Jay Volk
United States
Richfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.mortificationofspin.org/
mbmbmbmbmb
In a four player game, is the board seeded with 8 black barrels and the tech track seeded with 1 - 4 black barrels and then the remainder (32-8-x) are put into the bag? Or is the board seeded and then 32 black barrels (and 4 yellow and 4 red) are placed in the bag?

During the game, Local Connections are only used for the Drill action (their rules are awkwardly placed after the Ship action rules). At Peak Oil - do they continue to be only for Drill actions? Or do the local connections somehow extend to the other actions as well?

I assume that, as PR crises happen in the Peak Oil phase, some Agents will move on the track pushing others off - understanding that Whitewash is not an option at this time.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Please clarify which version of the rules you are referring to.

Regardless of version, Local Connections have only been used for the Ship action, never for the Drill or any other action. This is why they had been placed awkwardly after the Ship action rules. Sorry if that was not clear, blame our non-nativeness.

The number of barrels that end up in the bag after seeding should always be a function of the exact order of items in the setup list. In V0.85, for example, preparing Barrels for the bag happens before seeding the board, so in this case the number of Barrels remaining in the bag would be (initial number) minus (Barrels used to seed). In newer versions, seeding happens before preparing the bag, in these the number of Barrels in the bag is not connected to the number of Barrels seeded to the board.

Unsure which PR Crisis track you are referring to. The one from V0.85 is a personal track, so no Agents from other players can end up on it. The later version is an open-to-all bump track, in which case this could happen. Either way, I do not fully understand your question there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Volk
United States
Richfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.mortificationofspin.org/
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your response.

I'm referring to the rules I received with the print and play from 2 Tomatoes - they are 1.01

I'm going to attempt to play the game this weekend using those rules. Please let me know if that's not a good idea.

Local connections, in the 1.01 rules, refers to the "Drill" action three times, and never to the "Ship" action. Now that I'm typing it, it makes perfect sense that the Local Connections would be for the Ship action, since you have Agents stationed in the Oil Field, and Oil Field cards would provide additional support. Thanks for that clarification. I will report this to the rules board!

I believe I'm going to stick with seeding the board with the v0.85 explanation you provided. The game comes with 35 black barrels, so it wouldn't make sense in a 5 player game to have 35 in the bag and another 10+ on the board. If this unnecessarily shortens the game, I'll just play with more barrels next time. It's a PnP after all!

I am looking at the latest edition of the game, so I'm working with the Bump track and will play accordingly.

Thanks for creating an interesting game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Cool, have fun! Thanks for playing our interesting game!

No, the 1.01 rule set is fine, I only wanted to make sure that I know what exactly your questions are.

Looking at that now (unless some versioning disaster struck), you are absolutely correct, the numbers for black Barrels in that setup section are outdated (and generally a bit high), and do not add up with the components section at all. Your plan sounds fine, you should end up with roughly 22 black Barrels in the bag, we are using 25 for 5 players in the current version.

And you are correct about the Local Connections being more than a bit misleading there. They should not reference the "Drill" action, but the "Ship" action.

Agents that are "pushed off" the PR Crisis track during Peak Oil indeed return to their owners and do not score negative VPs. This just represents how the public loses interest once new Crises by other oil companies happen in the worldwide news, and older Crises are forgotten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.