Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Edmunds
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My family has fallen in love with Dragon's Gold. We love the negotiation, dragons, cards, secrecy, and more. Not so much those plastic gems. I am thinking of changing those out for some cubes or wooden discs. Without perfect, bright light - and even then we had to mark the gold - there is no way to tell many of the pieces apart.

But otherwise, a fun, enjoyable game.

That said, I have found that I cannot lose at this game. My wife says it is because my 11 year old son and I bully her. That is not true, of course. But she most certainly is missing a key piece of the negotiating. The "split". Of course when you ask for the world, you will not get it. And that is what my wife kinda does. She starts out asking for too much, then so not to risk spoiling the loot, she lets my son or I split and pick and sell her on her share. Which leaves her with 2 choices: take the "fair" deal or get nothing.

That "fair" deal is never fair. It is always slightly better for me (or my son...he has this figured out with his mom as well) but never terrible for mom. So she takes it and feels bullied.

Again, the solution is for her to be better at splitting. But I am never going to tell her that. I enjoy winning.

The other thing we love are the magical object cards. They make the game so much more fun in so many different ways. We would like to get more of those into the game.

So, the 2 house rules:

1. Instead of spoiling all the loot, we spoil a part of the loot only and then go for the lowest split, highest pick sort out. This only when we were unable to negotiate the entire lot. We don't want to go this variant for all the loot, and we don't enjoy losing a large lot to spoiling either. Not to mention, there are always a couple lots that go auto-spoil. Any with the Black Diamond, for one.

2. When thieving, if you grab a red AND you have the Wizard face up in front of you, you get a card. This can only happen on the blind steal as the Wizard would have to be on the dragon for an assisted steal.

The next game we play we will try out these house rules. Any thoughts or suggestions to improve these rules?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Again, the solution is for her to be better at splitting. But I am never going to tell her that. I enjoy winning.

Just a word of caution: Your wife is making it clear that she does not enjoy the interactions of this game. (A frequent criticism of this game is that it can get very mean, so she's not alone in her feelings about it.) Ignoring her concerns and continuing your winning streak may ultimately result in her refusing to play and then you all lose because you won't be playing the game.

Sharing your strategy will increase the likelihood Dragon's Gold will continue to be played and will increase your enjoyment as you have to learn new and better strategies.

Happy Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Robbins
United States
Elgin
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a huge fan of the first one as the threat of spoilage is one of the best parts of the game imho. That said it might work for your group.

I do like the second one though... I might try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.