laws, and not have the obstructionist republican party stopping him from doing stupid things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff brown wrote:
2 quick examples

Another one is that I have heard of at least one case where a hijab was pulled off a student's head.

I am sure there will be an uptick in homophobic and transphobic assaults. I am sure that there will be a rolling back of some of the more pro-LGBT stances and policies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

Trump is not nearly the boogeymonster that the media has laid out for their liberal followers.
I think people are taking the thought that they wished Obama had unlimited power, and assuming trump will be able to do whatever the fuck he wants, and make laws, and not have the obstructionist republican party stopping him from doing stupid things.

While I kind of agree with you that right now liberals are letting their imaginations get out of hand with Trump, it isn't Trump that people are afraid of, as I've explained above.

But then you aren't even slightly interested in engaging in hate crime numbers or other's explanation of there concerns and why they might differ are you? You just like running up thread after thread of your own echo chamber.

Man, I wish I was retired too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Trump is not nearly the boogeymonster that the media has laid out

I think he isn't as bad as his election rhetoric. He isn't a saint either though.

The problem isn't Trump himself, it is trying to put a lid on the people he has stirred up with his election rhetoric.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
draxx01 wrote:
Sry, kinda rambling this morning

TheDashi wrote:
She is white.
She is dating an asian.

So to give some perspective on this Dashi, depending on where you live you might experience micro aggressions or outright hostility. This election in general has brought a lot of this shit to the surface and amplified whatever was there. People have already started taking to the results as if it's some sort of pivot point that the paradigm shift has occurred. Obviously nothing has changed but people's views of the world has. People are starting to see what lay beneath the surface and some of us are concerned. It's like the guy at the office you secretly wish would die in a fire but maintained absolute civility with, well that illusion has cracked, but I prefer to believe that as people living in a generally polite society, life will go on.

I think a lot of people had issues or concerns that Trump helped them to express because we've taken to such stupid extremes with political correctness or reducto ad hitler. The problem is that we've become quite polarized as have our fears.

People haven't changed overnight though, the masks might have slipped off for a bit, but the party isn't ending any time soon. The people taking action were about as likely to under any other stupid pretext. That said, I would be remiss in not expressing concern that this overall shift enables and twists more people to accepting certain ideas and acting upon them. We have 4 years for such sentiments to brew and fester, it might be just a phase or it might grow into some cancerous tumor that needs to be addressing but I do agree it's too early to tell. The tumors we have today though were already there.

We have people executing cops today.
We have people assaulting trump voters today.
Have we got anything on people assaulting someone because they voted from Hillary?
Which side is most of the things to worry about coming from?
Obama set race relations back decades.
Yes, he had a huge hand in it.
Feel free to rant and rave if Trump presides over even a bigger racial divide that he plays some sort of part in, ie getting up and saying such and such race are degenerates.
I dont expect that to happen.
And I certainly do not expect people to follow along with it on a large scale.
There is always that random idiot on every side that will take what some other idiot says and follow up on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
jeff brown wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
jeff brown wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
jeff brown wrote:
2 quick examples

Are they hear illegally?

I don't know.

I don't think you have to believe that Trump is a boogeymonster or even be someone who watches the media to have this fear about Health Insurance. Before Obamacare if you had pre-existing conditions and weren't lucky enough to be on a group plan through work then you were uninsurable. My wife was this way for several months after we graduated college and before I found a job with insurance. When republicans talk about repealing Obamacare with absolutely no plan to take care of those with pre-existing conditions, then people are understandably worried. Surely you can see this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

While I kind of agree with you that right now liberals are letting their imaginations get out of hand with Trump, it isn't Trump that people are afraid of, as I've explained above.

But then you aren't even slightly interested in engaging in hate crime numbers or other's explanation of there concerns and why they might differ are you? You just like running up thread after thread of your own echo chamber.

Man, I wish I was retired too.

Yeah, I come here for the conservative echo chamber.
WOW, you figured me out.
Who is retired?
You think I am?

I am not slightly interested in talking about hate crime numbers?
Are you sure?
Did you ask and did I miss it?
Clearly you know more about what I think then even I know.
Why even talk if you know everything I am going to say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff brown wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
jeff brown wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
jeff brown wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
jeff brown wrote:
2 quick examples

Are they hear illegally?

I don't know.

I don't think you have to believe that Trump is a boogeymonster or even be someone who watches the media to have this fear about Health Insurance. Before Obamacare if you had pre-existing conditions and weren't lucky enough to be on a group plan through work then you were uninsurable. My wife was this way for several months after we graduated college and before I found a job with insurance. When republicans talk about repealing Obamacare with absolutely no plan to take care of those with pre-existing conditions, then people are understandably worried. Surely you can see this?

I refuse to believe, that trump and the republicans are going to just repeal it and replace it with nothing.
Now that many people have something, it would be disastrous to just take it away.
They will do something different.
Trump is not a dictator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

TheDashi wrote:
She is white.
She is dating an asian.

In the Pacific Northwest, there are whitopias (predominantly white enclaves or communities) that are sympathetic to white nationalism.

