Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning" - Dr. Reiner Knizia
mbmbmbmbmb
Something has occurred to me after reading the "Unsanintary Maneuver" therad.

Hungary doesn't fall unless the stated conditions are met at the end of a field battle or assault, right? So say the Ottoman already has Belgrade and you play Unsanintary Camp on Buda, reduing it to three units. The Ottoman has only four units left after taking Belgrade and decides to try his luck; he assaults Buda with four units. Each side rolls four dice (assuming Sulieman is conducting the assault).

Say the Ottoman rolls no hits but the Hungarians roll four hits. The Ottoman is totally wiped out and inflicts no casualties on Hungary - but Hungary falls, because it's the end of an assault and all the conditions are met!

Buda goes to the Hapsburg rather than the Ottoman, of course, but it's still funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. You can get the same effect without Unsanitary Camp. All thats needed is for the Hungarians in the battle of Buda to take 2 losses (enough to reduce them to 4 or less troops on the whole board) but still win the battle. Given they are defending they only need to roll 2 hits to accompolish this. The Ottomans must fall back, and Buda goes to the Hapsburgs.

Unfortunately for Hapsburg players this almost never happens. In particular, wise Ottoman players keep Janissaries in reserve to supply an addtiional 5 dice if it looks like happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning" - Dr. Reiner Knizia
mbmbmbmbmb
I say it's funnier my way, because Hungary can fall even without taking any casualties.

Nyahhhh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right but Ottomans still win war and get 2vp, right? Defintitely a loophole.

Jason

Greg Forster wrote:
Something has occurred to me after reading the "Unsanintary Maneuver" therad.

Hungary doesn't fall unless the stated conditions are met at the end of a field battle or assault, right? So say the Ottoman already has Belgrade and you play Unsanintary Camp on Buda, reduing it to three units. The Ottoman has only four units left after taking Belgrade and decides to try his luck; he assaults Buda with four units. Each side rolls four dice (assuming Sulieman is conducting the assault).

Say the Ottoman rolls no hits but the Hungarians roll four hits. The Ottoman is totally wiped out and inflicts no casualties on Hungary - but Hungary falls, because it's the end of an assault and all the conditions are met!

Buda goes to the Hapsburg rather than the Ottoman, of course, but it's still funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls