Defenders of the Realm» Forums » General

Subject: Buying extra things rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
El Solitario
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,

I like the game and I have the base, the Dragon expansion (the first and not the newer), plus the three expansions of hero and the barbarian female.

I want add more to the game with the old school style of the game.
Can anyone help me to point which items are available (I am talking with a shop to bring some)?

For now I am considering the errant paladin, and the
Global Effect Cards.
I want to get more but I must choose wisely which items are the best investment.
The only thing is that I no want to mix the old art with the new (from second edition of dragon).

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard! You're already off to a great start with Defenders of the Realm. There's plenty of good content already in your collection.

Here's the full list of supplements that are listed on BGG:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&ob...

The errant paladin is just the paladin character with the bonus ability listed below. You could save some money by skipping him.

Broadsword of Might
Rolling Doubles of any number when attacking two or more minions defeats all the minions at a location.

Based on what you already own and your requirements, I'd recommend:

Global Efects Deck
Quest Deck

The Global Effect Deck replaces the "All is Quiet" cards to add some extra variability and excitement to the game.

The Quest Deck replaces the small cards with larger playing sized cards along with brand new Quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
I sound like a broken record on this: but the Quest Deck really takes the game to a new level. The quests are very tempting to beat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
PICKERING
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I also want to buy more stuff for this game but holding back in case they
decide to publish the second edition base game (with the art that matches the 2nd edition Dragon expansion and the recent hero expansions).

I have the base game + dragon expansion 1st edition & the 3 hero expansions which their art matches very well together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rayzor6 wrote:
I sound like a broken record on this: but the Quest Deck really takes the game to a new level. The quests are very tempting to beat

And, they distract players from completing the game's victory conditions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Solitario
Spain
flag msg tools
I checked the web-shop of Eagle to list all things that I don´t have and are compatible with the old school style:
- 28 Global Effects
- 7 Global Effects Dragon Exp.
- Errant Paladin
- Legends Deck
- Dwarf Noble
- Quest
- Realm in flames and Darkness spread
- Relics & High Council
- Wind of War

Are all recommended or only some?

Also I saw 2 new packs of heores, I guess that those use the new style in the placard. So to use those, is mandatory to update all the placards for heroes and generals or there is some more?

In last place, there is some more suggestion/advice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mb
I really love the 4 minion expansions. They give you a new set of miniatures for each of the 4 factions, and give you alternate abilities for them to make the game harder.

I'm just playing with these miniatures for now, and the board looks way cooler thanks to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the alternate generals pack. Having different generals to face really changes up the game, IMO. I think these generals have the newer artwork, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Solitario
Spain
flag msg tools
The 4 minion expansion and the alternate generals have the same artwork that the first edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mb
Solinete wrote:
The 4 minion expansion and the alternate generals have the same artwork that the first edition?

I let you be the judge of that:

http://www.eggrules.com/s/cc_images/teaserbox_6079620.jpg?t=...

Though The only artwork is on these small boards, since it's mostly for the miniatures that you pick this expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
The graphic design layout of the alternate general placards is different from the Dragon Expansion 2nd Edition and the first edition general placards. The images of the generals are newly commissioned artwork and weren't taken from Larry Elmore's portfolio.

On the plus side, the alternate general miniatures are larger and more detailed - making the generals easier to pick out on the game board. They can also be substituted for the original game general figures. In many respects, the alternate generals are tougher versions of the base game generals.

The list you generated earlier would give you all the content with a 1st edition graphic design layout, or a layout that didn't exist in the case of the Relics, High Council, Legends, and Winds of War decks. I didn't find anything in the new decks that bothered my design sensibilities. I quick rundown on the new content:

Relics cards give the generals an opportunity to acquire a powerful artifact that makes them harder to defeat every time they move. The heroes have an opportunity to steal the artifact from the generals by spending action points and rolling dice.

The High Council cards provide a benefit to the heroes in most instances.

Legends cards provides a small benefit for the heroes along with an origin story. One or two of the cards can be detrimental - mostly cards that require the hero to encounter/defeat all enemies of a specific type in a space before the hero can do anything else (the realm can burn so long as I get that orc!)

Winds of War applies a random penalty for every 3 purple cards the heroes play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.