Popular Tags: [View All]
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mbmbmb
So I've been an eBay seller since the 90's, and over the years I've noticed that leaving feedback was once somewhat integral to the whole transaction, but these days as a seller I get less feedback now than ever. No one complains, my star ratings are still excellent, I'm rocking the whole Power-Seller, Top-Rated-Seller badges, but for some reason (especially in the past few years) I only get feedback for maybe 30-40% of my transactions.

Back in the day (*puts on old-man glasses and hikes up trousers*) feedback was kind of the primary means of "closing the deal." If the buyer leaves the seller feedback then that is sort of the "all clear" for the seller that the transaction has been completed successfully. I realize that eBay in the last decade has basically become almost completely pro-buyer, with sellers being treated somewhere below dog-shit on the scale of necessary evils, therefore leaving fb to buyers seems less useful than ever (not that I don't, I'm just saying that's seemingly the least-useful fb.) So call me old-fashioned (or just old) but when i buy on eBay I'm almost always leaving fb and typically do so within a day or so of receiving product.

So either buyers just don't care anymore, or the stuff I sell is terribly disappointing. Who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy comic books on eBay and I always leave feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it might be more fair to say that users don't care anymore. I remember back 10ish years ago is when my dad stopped using ebay when they started adding more "features". It became too much of an investment to put things up for how little he used it. These changes were to make ebay more of a store if I remember right. So it gave security to all which is nice but then why do we need a rating? Why do I need to know opinions on your reliability if reliability is just a fact?
[my data's a bit old, I stopped using ebay around the same time]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
I only leave feedback when buying hula hoops.

They are feedback loops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
fightcitymayor wrote:
So I've been an eBay seller since the 90's, and over the years I've noticed that leaving feedback was once somewhat integral to the whole transaction, but these days as a seller I get less feedback now than ever. No one complains, my star ratings are still excellent, I'm rocking the whole Power-Seller, Top-Rated-Seller badges, but for some reason (especially in the past few years) I only get feedback for maybe 30-40% of my transactions.

Back in the day (*puts on old-man glasses and hikes up trousers*) feedback was kind of the primary means of "closing the deal." If the buyer leaves the seller feedback then that is sort of the "all clear" for the seller that the transaction has been completed successfully. I realize that eBay in the last decade has basically become almost completely pro-buyer, with sellers being treated somewhere below dog-shit on the scale of necessary evils, therefore leaving fb to buyers seems less useful than ever (not that I don't, I'm just saying that's seemingly the least-useful fb.) So call me old-fashioned (or just old) but when i buy on eBay I'm almost always leaving fb and typically do so within a day or so of receiving product.

So either buyers just don't care anymore, or the stuff I sell is terribly disappointing. Who knows.

I always leave feedback, but I have noticed a few sellers that don't leave feedback (the last one I think was because they fucked up what they sent me and knew it, and so were just waiting to see what feedback I left).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Waller
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been an eBay seller since 1998 - I have never ever sollicited feedback as a seller and I have always left feedback when I was a seller. My numbers are FB left (as a seller) 2935 FB received (as a seller) 2063.

There is a very slight decline in FB people leave but not materially. Before it just happened much more that if you bought something you would be actively and sometimes repeatedly sollicited to leave FB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Don't eBay, myself.

"They" say you're supposed to withhold your feedback in case you need to expose a seller who tries to shaft you after the sale. Sold hot items or some such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Waller
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Don't eBay, myself.

"They" say you're supposed to withhold your feedback in case you need to expose a seller who tries to shaft you after the sale. Sold hot items or some such.

*rolls eyes* That has happened to you how often exaxtly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
TrustyJules wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Don't eBay, myself.

*rolls eyes* That has happened to you how often exaxtly?

*rolls eyes*

As noted, I don't use eBay.

You asked. I posted a possible reason. Feel free to ignore it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s quinn
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a buyer, i always leave feedback as soon as i receive the item. As a seller if someone does not leave feedback promptly after receiving my item, i hound them. I want the positive transactions. I know i look at others ratings as a potential buyer and hope they do the same for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmbmb
I admit, I usually am slow leaving feedback on ebay. I usually go in every now and again and add feedback all at once.

Plus, eBay makes it so hard to leave negative feedback, so I find what's the use. What does it prove?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think feedback was important when ebay started up because people were weary of being stuff on the internet, now it is no big deal so feedback is less important. use ebay so infrequently that I probably forget to leave feedback all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
I always leave feedback, but many sellers don't understand how long it takes to post items to Australia. I regularly get "please close the deal and leave feedback" messages after 2-3 weeks. Delivery often takes over a month (the record is 13 weeks, surface mail from Ukraine that went via China).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
MWChapel wrote:
I admit, I usually am slow leaving feedback on ebay. I usually go in every now and again and add feedback all at once.

Plus, eBay makes it so hard to leave negative feedback, so I find what's the use. What does it prove?

Does it? I left negative feedback last month (the fuck-up I mentioned above), and apart from an "are you sure you want to do this" screen, that was it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maui Chris
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Valentino Rossi Fan
badge
get this ball
mbmbmbmbmb
as a seller, i leave feedback as soon as payment is received & about 90% of the time get positive feedback when the buyer receives it.

as a buyer, if the seller didn't give me positive feedback for paying BEFORE i receive delivery, then i won't leave positive feedback, but in the rare case it's needed, i will still leave negative/neutral feedback if appropriate

When are you leaving feedback for the buyer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
I used eBay a long time ago.

Ordered the game. Got the game. No problem.

I left neutral feedback. Nothing amazing happened. I got what was advertised. It wasn't thrilling or bad.

I learned this is a faux pas.

The seller was concerned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Koldfoot wrote:
I used eBay a long time ago.

Ordered the game. Got the game. No problem.

I left neutral feedback. Nothing amazing happened. I got what was advertised. It wasn't thrilling or bad.

I learned this is a faux pas.

The seller was concerned.

Of course he was. You got what you bought without issue - why would you not leave positive feedback, which means just that? Positive feedback isn't "he provided some amazing service over and above what you bought", it is "he transacted in the expected reliable manner".

For many buyers, negative feedback of any non-tiny amount (say 1% or less) is an automatic reason to avoid. For a lot of those people, negative feedback is treated the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
My choices, as I recall, were positive, neutral, or negative.

What is neutral for?

When I get in and out of Walmart with no problems and what I came for, that is simply what I expected. Very neutral, unmemorable experience.

We view the world differently, it would seem.

I haven't looked, but it is very possible I have far more games rated as average than you. In my view, they aren't bad games. They are simply average and I like them. To others a rating of 5 or 6 is in the toilet. To me that is a perfectly fine game that doesn't stand out.

As for eBay, I now understand that rises to great, even exceptional, service. It never occurred to me at the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.