Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some clarifications needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
(1) When your movement ends because you enter a new system, I presume that means movement/command, not movement/turn. In other words, a Colony Fleet can discover a new system, not colonize, and expend two more commands to discover another system, all in the same turn.

(2) What does a "roll of doubles" mean in a game with one die, which may be thrown 15 times in one battle?

(3) If you have a Science Fleet (of 4 ships) sitting on a Phenomenon, and you roll and lose a ship, can the Fleet still brave the hazard another time in the same turn?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
whardy wrote:
(1) When your movement ends because you enter a new system, I presume that means movement/command, not movement/turn. In other words, a Colony Fleet can discover a new system, not colonize, and expend two more commands to discover another system, all in the same turn.

(2) What does a "roll of doubles" mean in a game with one die, which may be thrown 15 times in one battle?

(3) If you have a Science Fleet (of 4 ships) sitting on a Phenomenon, and you roll and lose a ship, can the Fleet still brave the hazard another time in the same turn?

Thanks

1 and 3 are "yes".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are you seeing (2)?

With (3) if any ship survives you get the research token. So the Science Fleet would get the token even if failing. (The risk is eventually going under 3 ships and losing the fleet.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
Where are you seeing (2)?

There are some techs that let you turn pairs of 1s into something, I forget the details. I assume that, if you need to roll more than 10 dice, you need to just keep track of those pairs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:

With (3) if any ship survives you get the research token. So the Science Fleet would get the token even if failing. (The risk is eventually going under 3 ships and losing the fleet.)

Oh, right. Good point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) correct

2) you roll the dice for all your ships at once ie for 10 ships you roll 10 dice, not 10 times 1 die. any doubles that appear on these dice are counted if an ability asks for it.

3) as long as any ship survives you take the research token, there is no use to brave the hazard again (the research token is only replaced at the end of the turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Perhaps I should clarify...
If the Science Fleet enters the phenomenon, only one ship braves the hazard. If it fails, and is removed, you shouldn't get the Research Token because the other ships survived - they weren't part of the test. My question was whether you can, without cost, do it again the same turn, risking your 3rd ship (and the Fleet, as it were). If you lost that one, it would cost you Commands to continue with the remaining two. The alternative (which I don't play) is that the Fleet, as a Fleet, only gets one free shot at the hazard each turn. (I hope that's clear!)
The "doubles roll" is on one of the Klingon advancement cards, and maybe elsewhere; I haven't checked them all. It sounds like something from Monopoly, and really doesn't make much sense in this game. I've decided to remove any such cards from the game, but I thought it might be relevant to something from one of the expansions (perhaps like that "Tholians may disregard this").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
whardy wrote:
If the Science Fleet enters the phenomenon, only one ship braves the hazard. If it fails, and is removed, you shouldn't get the Research Token because the other ships survived -

Except that you do get the research token because those are the rules...

Risking only one ship in order to claim the token is the entire point of a science fleet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
whardy wrote:
If the Science Fleet enters the phenomenon, only one ship braves the hazard. If it fails, and is removed, you shouldn't get the Research Token because the other ships survived - they weren't part of the test.

This is the core of your misunderstanding. If any ships survive, regardless of whether or not they had to roll, you get the research token. Even if you lose one of the ships, the others are still present and still survived. It's worth noting that the Science Fleet's text says that the "fleet," not "a ship", braves the hazard, but you only roll for one ship. That means that even ships that didn't roll still braved the hazard and survived.

whardy wrote:
The "doubles roll" is on one of the Klingon advancement cards, and maybe elsewhere; I haven't checked them all. It sounds like something from Monopoly, and really doesn't make much sense in this game.