White nationalists do not believe in mixed marriages or having sex with a person of another race because they believe that biracial offspring constitute miscegenation.

It's obvious that since the election of Trump as President that white nationalists in that person's area are more openly wearing their white-nationalist beliefs on their sleeves, so to speak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico mcflico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Trump is not nearly the boogeymonster that the media has laid out

I think he isn't as bad as his election rhetoric. He isn't a saint either though.

The problem isn't Trump himself, it is trying to put a lid on the people he has stirred up with his election rhetoric.

Like this guy, for example
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
A picture from Harlow, England.

This is a memorial to a Polish man killed in an unprovoked attack against him in August of this year - post-Brexit in other words.

I'm as white as they come and straight. It is white (and straight) privilege to know that I am very unlikely to be attacked by the asshat neo-nazi white supremacists who feel emboldened by Trump's rhetoric and his embrace of the alt-right KKK elements of American society. Mandatory disclaimer: no, not all Trump voters were racist (or sexist). But pretty much all racists who voted, voted for Trump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Dash, the left has done a lot of reflection about how elites paid too little attention to the concerns of the non-college white voter. This may be the first attempt I've seen to try and reverse that, and see the concerns those elites have. Thank you for that.

Part of this is just the effect of a campaign in which negative news gets attention. When I think about what I know about Trump, there's a litany of ways he seems like a vindictive, egomaniacal incompetent, most of which are founded on a small number of relatively low-context quotations. So when I think about what Trump voters wanted, it takes effort not to imagine them choosing my mental image of him. I imagine you think about Clinton voters and think about what you believe about her, and just can't understand how we could possibly want THAT. Well, we don't, we just see radically different media about her than you do, so we have different beliefs about what that vote means.

Trump has been unusually frequently connected to some really vile groups in the media we've seen. He got endorsements from the KKK and David Duke, repeatedly borrowed images and rhetoric from openly white supremacist organizations, and encouraged his supporters to assault those with whom they disagree. Maybe that's not a big theme in the media you've consumed, but wherever people want to hear that, it is. So liberals who want to see him defeated and racists who want license for their violent impulses have been encouraged to take this view of the meaning of a Trump presidency.

And, has already been mentioned, nativist rhetoric in Britain and France has resulted in a marked increase in hate crimes recently. We're not looking back on Jim Crow or resistance to the civil rights movement and holding you responsible for that stuff still, we're talking about trends we've seen in the past five years in modern democracies. And many of us have seen chilling examples of it in our own towns already. The street with the church where my kids went to preschool had a gay pride flag burned LAST NIGHT. And I'm in a liberal suburb of a liberal city in a liberal state.

So, yeah, there's going to be some attempts to comfort ourselves by seeing Trump voters negatively, and we'll share the news that fits that narrative to make ourselves feel better about once again winning the popular vote and yet having the Republican become president. But there is a kernel of truth to it--Trump's rhetoric does actually have an effect on hate crimes, and it's not the effect you'd hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
Dash, the left has done a lot of reflection about how elites paid too little attention to the concerns of the non-college white voter. This may be the first attempt I've seen to try and reverse that, and see the concerns those elites have. Thank you for that.

Part of this is just the effect of a campaign in which negative news gets attention. When I think about what I know about Trump, there's a litany of ways he seems like a vindictive, egomaniacal incompetent, most of which are founded on a small number of relatively low-context quotations. So when I think about what Trump voters wanted, it takes effort not to imagine them choosing my mental image of him. I imagine you think about Clinton voters and think about what you believe about her, and just can't understand how we could possibly want THAT. Well, we don't, we just see radically different media about her than you do, so we have different beliefs about what that vote means.

Trump has been unusually frequently connected to some really vile groups in the media we've seen. He got endorsements from the KKK and David Duke, repeatedly borrowed images and rhetoric from openly white supremacist organizations, and encouraged his supporters to assault those with whom they disagree. Maybe that's not a big theme in the media you've consumed, but wherever people want to hear that, it is. So liberals who want to see him defeated and racists who want license for their violent impulses have been encouraged to take this view of the meaning of a Trump presidency.

And, has already been mentioned, nativist rhetoric in Britain and France has resulted in a marked increase in hate crimes recently. We're not looking back on Jim Crow or resistance to the civil rights movement and holding you responsible for that stuff still, we're talking about trends we've seen in the past five years in modern democracies. And many of us have seen chilling examples of it in our own towns already. The street with the church where my kids went to preschool had a gay pride flag burned LAST NIGHT. And I'm in a liberal suburb of a liberal city in a liberal state.

So, yeah, there's going to be some attempts to comfort ourselves by seeing Trump voters negatively, and we'll share the news that fits that narrative to make ourselves feel better about once again winning the popular vote and yet having the Republican become president. But there is a kernel of truth to it--Trump's rhetoric does actually have an effect on hate crimes, and it's not the effect you'd hope.

Just like Obama's and the DOJ's rhetoric had some effect on hate crimes going the other way. There is a lot of hate in America right now and it isn't fair to say it is all coming from the right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.