$15.00
$5.00
$20.00
$30.00
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Keyper» Forums » General

Subject: The waving Keyper keyple... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I just watched the video interview, and took a look at the intended special KS meeples, when I saw something that immediately triggered some unfavorable connotation in my mind...

I gather that these special meeples have a front side and a back side, with each being different (showing the meeple once as a front view and once as a view from "behind"), right? I assume this is the case, because other character meeples were designed similarly.

If so, it might be an idea to look into the possibility to reverse sides on the four keyples, so that they wave with their left arm, instead of their right. As it is, the angle and all can suggest (or be perceived as suggesting) a different posture...

Now, I am not very squeamish or see it as a problem when such things come up, as I can differentiate between wrongful interpretation and intention. Still, even I had this connotation triggered when I saw the keyples. So it might be deemed inappropriate or offensive by others.

I don't know. Maybe I am blowing this out of proportion. And as I said, it does not perturb me, really. Still, it might be an idea to look into simply exchanging front and back by mirroring the sides...


If, on the other hand, the front of the meeple is the same as the back (both showing the front view), then nothing can be done, and there will be a left arm and right arm movement. Should not be a problem, then...

Hope this helps...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schröder

Wien
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
exactly what i´ve thought, seeing them standing all together...

i´d guess this kind of sensibility is probably a german speciality!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it might be.
But there are also others who know the gesture, and associate the same with it. Even though they might not be as sensitive regarding this issue...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schröder

Wien
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe they get lured into playing board games by meeples like this... -would make the streets safer at night!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
whelp, can't unsee that...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quietcorn wrote:
whelp, can't unsee that...

Damn, me too. Hilarious.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It was the first thing that popped into my mind, too. But I think this is a special German thing. But mentioning it might be good...

Did you guys see the figures in the Portal boardgame? Looks like a whole Nazi crowd...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
bayerbube wrote:
But I think this is a special German thing.


I don't think it is.
I think we are more prone to see it early, and it will make us cringe a lot more. But I think others will see it, too. Not at first, maybe, and then they will rather joke about it, but still, the notion is there. It's not like the gesture is not known (and used, seriously or as joke/ridicule) all over the world...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Brankov
Serbia
Novi Sad
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First I thought you gotta be joking that this thing is bothering you... Then I went back and took a look at the meeples... Yup! It's there
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyzis?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
dukelander wrote:
First I thought you gotta be joking that this thing is bothering you... Then I went back and took a look at the meeples... Yup! It's there


It does not really bother me, but it might others.
I just thought it would be a good idea to bring this up as early as possible, so that maybe something can still be done.
...IF they want to do something, that is (not saying they have to)...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't germans invent that little fucking meeple shape?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Didn't germans invent that little fucking meeple shape?

...your point being...?
shake

The shape of the meeple, no matter who invented it, does not lend itself to such connotations. The shape is abstract enough. It is the printing ON the meeple that does so.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
I just watched the video interview, and took a look at the intended special KS meeples, when I saw something that immediately triggered some unfavorable connotation in my mind...

I gather that these special meeples have a front side and a back side, with each being different (showing the meeple once as a front view and once as a view from "behind"), right? I assume this is the case, because other character meeples were designed similarly.
This is not the case. The Meeple Source meeples are the same on the back and the front, as are most of their other keyples.
Dumon wrote:
If so, it might be an idea to look into the possibility to reverse sides on the four keyples, so that they wave with their left arm, instead of their right. As it is, the angle and all can suggest (or be perceived as suggesting) a different posture...
This is not relevant as they are the same back and front.
Dumon wrote:
Now, I am not very squeamish or see it as a problem when such things come up, as I can differentiate between wrongful interpretation and intention.
Ok, that is good. I'm assuming that all you can see are the Village People dancing YMCA?
Dumon wrote:
Still, even I had this connotation triggered when I saw the keyples. So it might be deemed inappropriate or offensive by others.
The waving Keyples have featured previously in Carcassonne (where they originated) and in Keyflower. No one has had a problem with them previously. It is not an unusual dance move.
Dumon wrote:
I don't know. Maybe I am blowing this out of proportion.
Possibly.
Dumon wrote:
And as I said, it does not perturb me, really.
Really. Then that is good. There is no reason they should.
Dumon wrote:
Still, it might be an idea to look into simply exchanging front and back by mirroring the sides...
Which we have! The sides are mirrored[/q]
Dumon wrote:
If, on the other hand, the front of the meeple is the same as the back (both showing the front view), then nothing can be done, and there will be a left arm and right arm movement.
Nor needs to be done.
Dumon wrote:
Should not be a problem, then...
Cool. Problem solved. They can continue to tango :-)
Dumon wrote:

Hope this helps...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
bayerbube wrote:
But I think this is a special German thing.


I don't think it is.
I think we are more prone to see it early, and it will make us cringe a lot more. But I think others will see it, too. Not at first, maybe, and then they will rather joke about it, but still, the notion is there. It's not like the gesture is not known (and used, seriously or as joke/ridicule) all over the world...
Of course no offence was intended or even thought of. Apologies if any was taken.

You may find eleven different adverts on BGG. Some of them show the keyples left hand in the air.

I will bear your comments in mind when I produce the graphics for the actual game. So your comment was worth making. The KS graphics will disappear in 20 days so I'm minded to think it is not worth amending at this stage. Hope this is Ok with you guys and gals.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the second comment.
I actually thought you wanted to ridicule me...

Anyways, it was never my intention to tell you it should be changed (not my place), simply to state something you might think about whether or not it warrants a change.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It's true, I would never have thought of it, but now you mention it...

Definitely one of those things that is in the eye of the beholder, but given some people's sensitivity, it is also something that is best pointed out now before the graphics are finalised.

Susie_Cat.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Thanks for the second comment.
I actually thought you wanted to ridicule me...

Anyways, it was never my intention to tell you it should be changed (not my place), simply to state something you might think about whether or not it warrants a change.
Hello Dumon,

No. Definitely not. But it was genuinely the way I first saw them. It was simply a graphic from the US supplier that I reproduced. I'm sure they did not make the connection either.

I have amended the main image on the KS page which is the one most viewed. Your comments were valuable, so apologies for any offence caused by my first reply.

Best wishes, Richard
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.