I believe I know which tech you're referring to, which allows you to treat "a roll of doubles as a hit" during combat. In that case, every pair of results (i.e., two results of 1, two results of 2, etc) can be used as a hit, even if those numbers don't normally score hits. If you're only rolling one die (because, for instance, you only have one ship in the fight), you cannot benefit from this advancement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Thanks. I accept the argument re the Science Fleet, given the wording, and appreciate the explanation. The doubles thing just opens a can of worms, though. It seems like an insane gift when you are rolling 17 times in one attack (as I did this morning), and also raises the problem with repeated rolling of 1s. I think the game is better without it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I mean, it's your game, so do what you want, but be warned that this is one of the stronger tech cards in faction that doesn't have very many techs that are worthwhile. You should consider giving the Klingons something to compensate for losing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
whardy wrote:
The doubles thing just opens a can of worms, though. It seems like an insane gift when you are rolling 17 times in one attack (as I did this morning), and also raises the problem with repeated rolling of 1s. I think the game is better without it.

It says "you may treat rolls of doubles as a hit". I would think this means that you can't treat them as hits individually and combine them to make a third hit. That would be completely insane. So this seems to be a card that helps you less and less as your weapons level increases.

I could be wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
Just gonna hijack this thread to ask a question if you don't mind.....

I have a ship in the final sector of a space lane, adjacent to a system that contains a rival ship, and another ship in the final sector of another space lane connected to the same system. One ship attacks, and the other participates under the same command. Now, if I'm victorious, the rules state that I may move 'some or all my ships' in a tactical manoeuvre into the system. Does that include the 'supporting' ship? Or just the one that initiated the battle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DaveSumm wrote:

I have a ship in the final sector of a space lane, adjacent to a system that contains a rival ship, and another ship in the final sector of another space lane connected to the same system. One ship attacks, and the other participates under the same command. Now, if I'm victorious, the rules state that I may move 'some or all my ships' in a tactical manoeuvre into the system. Does that include the 'supporting' ship? Or just the one that initiated the battle?

All ships may move. Each group of ships does their own movement when attacking from multiple sectors, following the rules for tactical movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne Sönnichsen
msg tools
DaveSumm wrote:

I have to hijack too.
We had some issues with space battles and weren't sure whether a colonised planet without ships in orbit would prevent a passing enemy fleet from... well... passing.
Issue was that the Klingons rushed the Romulans and skipped the adjacent planet next to Romulus. So, we let the Klingon pass and he ultimately won. The Rulebook states that only ships hinder the movement of enemy ships, right?

So, to counter such an passing by it would be a suitable strategy to place a single ship in that adjacent sector so that enemy fleets couldn't pass that system or at least to force him so spend loads of command getting to its destination in order to stall some time? Would a space lane full of ships force the enemy to clear each each one of it to attack the next system?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Arneman wrote:
The Rulebook states that only ships hinder the movement of enemy ships, right?

Right

Arneman wrote:
Would a space lane full of ships force the enemy to clear each each one of it to attack the next system?

Yup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
whardy wrote:
The doubles thing just opens a can of worms, though. It seems like an insane gift when you are rolling 17 times in one attack (as I did this morning), and also raises the problem with repeated rolling of 1s. I think the game is better without it.

It says "you may treat rolls of doubles as a hit". I would think this means that you can't treat them as hits individually and combine them to make a third hit. That would be completely insane. So this seems to be a card that helps you less and less as your weapons level increases.

I could be wrong...

The card actually reads "In Space Battles, failed To Hit Rolls of doubles destroy one enemy Ship."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Frank Overwood wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
whardy wrote:

I could be wrong...

The card actually reads "In Space Battles, failed To Hit Rolls of doubles destroy one enemy Ship."

Ah...ok. Thanks. So that pretty much wraps it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:

Arneman wrote:
Would a space lane full of ships force the enemy to clear each each one of it to attack the next system?

Yup.

Unless they are Romulans who have upgraded their cloaking tech. cool

And the Federation hasn't researched the counter to Romulan cloacking tech. coolcool

(Sorry. I don't have the exact Advancement cards in front of me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne Sönnichsen
msg tools
Thanks both of you for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.