Subject: What comes first, smoke or defensive fire? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Wille
Germany
Herford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be trivial, but I checked the rules and searched the forum and found no answer...

Let's assume my squad spends 2 MF to place smoke into the hex in front of it, and let's also assume the placement was successful. One hex further, in a straight line behind the smoke-hex, sits an enemy squad, eligible for defensive first fire.

The enemy squad may fire twice on me, after I spent 2 MF, but will there be already smoke in the hex between us, or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me throw this thing!
mbmbmbmbmb
phxhf wrote:
Might be trivial, but I checked the rules and searched the forum and found no answer...

Let's assume my squad spends 2 MF to place smoke into the hex in front of it, and let's also assume the placement was successful. One hex further, in a straight line behind the smoke-hex, sits an enemy squad, eligible for defensive first fire.

The enemy squad may fire twice on me, after I spent 2 MF, but will there be already smoke in the hex between us, or not?

The infantry-smoke placement occurs before any fire against that placement attempt. So if your squad was successful, the ensuing defensive fire shot is modified by the smoke.

-N
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoke is placed after First Fire, but before Defensive Final Fire. This is what I understood from the rules in ASL 2nd edition under Smoke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
Smoke is placed after First Fire, but before Defensive Final Fire. This is what I understood from the rules in ASL 2nd edition under Smoke.

That wouldn't make any sense, because Infantry smoke is removed before DFPh anyway. Nadir has it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:

No, infantry smoke is REMOVED not PLACED the way you are describing!

24.11:

"immediately REMOVED at the end of the attacker's Mph AFTER all opposing FIRST FIRE, but before any defensive FINAL FIRE"

The smoke counter is placed the instant the MF are expended, i.e. a successful placement results in an immediate protection. Think of it as any other MF expenditure - when you move from an open terrain hex into a building (discounting snap shots) you ARE immediately considered to be IN the building - there is no "I have to move through the open in my starting hex" - the same holds true for smoke placement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Wille
Germany
Herford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks. This is what I hoped. I played it like that, but maybe I started thinking too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.