Popular Tags: [View All]
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Spring is upon us and baseball is back! Lets go Mets!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Suppose you take an action card, but decline to carry out its actions and instead use it to upgrade one of your train cards. I assume that this is equivalent to taking a card that allows you to upgrade a train car of your choice (as outlined in page 7 of the rules). Specifically, one of the things you could do is add a 0 car to one of your trains (rather than upgrading an existing car). Is this interpretation correct? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can take a zero, you can only do an upgrade. If you want zeros, you can pay for them with coins or use cards that have the take zero icon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agree with Lorna.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Spring is upon us and baseball is back! Lets go Mets!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses, guys. I was asking because the rules really don't cover this. They list it as an option and say to refer to pages 6 and 7 and then don't discuss it there. The only card similar to the upgrade alternative is the ? Upgrade, which permits taking a 0 car, which led to my assumption. Plus, in our first game, none of the Take a 0 Car cards came out during the first round, which made me think that this might be a way of gaining cars. Now that I've played a game, I think you're both right--spending coins seems like a common way of adding cars and an unlimited upgrade is much more powerful than adding a 0 car. Still, I wish they would have devoted a short section in the rules for what happens when you choose to ignore the actions on a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The German rules say
Regel p. 5 wrote:
Dafür führst du eine Aufwertung eines Waggons deiner Wahl durch.
(bold is in the original) The section on page 7 is titled "Aufwertung eines Waggons deiner Wahl," and includes the note that you may instead add a value-0 train.

So, my understanding is that when you ignore the action on a card and choose to instead upgrade an existing train car, you may use that to take a value-0 train-car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NikolasCo wrote:
The German rules say
Regel p. 5 wrote:
Dafür führst du eine Aufwertung eines Waggons deiner Wahl durch.
(bold is in the original) The section on page 7 is titled "Aufwertung eines Waggons deiner Wahl," and includes the note that you may instead add a value-0 train.

So, my understanding is that when you ignore the action on a card and choose to instead upgrade an existing train car, you may use that to take a value-0 train-car.

I agree with NikolasCo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is there an official word on this? I played last night for the first time. I couldnt find the exact part in the rules as to what happens when you forego an action on a card.

When foregoing the action can you instead upgrade ANY car by one level? For example, a lvl 7 to a lvl 12?

And like the original post, can you take a lvl 0 car instead of upgrading when you forego an action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if you forego a card's action, you may upgrade any car by one level, following the usual rules for upgrading, of course (car to the left must have higher or equal level than car to the right).

OR you may take one level 0 car.

You still keep the card, don't forget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok cool thanks. I traded a copy of Voyages of Marco Polo to get this game and Im quite happy with it, although still a little sad to see Marco Polo go. It just wasnt getting played. On the other hand i think First Class will get played a lot more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are great games, but First Class plays a lot faster and is somewhat more accessible - enjoy it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well there was something about Marco Polo i just wasnt too crazy about. It seemed like there were limited strategies to pursue, dictated mostly by your special ability. But now i learned there is an expansion coming in the fall.

I also got Trambahn along with first class and i couldnt believe how good trambahn is! I would still say it was a great trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.