Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Need help with a thrift store purchase decision rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Kerr
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,
I've never played X-Wing, and I'm not sure if it's a game I'd even want or get into, but I was at my local thrift store yesterday and they had what APPEARED to be two base sets on sale for $15 each. As you might expect with a thrift store that doesn't know what they have, it looked like one box was full of chits and tokens and maybe the other had the ships, and they were meant to be sold together. Hard to say if it was just the two base sets or if there were extra expansions thrown in or what. I looked through one box and it was overstuffed with tokens and bits, but I didn't see the ships. The other box was taped so I wasn't able to search it.

My question is, does it sound like $30 is a good price to take the chance on these two boxes? I could see counting it out and realizing I have a ton of great X-Wing stuff including expansions and what not, or I could see coming up with just a box full of parts and no ships, making it unplayable. If it is incomplete, is there a market for parts/trading on this game?

What do people think, is this worth the $30 risk?

Of course if someone gets there before me today, this would all be for naught.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
If everything is there for both core sets, that's a steal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A base set is 1 xwing and 2 tie fighters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
I would ask them to open up the other box to ensure there are ships

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kerr
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick responses guys, that's a great idea. I'll head back after work today and see if I can take a more detailed look. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love getting stuff at thrift / discount stores! That being said, the Force Awakens core set was just recently on sale online for $15, and that's brand new. It's back to the $29.99 price now, but you could potentially see more sales as the end of the year shopping season gets underway.

If the one box is full of tokens, there may be more than just six ships. If it's both core sets, you should have - at minimum - two X-Wings and four TIE Fighters. If I were just getting started I would consider that a decent deal. It would be a great deal if there are more than six ships.

The risk you run is that there might be "important" bits or cards missing. I doubt you want to sit there and inventory everything, but a site that does a really good job of showing what comes in each package is here:

http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/Products

Click on any product and it gives you an inventory, right down to what letter appears on the target lock tokens...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kerr
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is super helpful, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let us know what you end up getting! Could be a bunch of other ships tossed inside the boxes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kerr
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so here's what happened.

I returned to the thrift store after work last night, and was pleased to see that the boxes were still there. I asked to inspect them again (they're being kept behind the counter in the special "boutique" section, which basically means that coupons won't apply to them) and started digging into both boxes. I can confirm that there was definitely expansion content in there as I saw documentation for B-Wings and A-Wings and probably others as well... BUT--

Not a ship in sight.

So what must have happened is whoever donated their collection had everything separated out into separate boxes and maybe someone already bought the box with the ships thinking they were just cool Star Wars toys, or maybe the person who donated the games kept the ships for themselves (most of the cardboard hadn't been punched). Either way, I was hugely disappointed.

I scanned around the entire store to see if they managed to get bagged up and placed in the toy section or somewhere else but no luck. I did, however, find a few bags with even more unpunched cardboard chits from a couple expansions. Crazy! This is my regular store, so I'll definitely keep an eye out for the ships but overall it looks like a huge letdown. There's not much point in paying $30 for just cardboard and cards that people probably don't need in the trade market that badly, I figure, so pretty much a total bust.

Oh well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cry

That's sad... there's also not much point of them trying to sell it for more than like $5-10, I feel... Anyone who just randomly buys it as a gift or something will be disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paradox Games
msg tools
Someone commented about good finds at thrift shops. My local one had Settles Of Catan: Traders & Barbarians for $3!!!!!!!

They also had a 5-6 player expansion for $2.

I had no money then but returned two days later and it was gone. The expansion was still there and it was unpunched so I bought this for the $2 even though I don't have a use for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.