Alien vs Predator: The Hunt Begins» Forums » General

Subject: Alien Eggs, Chestbursters and Implantation Ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matt parsons
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Me and the guys we played with never liked how the facehuggers spawned a full flegged alien after a successful facehug. After tossing the idea around and some discussion, we came up with some interesting and more movie faithful mechanics.

I made 5 alien egg markers and created a card (see the files area). They cost 5 point per egg but create an interesting alien factor for area denial, similar to the humans use of doors and become a potential hazard and spawning point for a facehugger.

Then I made 5 chestbursters and a game card (see the files) which was rather simple with some green stuff, since the chestbursters look like bloody snakes covered in gore. The chestbursters now become a short-term intermediate life-cycle after implantation. If you don't kill them quickly enough, they will grow rather quickly

Alien Eggs
An egg marker represents a hidden egg placed at the start of play in any infested tile. Any non-alien opposing model entering a tile with an egg marker must roll 1d20. On a roll of 18-20, the egg token is removed and a Facehugger is spawned on that tile and may act during the same turn it spawned. An alien player may choose to activate an egg token on their turn to remove an egg token and place a Facehugger into play. Whenever a Facehugger is spawned by use of an egg token, it only receives 1 Action that turn. An Egg token can only be destroyed by use of a grenade, flamethrower, or explosive autohit attack and cannot be targeted with normal weapons.

Facehugger Implantation
A successful Facehugger attack results a Chestburster implantation. At the start of that figures activation each turn they must roll 1d20. On a roll of 11-20, the figures turn is interrupted and they are removed from play. A Chestburster alien is then put in play. When a Chestburster is spawned, it only receives 1 Action that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clark
United States
Brevard County
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Carter
msg tools
You and I have a similar thought process lol!

I have been developing a game mode for AVP that actually includes stuff like egg mechanics. In short it deals with the alien life cycle (skipping the chestburster stage however for a gameplay element) where the queen gets an action that allows it to lay eggs, alien infants can "mature" into full blown warriors, etc...

I have all the models I need to play test the mode but I am finishing painting them all before I do. Should be able to post it around Christmas time... hopefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt parsons
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Yeah, many players griped and rolled their eyes when a Facehugger yielded a full grown mature alien and killed the host in the same turn. That kinda got our minds working around the chestburster idea.

We're trying the egg tokens out soon. Seems like it will provide an interesting mechanic for causing the marines to have to cleanse or run through egg tiles which seems to kinda even out with the marines abiity to spawn doors.

My only thoughts about the queen laying eggs is this, the game goes fast. That's why we set the chestbursters for a 3rd turn maturization rate. Anything game mechanic you put in play which requires more than 3 turns is too long in my opinion and too much to keep up with.

Please let me know your thoughts on rules for queen egg laying, I'd like to know what you came up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt parsons
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
here are some pics of my new modified gamecards relating to the chestburster and eggs.

Subtile changes made to the alien and predator cards. The Plasma Caster Predator now already has a Self-Destruct device. I also corrected the Disc Throwers Card per the update.

Made the rules and images better and added my new grenade rules to both sets of cards.

Making new cards is relatively easy if you have a basic working skill with Paint. You can make endless custom cards for figures here is a template to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Carter
msg tools
While eventually I will post the full rule list for the gamemode it wouldn't hurt to give a little synapsis

The game mode has it's own prearranged map with set up objectives for each of the species. The map is large enough for it to take several turns for any single species to cross the width of it, however due to the Predators primary objective being to take a trophy from the queen, I opted to skip over creating a chestburster stage. Especially since the Alien starting force is the queen and 5 stalkers and the Predator starting force is 3 adult Predators and 3 Young Bloods. (Each species have their own "special" rules for force growth in this mode)

The queen receives 2 new extended actions. One is Egg laying where the queen lays 5 eggs on whatever tile she is currently on. The rules for eggs are similar to what you have with a couple differences.

1. Eggs don't have an armor save and can be targeted by any weapon, however they automatically have a "hidden" status so any weapon that targets them gets an automatic -10 to RS.
2. Anything that runs into or through a tile with an egg sets off the egg like a landmine, the Facehugger gets 1 chance to attack whatever moved through the tile.
3. Eggs can be picked up and moved using "Carrying a Token" rules by any alien except large based (Queen, Crusher)

The other extended action is Queen's Call. Added because the alien player will constantly be replacing units, this makes it so the alien Ping tokens are still unpredictable. The Alien player chooses one unengaged tile with alien ping tokens on it and can shuffle those ping tokens. I know that you can just say that the player could do this anyway but I like the idea of them having to specifically choose when and where to do this.

This is just an extremely brief look at what I have been working on (the actual file is nearly 10 pages)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt parsons
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I like the idea of making the eggs "hidden". That makes them hard to target but targetable by Predators too. Good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom En
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattytom2 wrote:

Then I made 5 chestbursters and a game card (see the files) which was rather simple with some green stuff, since the chestbursters look like bloody snakes covered in gore.

we want to see pictures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt parsons
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I'll post some of my own chestburster pics soon, I didn't have any on my phone available.

They were done after I had seen this miniature. I made the mouth smaller on mine but this should give you the general idea.

I'd strongly suggest anyone new to miniature painting to purchase Tamiya Red paint. It creates the most amazing blood/gore effects you can put on a miniature. The yellow and green make the best slimes. That's one of the best model paint purchases I've ever made.

I did happen to have a few other pics of some other figures I put together, I'll go ahead and post while I'm here.

Someone suggested making a Jonesy objective token, I had a Reaper miniature cat sitting around and fabricated a carrier out of an old Heroclix mailbox. This is not finished painting yet but I'm happy with it. Both the marines and aliens can track that down.

Here are my egg tokens made with green stuff before paint was applied. Pretty simple to make. The man in the back right was assembled from bits from Mad Robot miniatures, a piece of sprue molding to serve as a metal frame and hot glue from a glue gun. I was careful to just barely encase the figure leaving most of the body head and chest exposed.

Now the marines can use him as a rescue objective to free, if he hasn't been implanted already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parsons
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
some of my chesthuggers. Made with thin snake like rolls of green stuff on wire. Very easy to make and cover with blood/gore.
a cocooned marine
Ripley and some custom marine and weyland mercs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radomir B.
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice.:-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.