Popular Tags: [View All]
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
So I've been an eBay seller since the 90's, and over the years I've noticed that leaving feedback was once somewhat integral to the whole transaction, but these days as a seller I get less feedback now than ever. No one complains, my star ratings are still excellent, I'm rocking the whole Power-Seller, Top-Rated-Seller badges, but for some reason (especially in the past few years) I only get feedback for maybe 30-40% of my transactions.

Back in the day (*puts on old-man glasses and hikes up trousers*) feedback was kind of the primary means of "closing the deal." If the buyer leaves the seller feedback then that is sort of the "all clear" for the seller that the transaction has been completed successfully. I realize that eBay in the last decade has basically become almost completely pro-buyer, with sellers being treated somewhere below dog-shit on the scale of necessary evils, therefore leaving fb to buyers seems less useful than ever (not that I don't, I'm just saying that's seemingly the least-useful fb.) So call me old-fashioned (or just old) but when i buy on eBay I'm almost always leaving fb and typically do so within a day or so of receiving product.

So either buyers just don't care anymore, or the stuff I sell is terribly disappointing. Who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy comic books on eBay and I always leave feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it might be more fair to say that users don't care anymore. I remember back 10ish years ago is when my dad stopped using ebay when they started adding more "features". It became too much of an investment to put things up for how little he used it. These changes were to make ebay more of a store if I remember right. So it gave security to all which is nice but then why do we need a rating? Why do I need to know opinions on your reliability if reliability is just a fact?
[my data's a bit old, I stopped using ebay around the same time]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
I only leave feedback when buying hula hoops.

They are feedback loops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
fightcitymayor wrote:
So I've been an eBay seller since the 90's, and over the years I've noticed that leaving feedback was once somewhat integral to the whole transaction, but these days as a seller I get less feedback now than ever. No one complains, my star ratings are still excellent, I'm rocking the whole Power-Seller, Top-Rated-Seller badges, but for some reason (especially in the past few years) I only get feedback for maybe 30-40% of my transactions.

Back in the day (*puts on old-man glasses and hikes up trousers*) feedback was kind of the primary means of "closing the deal." If the buyer leaves the seller feedback then that is sort of the "all clear" for the seller that the transaction has been completed successfully. I realize that eBay in the last decade has basically become almost completely pro-buyer, with sellers being treated somewhere below dog-shit on the scale of necessary evils, therefore leaving fb to buyers seems less useful than ever (not that I don't, I'm just saying that's seemingly the least-useful fb.) So call me old-fashioned (or just old) but when i buy on eBay I'm almost always leaving fb and typically do so within a day or so of receiving product.

So either buyers just don't care anymore, or the stuff I sell is terribly disappointing. Who knows.

I always leave feedback, but I have noticed a few sellers that don't leave feedback (the last one I think was because they fucked up what they sent me and knew it, and so were just waiting to see what feedback I left).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Waller
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been an eBay seller since 1998 - I have never ever sollicited feedback as a seller and I have always left feedback when I was a seller. My numbers are FB left (as a seller) 2935 FB received (as a seller) 2063.

There is a very slight decline in FB people leave but not materially. Before it just happened much more that if you bought something you would be actively and sometimes repeatedly sollicited to leave FB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Waller
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Don't eBay, myself.

"They" say you're supposed to withhold your feedback in case you need to expose a seller who tries to shaft you after the sale. Sold hot items or some such.

*rolls eyes* That has happened to you how often exaxtly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s quinn
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a buyer, i always leave feedback as soon as i receive the item. As a seller if someone does not leave feedback promptly after receiving my item, i hound them. I want the positive transactions. I know i look at others ratings as a potential buyer and hope they do the same for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I admit, I usually am slow leaving feedback on ebay. I usually go in every now and again and add feedback all at once.

Plus, eBay makes it so hard to leave negative feedback, so I find what's the use. What does it prove?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
I always leave feedback, but many sellers don't understand how long it takes to post items to Australia. I regularly get "please close the deal and leave feedback" messages after 2-3 weeks. Delivery often takes over a month (the record is 13 weeks, surface mail from Ukraine that went via China).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
MWChapel wrote:
I admit, I usually am slow leaving feedback on ebay. I usually go in every now and again and add feedback all at once.

Plus, eBay makes it so hard to leave negative feedback, so I find what's the use. What does it prove?

Does it? I left negative feedback last month (the fuck-up I mentioned above), and apart from an "are you sure you want to do this" screen, that was it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maui Chris
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Valentino Rossi Fan
badge
get this ball
mbmbmbmbmb
as a seller, i leave feedback as soon as payment is received & about 90% of the time get positive feedback when the buyer receives it.

as a buyer, if the seller didn't give me positive feedback for paying BEFORE i receive delivery, then i won't leave positive feedback, but in the rare case it's needed, i will still leave negative/neutral feedback if appropriate

When are you leaving feedback for the buyer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Koldfoot wrote:
I used eBay a long time ago.

