10 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can Emergency Cache be used on Flashlight? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Hardy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
1st game trying to get a grip on the rules.

Emergency Cache (asset) has the trait: supply.

Whilst the Flashlight uses supplies.

So if I play Emergency Cache can I put the resources (as supplies) on the Flashlight? (If I have the Flashlight already in play that is.)

Plus can I split the 3 resources I get from Emergency Cache between putting them on the Flashlight, and putting them in my characters resource pool?

[Under "Uses" in the rules reference it says: "Other cards may reference and interact with uses of a specified type, usually by adding uses of that type to a card, or using uses of that type for other purposes." I think this means that Emergency Cache can be used on Flashlight.]

Thanks for any clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Whitford
msg tools
mbmbmb
Traits can be referenced by other cards, but do nothing on their own. So no, you cannot put the resources on the Flashlight, in order to do that the card would need to explicitly state that you can place supplies on a card (it is such cards that the rules reference is referring to).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There will be cards in upcoming expansions that explicitly add supplies back to cards. We've seen a preview of a card that adds tokens to cards that use ammo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor S
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
You are inventing the rule that you can gain resources as supplies. Cache says "gain 3 resources." Flashlight says "Uses (3 supplies)." Supplies on flashlight are a unique token for that card and not a generic resource. So they are apples and oranges.

Extra ammunition explicitly says "Place 3 ammo tokens on a firearm..." rather than "gain resources" so in this case it you could "reload" an asset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
That’s a lot of straws you are clutching at there my friend.
Is the fight against the Mythos going so badly?
Maybe play it on a lower difficulty level.

Phoenix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
PeterHardy33 wrote:
"Other cards may reference and interact with uses of a specified type, usually by adding uses of that type to a card, or using uses of that type for other purposes."

Emphasis mine. If a card does not explicitly reference "supplies" or "ammo" or "secrets" or what have you, it cannot interact with that type of use. Extra Ammunition adds "ammo," Book of Shadows adds "charges," etc.

Also, uses are not resources, nor vice versa. You use resource tokens to keep track of uses, but they are not in any way interchangeable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hardy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the answers everyone. So that is a resounding no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hardy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Phoenix_Bird wrote:
That’s a lot of straws you are clutching at there my friend.
Is the fight against the Mythos going so badly?
Maybe play it on a lower difficulty level.

Phoenix

Well actually the funny thing is I didn't use the Emergency Cache on the Flashlight, even when I still interpreted the rules incorrectly. (So will never consider doing so again!) I used the card on a skill test :-) But as for Mythos Battles going badly. Ended up half-blowing up the Ghoul Priest with dynamite and then brutally breaking a knife into him, real Horrorshow Clockwork Orange style. Gangsta Fed, with a weakness for "Covering Up" the truth from the people. Though the Zealot seems to have another angle on that line of business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Choong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrFunkenstein wrote:
You are inventing the rule that you can gain resources as supplies. Cache says "gain 3 resources." Flashlight says "Uses (3 supplies)." Supplies on flashlight are a unique token for that card and not a generic resource. So they are apples and oranges.

I've just gotten the game and am going through the rules. I like to ask, once we pay 2 resources to play Flashlight and put it on the table, does it immediately comes with 3 resources on the card to indicate the "Uses: 3 Supplies". I mean I first put 3 resource tokes on Flashlight and each time I use it, I will discard one resource token. Is that the correct play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Yes, thats how uses cards work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.