Ordered the game. Got the game. No problem.

I left neutral feedback. Nothing amazing happened. I got what was advertised. It wasn't thrilling or bad.

I learned this is a faux pas.

The seller was concerned.

Of course he was. You got what you bought without issue - why would you not leave positive feedback, which means just that? Positive feedback isn't "he provided some amazing service over and above what you bought", it is "he transacted in the expected reliable manner".

For many buyers, negative feedback of any non-tiny amount (say 1% or less) is an automatic reason to avoid. For a lot of those people, negative feedback is treated the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NIck StarFox Weekend Winner
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
@ Koldfoot and others who feel "Why bother?"

angry

I realize this thread is dated back to November, 2016..., but the discussion of feedback has been an ongoing thing for years and is still relevant.

I admit.....I bought (less than 10 items if that) on eBay and never left feedback for the seller. I was naive about the whole process, as well as how it affected the seller emotionally / mentally & in sales. I've been a member since 2007, but did not shop all that much...addicted to WoW and worked a lot.

I also had good luck selling on Craigslist and local area forums (facebook wasn't around then). Our family had rummage sales now and then..so I'd try to sell my stuff..., BUT NOT FOR $2. Sorry, I have higher standards and our 'rummage sales' were dubbed by a customer as.."This is like a Target store or Kohl's." Meaning. We had items in GOOD, CLEAN, ETC.. shape & PRESENTED WELL... not cluttered, ripped, broke ass piles of shit stained clothing. They were also priced affordably & appropriately. (not too high to deter, but as to get a better group of buyers; not too low to make buyers have a sense of "poor value item / not taken cared for / no sense of ownership or gratification from buying").

I needed money and had stuff to sell, Craigslist wasn't as busy..so I decided to learn how to sell on eBay..started December 2013.... I was pretty busy selling and I was happy with what they sold for. Some I would have priced more, but Live and Learn....I also messed up with weight of package, more times than I can remember. (causing a lower net for me).

I found out that..."New Seller Quota Requirements to become a trusted seller" are as follows: $250 in sales; 25 Separate sales; AND 90 DAYS from the date of your FIRST sale......YOU MUST MEET these requirements before FUNDS FROM SALE(S) ARE IMMEDIATELY AVAILABLE TO THE SELLER / YOU. EXAMPLE: Buyer buys your item....You CAN'T USE $ YET UNTIL THE ITEM HAS BEEN "DELIVERED" PLUS 2 DAYS DOMESTIC!!!. Meaning...I don't get the funds right away until 2 days AFTER confirming delivery...UP TO 21 DAYS FOR INTERNATIONAL!! I met the 2 quotas 25 / 250 very fast, but still had to wait 90 days until funds were immediately available. I was using funds from previous sale to ship the next item. Pretty BS if you ask me.

I also spent a LOT of time on my "seller notes / disclaimer" etc..., but I enjoyed doing it and what it has come to.

Regarding selling on eBay & my account.....I have been the Judge, Jury, & Executioner.....Meaning I decide what to sell, I take the pictures, I describe it, I weigh it, I price it, I answer the questions, I review the offers, I print the labels, I pack the item, I order free supplies from USPS (given you pay for the service)or buy document envelopes, I take them to the PO and I follow up with the buyer (but not to hassle) & I also pay the seller FEES that are associated with selling on eBay. Other sellers have to deal with drop ship warehouses, over seas warehouses, the list goes on and on..including things that are unbeknownst to me and reasons no one has thought of yet.

I have had issues with buyers in the past, but nothing worth mentioning.

Feedback: +, N, - ......Here are scenarios that fit these 'ratings'..
(Buyer leaves +): Great transaction, fast shipment, item was exactly as described. Wonderful!
(" leaves Neutral): Bobblehead arrived with neck broke, fixed with glue. Pack better Ty. (OR) Item broke, seller refunded me.
(" leaves Negative): Item arrived broke, seller blames me, won't refund, not what I ordered. (I'll let you imagine what buyers can say.)

Another issue is the "I have 10,000 FB; 2k from this month..of which 200 are negative......and my percentage is STILL 98.9%." WHEREAS...someone like me who has 175 FB with 1 negative in the past 12 months dropped me to 94.7% and have busted my ass to get it back up and is still at 96.4%. I did not deserve that negative by the way. The buyer was a complete ignorant & had very very poor etiquette through his messages.

Feedback allows the seller to move on so there are no issues with the item. It also only takes 1 minute IF THAT...Log in> Leave Feedback for 5+ items> Thank you! (Press Th..and it auto fills with Thank you!)...It also keeps the sellers activity up to date.....gives awareness of how much something sold for...Allows the seller to catalogue the transaction much easier & seller gets an extra point.....admit it.....you'd love to be that seller that has 734896 FB score with 5.0 on your DSR stars, have a sparkly, shooting, animated, star with Top seller ratings badge.....LOL....and 99%. Sadly...those sellers are the ones who killed eBay by using overseas products DRASTICALLY reducing value on your own items to "not even worth donating".

Please take a lil bit more time to read my Guide.

What do sellers get from buyers.....Okay yeah true..The Buyer DID decide to invest in the seller and he's 'paid'. New customer(s) interest, "Follow this seller" is a possibility...., but loyalty is very rare when providing rare pre-owned items.

$ has value, FB is priceless....$25 is $25....gas and small bag of groceries..., but "Love the hat, much appreciated, A+" is like a tattoo on your account. The buyer gains trust, the item, and potentially a new provider for their needs.

Sellers typically wait to leave feedback UNLESS automated, UNTIL buyer leaves feedback......"You Tickle me, I Tickle you" Reciprocity. If a buyer does not leave FB....the seller has absolutely no official easily visible selling record whatsoever and only has FB received when buying. It's like..."I got what I paid for, seller should thank me, *lifts head up, turns and walks away* "Gee, I hope the rescue boats will not be too crowded."

TL;DR: Leave appropriate feedback for your purchases..you are IMO obligated to....at least those with proper etiquette would do so.
Sellers can't leave negative feedback for buyers, however can reply to negative feedback left by buyer. Buyers can do whatever they want, while eBay sides with buyer...causing sellers to leave eBay.

Here is my guide which repeats some of which I've said in this post..
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

eBay user ID: Honesteagle98

Author: Honesteagle98 Sunday, July 30th, 2017 NOT PERMISSION FREE

Ask permission to use any part of this post outside of BoardGameGeek

Reproduction, copy, public display, use for personal gain / profiteering of any part of: this post, eBay seller Honesteagle98 including his Guide, feedback score, active items for sale, seller terms, is strictly prohibited and is punishable with fines of up to.................

ONE MILLLIIIOON DOLLARS (evil laughter follows)

Thanks and please give me 5meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't actually know what neutral is officially for, but when I've used it i think it's been for when there's been an issue but it was beyond the seller's control, or, more probably, I wasn't sure whether it was or not so I wasn't happy but it could have been an honest mistake or the fault of the post office or whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
I always leave feedback, but many sellers don't understand how long it takes to post items to Australia. I regularly get "please close the deal and leave feedback" messages after 2-3 weeks. Delivery often takes over a month (the record is 13 weeks, surface mail from Ukraine that went via China).

I have the same issue with shipping stuff to NZ. I don't leave feedback until I get my stuff, but if I get nagged I don't leave feedback at all.

I'm getting grumpier as I get older.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
casualcasual wrote:
I don't actually know what neutral is officially for, but when I've used it i think it's been for when there's been an issue but it was beyond the seller's control, or, more probably, I wasn't sure whether it was or not so I wasn't happy but it could have been an honest mistake or the fault of the post office or whatever.

I used neutral recently for an item that got sent in a bin bag. True, it was a parcel of dimpled foam, but that isn't the point. I've always seen it as a way to say yes, I got what I bought, but there was something about the transaction about which I was not happy (in fact I'm sure that when I started buying stuff off e-bay about 15 years ago that's what their guidelines said). I use it to say there's something a bit dodgy about this seller, and treat it the same when I see it from others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Banichi wrote:
Ozludo wrote:

I have the same issue with shipping stuff to NZ. I don't leave feedback until I get my stuff, but if I get nagged I don't leave feedback at all.

I'm getting grumpier as I get older.

It hasn't happened for a long time, but I recall over ten years ago there were sellers who would routinely demand feedback as soon as they sent the item. E-bay encouraged us to report them, so I did, and as I said I've not seen it for a long time. I'm fairly sure I didn't leave feedback, and possibly responded quite rudely to their demand.

Can't imagine why anyone would ever leave feedback before they received, and could inspect, their item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
My choices, as I recall, were positive, neutral, or negative.

What is neutral for?

If they were a little bit slow in sending the item. If the packaging was a little underwhelming (although the item arrived in good condition). If you asked questions and they did not answer in a timely manner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmb
Back in the 90s buying something online was a big deal and scary to many people. The whole eBay thing was new and different ane people were afraid they would be scammed.

Now people are used to buying stuff online and no big deal. Buyer and seller ratings don't matter much to me anymore. I have confidence eBay and PayPal will do me right and if not my credit card company will.

Plus I don't use eBay a whole lot. Usually its just over priced used stuff I can buy cheaper new by the time I factor shipping and I don't have to deal with PayPal. EBay is for the odd out of print board game I mjght want. I can't think of any other reason to use it. I use to scour it for good deals on warhammer miniatures. But I found they end up being over priced for being used and I finally gave up on GW games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.